1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Kudos to the mods...

Discussion in 'Bluegrass [DB]' started by M Ramsey, Aug 29, 2007.

1. M Ramsey

M Ramsey

Mar 12, 2005
    North Carolina
    ...for giving us the space to delve into our own world of madness with regards to that formidible piece of furniture, the upright bass. :D

Just to get the ball rolling with a bit of history, I think it's a wonderful thing that the IBMA (International Bluegrass Music Association) is inducting Howard Watts aka/Cedric Rainwater into it's hall of fame during the IBMA festivities in Nashville in October.

He was a bass player for Bill Monroe, auditioning for Monroe in the latter part of 1943. He also played a couple of years with Flatt & Scruggs form 1948 through 1950.

for more info go here:

http://www.ibma.org/Articles/ViewArticle.aspx?ArticleId=442

Thanks,

2. Damon Rondeau

Damon Rondeau Journeyman Clam Artist Supporting Member

Nov 19, 2002
    Winnipeg, baby
    Wasn't he a big part of Bill's ball team, too? :)

3. Gufenov

Gufenov

Jun 8, 2003
    I'll second the kudos. Thanks for listening!

4. Yes, Kudos! I am a bit slow, and didn't realize for about three posts that the split had happened; Got out of the forum completely before I realized what was happening.

5. Jake deVilliers

Jake deVilliers Commercial User

May 24, 2006
    Crescent Beach, BC
    Owner of The Bass Spa, String Repairman at Long & McQuade Vancouver
    "didn't realize for about three posts that the split had happened"

Me too!

Nice work Mike, in making it known that we needed a quieter, tat-free place to talk bluegrass. :)

6. I posted this in the other active topic. Yes I second the "Kudos To The Mods." Thanks Mike for getting the ball rolling and suggesting the separation.

7. Thank you very, very much, Bluegrass is my first love.

8. superman

superman

Mar 5, 2007
    Nashville Tenn
    Heres a photo for you of ole Ced when he worked with Hank Williams.Ced went to work for Hank after the Flatt&Scruggs job, he latter worked with Hank Snow also as well as several other Opry artist.
    Back when I worked for Jimmy Martin he spoke very highly of Ced,Jimmy loved 4beat bass and I would often hit a few lines and just watch his head spin around with that sh-- eatin grin
    and he'd start bouncing around dancing like he always did.
    He told me that when he was working for Monroe that they
    did'nt have a regular bass player, just Bessie,which in his words wasnt much,but one night at the Opry Hank grabbed Bill and said" just look who I hired Monroe',Ole Ced"
    Jimmy told Monroe you need to get him back
    but Monroes pay was not even close to what he was making with Hank. Jimmy said that him and Bill and Hank would often sing together backstage,and he said it was really good. too bad it never got recorded somehow,,
    I hope the photo comes out ,,,Kent

9. I always learn some good new stuff when you drop in Superman :D . I have had that same grin a few times listening to your 4-beat walking "country" bass lines (and slappin' :p ). I'm hoping that today or Monday the pony express will deliver the Bear Family Jimmy Martin Box Set CD's that I ordered. Then I can hear some of those "good ole bass boys" Joe Zinkan and Cedric and imagine Jimmy bouncing and dancing. Right now I can't decide which bass-playin' I like better ..... bluegrass or old "real" country (Hanks W. and S., Ray Price, Roy Acuff, Merle Travis, etc.). Guess I will just have to listen to a boatload of both and try to learn the different bass lines. Speaking of country stuff ... I'm having a helluva time locating where to buy CD with you, Mike Webb, and Charlie Collins. Help !?!? Listenin' to you on the bass and Mike on the resophonic on that one instrumental made me think that Junior Huskey and Brother Oswald had been resurrected ;) !

Edit: Home for lunch ..... the Jimmy Martin Box Set made it :hyper: . Not only do I get to hear Cedric and Joe Zinkan but also Junior Huskey, Bill Yates, and Lightnin' Chance ... gonna be a good week-end.

