1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Kubicki 18v preamp question

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by Jeff Bonny, Jul 29, 2012.

1. Jeff Bonny

Jeff Bonny Supporting Member

Nov 20, 2000
    Vancouver, BC
    Does standby mode completely bypass the battery allowing you to leave it plugged in without any significant drain? I've sifted through a couple hundred threads here and no one has talked about it that I could find.
    Thanks.

2. Battery switching with active/passive switches is very uncommon for three reasons.

First off, it requires three poles, which means standard push/pull pots or DPDT switches will not work, and specialized 3PDT mini-toggles must be used. Second, preamps usually put out a pop when powered on. You don't want to hear this when switching to active mode. Third, the current consumption of most preamps usually ranges from hundreds of microAmps with low-power opamps, to a few milliAmps with discrete FETs and such. This is far too low for anyone to care about battery life.

3. Jeff Bonny

Nov 20, 2000
    Vancouver, BC
    Thanks for that very clear explanation. After over three decades of basses with batteries I still regularly forget to unplug and even with a low draw devise doing that burns batteries pretty fast. I'm acquiring an Ex Factor and kinda had my hopes up....I guess was looking for technology to pick up the slack for my bad habits.

4. sirmoog

sirmoog

May 12, 2012
    Sharjah, UAE
    According to my Kubicki manual, it says the following about the standby position:

"All controls are completely off. This position is handy for changing strings or in other situations where you want no output. This position does not disconnect the batteries".

So I'm guessing that your batteries will still be functioning in this position only when you are plugged in and not working when you're plugged out.

5. Jeff Bonny

Nov 20, 2000
    Vancouver, BC
    Yes, that confirms it. Thanks,
    The Ex Factor I was going for fell through but I'm still looking.

6. adriandmello

adriandmello

Dec 6, 2007
    well even i am looking really hard for an ex factor an good condition(price not an issue)....if you come across one pls pls do drop me a line preferably a PM....cheers.. thanks

Adrian

7. adriandmello

adriandmello

Dec 6, 2007
    Still very keenly looking for an ex factor. Genuine buyer. Pl pm me. Preferably if you are in the US