Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

L2500 Vs. Bongo 5?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Kaspar Vadsholt, Jun 21, 2005.

1. In my local music store there's an absolutely gorgeous G&L Custom L2500, ebony fingerboard, beautiful midnight blue finish.
    But I've also thinking about getting a Bongo 5. It's definetly a more modern axe, having 24 frets and optional piezo. The problem is that the store doesn't want to take the chance and ordering an exotic instrument such as the Bongo, unless I promise to buy it. Here in Denmark, where I live, I haven't spotted a single Bongo yet, so it's probably a general attitude.
    So, have any of you fellow bassists tried to A/B the L2500 and the Bongo 5. And if yes, what's your opinion. (It's a mighty fine one, that L2500...)

Thanks,

Kaspar Vadsholt :help:

2. Worshiper

Worshiper

Aug 13, 2004
    New York
    Bongo five. The most versitile bass you can buy imo.

3. Joe Nerve

Joe Nerve Supporting Member

Oct 7, 2000
    New York City
    Endorsing artist: Musicman basses, Hipshot products
    I played a bunch of G&Ls in stores and was never overly impressed. The Bongo has brought me to my knees. Sold just about all my other basses - my Sterling is going this week.

4. Thanks, you both seem very convinced, so I just might do it. But how's the acoustic sound coming frfom the bass unplugged? Is it resonant?
    I can't stand basses that don't have a nice acoustic "ring".

Kaspar

5. Joe Nerve

Oct 7, 2000
    New York City
    "Sounded great right out of the box." For some reason that's a bass review cliche that makes me want to puke these days. I really really really hope they never print that line again in any bass magazine ever. :)

As for it's resonance unplugged I gotta admit I'm clueless. I never gave much thought to the acoustic sound of my electric basses. It has lots of sustain if that's what your looking for. Not as bright sounding as My Sterling, but the Sterling has a maple neck.

Genuinely curious - why is the unplugged sound important to you?

6. IndyBass

IndyBass

Jun 11, 2005
    Central Indiana
    How's the "B" string on that Bongo, Joe? I played one in a store last week, and found the "B" to be a bit mushy and unfocused. That was just one bass, I know. How's yours?

Eric

7. Joe Nerve

Oct 7, 2000
    New York City
    I only had a 5 string for a week, then sent it back. I had the single coil and decided I wanted the double humbucker. It's due to arive sometime in August. For the week I had it, it seemed really clear and defined to me. I haven't heard any complaints but you might want to ask some of the guys who have the 5 strings for a while.

8. embellisher

embellisher Holy Ghost filled Bass Player Staff Member Supporting Member

Both are very nice basses. I prefer the Bongo, but wouldn't kick the G&L out of bed.

9. Mmmmm. :)

The L2000/L2500's are really versatile.

I have not tried a Bongo, but ask over on this site...
    Dudepit

I know a few of them have.

10. metron

metron Fluffy does not agree

Sep 12, 2003
    Lakewood Colorado
    Ive played 4 string versions of both basses. I really like both so thats a tough call. Did you try the G&L? Does it call to you? The Bongo is more versatile EQ wise but the G&L can be passive or active which I really like. I dont think I would be able to decide myself. Sorry I cant help! :p

11. 0557

Apr 12, 2004
    I have to agree with Jack on the Bongo, Its like a swiss army knife when it comes to the EQ section.
    As for the B string, I do find it softer sounding and not as punchy as my Stingray.
    But that may be due to mine being fretless.
    And strings play a part in this. I still have the EB slinkys from the factory on it. they sound great on the SR5, and on the bongo they're fine except for 130. I'm going to try some TI's
    or Sadowskys. But I'm not going to make a career out of it.

12. -Well, it might has something to do with me being an upright player too..
    Or the fact that my first good electric was a Squier JB back in '85. I am selling a pre-Gibson Tobias, because it lacks that "ring" (for lack of a better word). It just seems to me that it misses the sweet natural treble of, say a jazz bass.

13. Why didn't you like the single coil? Not enough "beef"?

14. Joe Nerve

Oct 7, 2000
    New York City
    The single coil had the 'ol 60 cycle hum that I abhor, and with the piezo kicked in it was magnified and something that just really annoyed me. I originally sent it back for them to fix it because I thought there was something wired wrong or something. They replaced the preamp and it was still there. The tech took it to their highest source at EB and was told the hum couldn't be completely eliminated.

All the high end basses I've ever owned were dead quiet and I've gotten used to it. I think I'm a little crazy about the quiet bass thing. People have bought basses from me that I was sure were defective cuz they hummed so loud, and the hum didn't phase them one bit. I had another bass with a SC/Humbucker setup and it did the same thing. I don like thaaaaa.

2 Humbuckers is the way I gotta go. Ohh yeah - aside from the slight hum the single coil sounded great. A little less thump, but a little barkier than the H.

15. MingusBass

MingusBass Commercial User

Sep 27, 2004
    Fort Wayne,Indiana
    Sweetwater Sound-Sales
    The piezo would/should not add any hum, because the only reason your bass humed at all was because it had a single coil. If you were to have only piezo it would/should not hum at all. My Fretless Bongo hums a tad but it's not obvious and doesn't bother me.

Andrew

16. Mahlon

Mahlon

Jan 27, 2005
    Bennettsville SC
    I play mine unplugged quite a bit and can hear it fine. Love this Bongo.

17. Funky Tune

Funky Tune

Apr 28, 2005
    Puerto Rico
    my friend have a G&L and the sound of this bass is a profesional ansd serious bass sound,they are great instruments but many peoples say Bongo are just fine,try them both and decide for yourself.

18. Joe Nerve

Oct 7, 2000
    New York City
    The piezo didn't hum - but it added some presence which made the hum seem louder to me. I hate any hum, period. I'm nuts about it. I loved the way the bass looked, felt, played, sounded - even really liked the difference in sound with the single coil (my four string is a dual Humbucker). Just decided that since the bass was already back at EB, I might as well go for one I'd really be happy with. The one I had wasn't the one I was supposed to get anyhow, it was sent to me with the option to trade it in if I didn't like it. I needed a 5 string by a certain date and they sent me that one as a loaner or keeper. Didn't want the rolls burgandy color but after I had it a couple of days even fell in love with that. Almost odered the new one in burgundy, but decided on sapphire black. It's the closest to the black sparkle MM I've wanted for years. :)

Has this thread been derailed? I don't even remember what it was about.

19. SteveC

SteveC Supporting Member

Nov 12, 2004
    North Dakota
    I know it's shallow, but I hate the way Bongos look. I'm going to the big city this weekend. Maybe I'll get a chance to try a few new things.

20. MingusBass

MingusBass Commercial User

Sep 27, 2004
    Fort Wayne,Indiana
    Sweetwater Sound-Sales
    Are you Amish?

:spit:

Andrew