10. superman

superman

Mar 5, 2007
    Nashville Tenn
    Good deal Bob, You'll enjoy the Jimmy box for sure,,some of the best bass playing that I know of is on his recordings.
    All truth be known the playing on Jimmys records that Junior,or Joe did is about the same as what they would have played on any other country record at the time.
    I have learned alot from Juniors playing on Lorretta Lynns records,and use alot of that style when playing bluegrass.,Its really not that different.I also recomend the Osbornes Bluegrass collection,its a cd on CMH,, Bob Moore plays on it and man its some fine playing from Bob, it dates from about 1980.Back to Cedric,, I'll try to send the pic to Mike Ramsey and see if he can post it,,I don't know much about all these jpgs things,,,,Latter,,Kent

11. You got that right Kent :D ! 146 songs and instrumentals and a great little history book on Jimmy and the bands. Best money I've spent lately ('cept for maybe my '40 Kay). God Bless Sneedville Tennessee America and G-Run Jimmy. Man I love his energy, rhythm playing, and singing. That's bluegrass. You were lucky (and mighty talented :) ) to get to play with Jimmy. I have listened to a fair amount of Jimmy and our band and jam pals attempt to play and sing Jimmy's stuff but it sure is great to hear his full early historical range of music.

It's wonderful to hear "Ole Ced" Rainwater and 4 other godfathers of bluegrass / country upright bass playing. They all better get inducted into the Hall of Fame at some point in time. I really like Lightnin' Chance's playing on the fast instrumentals. Now I gotta get that Osbourne Bros collection with Bob Moore on bass that you mentioned. This journey could get expensive :p .

12. AXNellie

AXNellie

Aug 21, 2007
    Canton, NY
    Very glad to see Bluegrass separated into it's own forum -- many thanks to the moderators!

13. dvmweb

dvmweb

Apr 20, 2002
    Atlanta MI 49709
    Tanx youse guys, too!

14. M Ramsey

M Ramsey

Mar 12, 2005
    North Carolina
    Much, much later I come up with this:

HankandCed.

This was when real country music was being made!

15. MR PC

MR PC Banned

Dec 1, 2007
    Bump forward in time for a great moment caught with the photo lens!:)

16. bass_snake

bass_snake Banned

Aug 13, 2008
    Stouffville, Ontario
    Bluegrass rules!

Fred

17. Gearhead43

Gearhead43

Nov 25, 2007
    NorCal
    and another thread rises from the dead.........:eek:

18. MR PC

MR PC Banned

Dec 1, 2007
    and another thread
    rises from the dead

I did not ree-lize you was a poet!;)

In this photo, you've got Hank Williams looking very happy and less dead drunk than usual, Hank Garland looking absolutely brilliant, and Cedric Rainwater looking pretty darn happy to be making music with fellow stellar artists for a living.

And they've all been dead much longer than this thread. :D

19. superman

superman

Mar 5, 2007
    Nashville Tenn
    Hank was not always drunk,,this seems to be a great myth,,I knew Don Helms very well,, and he and Hank were close pals,,and he really hated the fact that Hank was made out to be such a drunk when that really wasnt the truth,,Also thats not Hank Grland in this pic,,his pickguard reads Blackie,,but not sure who he is,,will do some checking,Kent

20. superman

superman

Mar 5, 2007
    Nashville Tenn
    Ok a little search and here we have it,, Harvey T. “Blackie” Bennett, Jr. Blackie Bennett got his music career started relatively late, just starting to play the guitar in 1945, but like many back then, had his career on pause while he served in his stint in the U.S. Army. After he left the service, he managed his dad's tourist camp site for a time, but during his free time, he played at the local dances. Soon, he began appearing on the local Richmond, Virginia radio stations - WRVA, WMBG and WLEE.

In 1952, he joined the WSM Grand Ole Opry in Nashville as a featured guitarist with the late Hank Williams' backup on the show. He was also picked to be a featured guitarist on the NBC Network shows - "Duke of Paducah" and "The Opry Gang". After a thirteen week stint, he joined the band of Martha Carson and was appearing on all of her radio shows and personal appearances, too.