1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Lakland Owners Group #69

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by smperry, Feb 18, 2014.

1. Texan

Texan 667 Neighbor of the Beast. Supporting Member

Aug 15, 2004
    Houston, TX
    That is a beautiful fretboard on that Glaub...I hope Dan's new venture goes better than the last.

2. JEDI BASS

JEDI BASS Supporting Member

Jan 26, 2008
    Knoxville, TN
    Some of us were vocal about the ugly headstock. But, history is history. There’s no need to buy a bass that’s ugly when so many are attractive. And yes, looks matter when you’re talking about a new bass w/ a new bass price tag.

I too wish him good luck in his next venture.

MAXSPINRUN and Fred312b like this.
  3. Fred312b

Fred312b Proof that gear doesn't make you a better player Supporting Member

Apr 23, 2002
    Chicago, IL
    I don’t know him, but he did pop up in my FB suggested people... seems like he is more active online as of late...

basspraiser likes this.
  4. JEDI BASS

Jan 26, 2008
    Knoxville, TN
    DE855076-EC8E-43BB-BBB0-6217BBA3FF06. F14E6E9D-9F6C-4B0E-91EE-13370D5E9EB4. 34E0517E-9802-4D70-BCCC-504EE5AD63A4. DA192BF3-73D1-4775-8E29-5C9D1F21837E. E6149682-AB9B-4101-98D6-DA74F4EC411C. Speaking of Dan... here’s the story and some new pics of a bass he definitely took part in creating: Serial Number 11. Some of this I’ve told before. But, after showing her to a friend yesterday, I remembered more details and my appreciation was renewed.

Sorry for the wordiness... there’s a lot to tell!

Specs: Ash body, nitro paint, flame maple neck, birdseye fretboard, original MAGNIFICENT Bartolini p’ups and preamp, original non-branded bridge, original Hipshot tuners, original knobs.

Mods: Neck plate replaced (at some point, probably very early on) by countersunk bolts. Fender style truss rod nut replaced with typical Lakland nut. First fret side and front dot added in recent years during truss Rod repair, more details below.

Build details, per Carl and a previous owner: the early basses were done by hand, no CNC. This one has what some Lakland enthusiasts lovingly call a “McFarland neck”. This means it was hand-shaped by Hugh McFarland, the LAND in LākLAND. Dan is the LAK. Anyways, Hugh’s necks are reported to be the most comfy to come out of Chicago, and I won’t argue against it. This neck is hands down the best of the over 25 Laklands I’ve owned, and the standard I compare 4 strings too. Being hand done, it wasn’t perfect and has what looks like an ebony shim (possibly dark rosewood) in the neck pocket, and a minor neck heel shaping error there too.

The early truss rods were Fender style that they heated and bent at the end. Some weren’t heated and quenched properly, leaving the metal brittle. That was the case with Eleven, and the rod snapped a few years back. I sent it to Carl telling him that the neck had to be saved, even if it meant removing the board to install a new rod. He thought I was crazy, and said it would be better to just build a new neck. Carl isn’t very nostalgic it seems LOL. Anyways, there was another option which offered two chances to save the existing rod. Carl said he could remove the nut and drill down to the rod, drill through the rod, and anchor it. If the bit slipped at all, it was on to the 2nd chance which was to repeat the process between the nut and first fret. This is why Eleven has the extra dot marker at #1.

Carl said they figured out, thanks to a famous NY builder, that countersunk neck bolts were key to better speaking E and B strings. So, someone had Eleven modified to remove the neck plate, and also had the truss nut modernized.

As for the body and nitro paint: Carl said they were sending out some early basses to be painted with nitrocellulose, and found out later that the guy was doing it in a garage LOL. Needless to say, some weren’t perfect w/ dust and hair in them, and other flaws. Eleven was supposed to be just teal. But, the black edge of the burst was added to cover a flaw. And, that’s probably why Carl can remember all these details after almost 25 years.

I love how the early basses had front mounted jacks, a favorite of mine! And, I especially love how the paint has aged and crackled.

