Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Lactose Intolerance?

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by bassturtle, May 3, 2005.

1. bassturtle

bassturtle

Apr 9, 2004
    It seems that I can't eat or drink any dairy products without it making me sick...lactose intolerance? Anyone out there have this that can explain it to me a bit?

2. dairy often makes my nose run/sinuses become generally irritated.

3. DigMe

DigMe

Aug 10, 2002
    Waco, TX
    I'm lactose intolerant. If your body doesn't produce enough lactase enzyme on it's own then you have trouble digesting lactose. I think different people can have it to different extremes. I can eat a bowl of cereal no problem (as long as I don't guzzle the leftover milk) but if I eat ice cream or something with lots of cheese or milk I'll take a lactaid pill with it. Actually I use the generic extra strength lactaid pills from Wal-mart. Something like 60 of them for 6 dollars and something.

brad cook

4. DigMe

DigMe

Aug 10, 2002
    Waco, TX
    I thinnk my wife once told me that could possibly be reflux related. Or you might just have mild allergies to dairy products.

brad cook

5. Lyle Caldwell

Lyle Caldwell

Sep 7, 2004
    Memphis
    My son (3 yrs old) is lactose intolerant. Gives him terrible diarrhea.
    We tried soy products, but he didn't like them. I don't blame him, as soy milk tastes like vanilla chalk.

Fortunately, we found Land O Lakes Dairy Ease, which is lactose free (they replace the lactose with lactase). It tastes like good milk, only slightly sweeter than "normal" milk. Just slightly. He loves it, and his older sister (who is not lactose intolerant) never knows the difference.

It's a bit more expensive, but not a lot. I've seen lactose-free icecream, but haven't tried it. I just give him popsicles.

A lot of cheese is safe as the lactose is eaten by the bacteria.

6. I never used to be lactose intolerent, but 7 years ago i became a vegetarian(i do eat eggs and dairy products) but over the last few years i have been having problems digesting eggs and dairy products(mostly dairy pruducts tho) It's not horrible, but it is very uncomfortable when i eat or drink dairy products. I have been told my body might have problems digesting the protein from animal products, or that over time my body has produced less enzymes for the lack of dairy i do have, so when i do have more then usual it gives a bad uncomfortable reaction. (mainly bloating and a stomach ache) So there could be mroe then one reason you are having problems digesting milk, go to a doctor, its a common simple problem. (and the sinus problems from the guy a few messages ahead, this could be reflux, or it actually could be an allergic reation to milk. There is a big difference between being allergic to diary products and having a intolerence. Intolerence usually only makes people have a stomach ache, and in some cases diarrhea, but having an alleric reaction to it tends to have reations with the nasal, and esphogus passages. Allergic reactions are much more serious. But if you are only having sinus and runny nose problems with dairy, it probably is a reflux problem.)

7. bassturtle

bassturtle

Apr 9, 2004
    Okay, thanks guys. I don't know what the hell is wrong with me, but it's not good. All I know is it happens when I try to drink milk or eat something with cheese on it.

8. You can always try taking Lactaid (or as Brad noted, the cheaper generic one... it's called Dairy-Free around here) for an alternative to avoiding them altogether.

9. bassturtle

bassturtle

Apr 9, 2004
    I'm gonna snag some of that tomorrow before work. Thanks again guys.

10. Bob Lee (QSC)

Bob Lee (QSC) In case you missed it, I work for QSC Audio! Gold Supporting Member Commercial User

Jul 3, 2001
    Costa Mesa, Calif.
    Technical Communications Developer, QSC Audio
    (Sing to the tune of Nat King Cole's Unforgettable.)

Undigestible,
    It gives you gas
    Undigestible,
    And gas you pass

That's why cream cheese
    May be spreadable
    But for some folks it's
    Just inedible
    Because for them it's
    Undigestible, too.

11. NJL

NJL

Apr 12, 2002
    San Antonio
    me:

milk=Draino

12. bassturtle

bassturtle

Apr 9, 2004
    ROFL

13. bassturtle

bassturtle

Apr 9, 2004
    Was it something you've always had or something that seemed to develop over time?

14. NJL

NJL

Apr 12, 2002
    San Antonio
    when i was kid, i was fine, but the older i get, the more that milk gives me the .....s

15. Jack

Jack

Sep 6, 2003
    Newcastle, UK
    LI here as well, its not terribly bad, just makes me sick.

Try drinking a lot (non-dairy and non-alcoholic) seems to help me a lot, even if it just dilutes the milk, it still works.

16. Bob Lee (QSC)

Bob Lee (QSC) In case you missed it, I work for QSC Audio! Gold Supporting Member Commercial User

Jul 3, 2001
    Costa Mesa, Calif.
    I'm lucky, I guess. Dairy products give me no problems other than phlegm.

17. Tsal

Tsal

Jan 28, 2000
    Finland, EU
    Lactose is a certain type of sugar, milk sugar that is. Basicly, if you are lactose intolerant, your body doesn't produce enough of the enzyme(lactase) that breaks the sugar in your stomach, so it isn't absorbed into your bloodstream. So, the stuff that goes from the stomach through your intestines contains more raw sugars than usual, on which the bacteria feed - which gives you stomach-related problems.

Solution for this is either to add the enzyme when you eat milk products (Lactaid and such pills) or eat such products where the lactose is already broken while production and is in "hydrolyzed" form.

Hydrolyzed lactose products also taste more sweet than usual, which is because we don't taste milk sugar as sweet in it's natural form, but do taste the broken sugar.

18. bassturtle

bassturtle

Apr 9, 2004

That seems to be the case with me too. The older I get worse it gets and has seemed to become a real problem recently - last night was the worst it's ever been. I swear I could have ...t through a screen door and not hit a single wire. :bawl:

I guess we're weenies, NJL...we can't hold our milk! My wife has something that she can now drink me under the table with :meh:

19. Bob Lee (QSC)

Jul 3, 2001
    Costa Mesa, Calif.
    BT, I'm glad I didn't have a mouthful of coffee when I read that, or I would've spewed it all over the monitor!!

20. cheezewiz

cheezewiz

Mar 27, 2002
    Ohio
    Look at the bright side. I good diary fart is a room clearer for SURE!