1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Lace Helix Bass.......Once Again

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by FL Knifemaker, Mar 5, 2008.

1. I know this has been done before but no one actually owned or actually played one.

Now they're being sold by all the large chain stores. Anyone try one?? Anyone BUY one?? Anyone try out the new 5 string model at NAMM????? I like the design and might just pull the trigger on one :bassist:

helix.

Yes, I know the knobs look strange, I like them too :D

2. indeed it is strange ... new to me..

ill be honest i think its ugly, but knowing nothing about how it performs I can't judge it.

I do really like the rear input jack though, thats a great idea.

3. bucephylus

bucephylus Supporting Member Commercial User

Aug 18, 2002
    General Manager TecPadz LLC
    There have been posts here about them. I trialed a neck through from the Bass Place. Took it back. It was OK, the design was actually nice, but the truss rod nut was for a too small allen wrench, and extremely difficult to access. It seemed to me it would become round in about a year's worth of adjustments.

4. Brendan

Brendan Supporting Member

Jun 18, 2000
    Austin, TX
    Can't really get behind the aesthetic, but I'd like to give them a whirl, myself.

5. bucephylus

bucephylus Supporting Member Commercial User

Aug 18, 2002
    General Manager TecPadz LLC
    On the + side, they weigh about 6 pounds. Like I said, the design has some favorable points. Execution is an issue. But, the pups are nice too. I just couldn't get past that truss rod....

6. Brendan

Brendan Supporting Member

Jun 18, 2000
    Austin, TX
    Huh, just dug up some YouTube vids, and it looks better on a person. Just sitting there in the pics, it's kinda wonky, but with a person playing it, it's pretty decent.

And, the 4s have a 1 and 5/8" nut width, so I could actually play one. Hmm.

7. Smallequestrian

Smallequestrian Rock and/or Roll

Jul 6, 2004
    Chicago, IL
    I owned one and returned it. I really wanted to like this bass. It sounded nice, it was cheap, but it was by far the worst balancing instrument I had ever strapped on.

8. The trussrod problem doesn't sound good. If the allen screw or nut comes out, I could probably make a more user friendly one. I did that one of my Peaveys.

9. HHHhhhhhhhhmmmmmmm..........:meh:

I really wanted to like it too :meh:

Maybe I'll just order my ZZ Top inspired reverse Tele parts from Warmoth instead :D

10. seventhson

seventhson Supporting Member

Aug 12, 2005
    Seattle, WA
    fwiw, it got a pretty good review in a recent Bass Player issue.

11. BobXboB

BobXboB Banned

Sep 25, 2007
    They also had a picture showing the inside of the pickups, they're practically empty. I'd love to try one.

12. I've owned several BC Rich's and a few other neck DIVEY basses. I can't see how the Lace would be that bad. It's not like they cost a million bucks and I never MAKE money buying and selling basses anyway......................:confused:

I'll think about it over the weekend :)

13. Bone

Bone

Oct 28, 2006
    I tried the neckthru, a friend of mine who is a builder swears by the alumitone pickups. The neck felt good but after about 20 mins.(I know not much of a test drive) I could'nt seem to get any kind of tone that was pleasing to my ear YEMV. I gave it back to the salesman to hang back up, gas cured. You'll have to try one for yourself.

14. redstrand

redstrand

May 18, 2007
    Saint Louis, MO
    Fool For Four Strings
    The neck through is looking like a winner. Keep us posted.

15. I played a neck-through model a few months ago. Sounded & felt great. No neck dive issues. I didn't like the knobs and thought the output jack was in the worst possible location.

16. Baryonyx

Baryonyx Banned

Jul 11, 2005
    Marathon Man
    I'd love to hear how they sound. Ugly as heck, but they might sound nice!

17. Bone

Bone

Oct 28, 2006
    Oh yea, forgot about the output jack thing, the bass I played might just been one of those basses that didn't have "IT".

18. matthewbrown

matthewbrown Supporting Member

Jan 7, 2003
    Harwich, MA, USA
    I"ve just ordered one of these to try out; I'll let you know what I think when I've played it awhile. I got the neck-through model, cuz I wanted 2 pups

19. RED5

RED5

Jan 14, 2008
    Suffolk County,NY
    I tried one this last weekend. The 2 p/u neck thru. Aside from the look? it wasn't so bad. Balanced well, fell to hand really well, weighed next to nothing and sounded clean. It was run through a small Orange amp so I could'nt really stretch it out but it had decent low end and good definition between the pups. The knobs are cool you can tell your setting at a glance and grab them easily to change. the pickups are a trip,. Held at an angle you can actually see through them! Space age look I'm not too sure about but I'd say they got alot right here..

20. cdef

cdef

Jul 18, 2003
    This is an interesting bass. I even like the look. If there was a two-pickup bolt-on available I might go for it. Did they abandon the twisted neck? And am I correct in recalling the Lace Alumitone pickups are a Villex construction? Lace had it on their website that a Precision version was "coming soon", but I can't find it anymore.