5. MAXSPINRUN

MAXSPINRUN Supporting Member

Apr 10, 2012
    Knoxville, Tn
    F24CE66C-950E-4929-AF35-1DB00FC7E4C1.
    I feel ya JJ. I HAD #19. It had to go in a bitter divorce! Makes me sick to think about it. It also had those first sweet Bart pups. I was able to communicate directly with Dan when ordering it. I specified jumbo frets, medium to heavy weight for the body. As the pic will show, the extra switch was for midrange frequency select instead of having to do it internally. I wish I could get that one back!

Mohawk, basspraiser, Fred312b and 5 others like this.
  6. JEDI BASS

Jan 26, 2008
    Knoxville, TN
    Oh my!!! I’m at a loss for words!

basspraiser likes this.
  7. Tom P

Tom P

Aug 19, 2004
    Dayum! Some beauties from the Golden Era!;):roflmao:

8. In the Reverb listing , he says his new line of basses is coming out in October

9. Didnt make a family pic for a long time. So here we go:

76C3D35A-6C0E-4686-BCC4-F11BA36B2DB3.

2004 US Bob Glaub, alder/rosewood, 3 tone sunburst, Fralins
    1998 US 4-94, alder/rosewood, sherwood green, LH3 (Lakland retro-fit)
    2011 US Hollowbody, mahagony/ebony, sonic blue, Chi-sonics
    1998 US 4-94, ash/maple, tobbaco burst, Duncans
    1999 US Joe Osborn, alder/rosewood, daphne blue, Fralins

Holdsg, blondmix3, GregC and 7 others like this.
  10. basspraiser

basspraiser Jammin for the Lamb! Supporting Member

Dec 8, 2006
    Chicago - NW Burbs
    SCHWEET!!!!!

GregC and InnerBass like this.
  11. Fred312b

Fred312b Proof that gear doesn't make you a better player Supporting Member

Apr 23, 2002
    Chicago, IL
    Looks like you've got all your bas(s)es covered... :D

Sorry, couldn't resist. Beautiful basses though...

12. Tom P

Tom P

Aug 19, 2004
    Some serious Dan Era beauties there - very nice!

basspraiser and InnerBass like this.
  13. Here’s my Laklands a 2018 Duck and an 06 Joe B21D5F10-F51F-47FB-9BE9-1D92DA06F54C.

davidak, Holdsg, basspraiser and 4 others like this.
  14. Wes275

Wes275

Sep 10, 2018
    GregC and basspraiser like this.
  15. basspraiser

basspraiser Jammin for the Lamb! Supporting Member

Dec 8, 2006
    Chicago - NW Burbs
    Wes275 and jmain like this.
  16. PraiseBassing

PraiseBassing Supporting Member

Mar 6, 2017
    California
    Wes275 likes this.
  17. MAXSPINRUN

Apr 10, 2012
    Knoxville, Tn
    AB9B37CE-D457-4DE2-AC9D-412E663DA30B. 2E75A6B8-88AF-4F85-B07F-9F069C2DB62A. I have not seen them either. Have tried 2 different Nordstrand pup sets in my 44-01. May try the Lakie pups. Here are pics or the Nordstrand pups I tried.

basspraiser and JEDI BASS like this.
  18. JEDI BASS

Jan 26, 2008
    Knoxville, TN
    Looks very classy with the Sadowsky style knobs! Which Nordy pickups do you prefer?

basspraiser likes this.
  19. MAXSPINRUN

Apr 10, 2012
    Knoxville, Tn
    The pups on the left are Jazz bars, the most Jazz like in sound of the two, the ones with the angled poles are Big Singles. Jazz like but much more aggressive and more modern sounding. Overall I like the Jazz Bars. Nordstrand put both of those in P2 size corners so they would drop right into my 44-01. Nordstrand is great to work with. With get right back to you by phone or email.

Holdsg, JEDI BASS and basspraiser like this.
  20. Holdsg

Holdsg Talkbass > Work Gold Supporting Member

Sep 10, 2009
    Alta Loma, CA
    My favorite pickup manufacturer by a long shot.

MAXSPINRUN likes this.