1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Lakland- the great imitator

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by N8_DO, Feb 25, 2008.

1. IanAllison

IanAllison Supporting Member

May 27, 2006
    Minneapolis
    Wow . . .

Tonight I just discoverd that Dan had resubmitted this video back to YouTube! HOO-RAY.

My name is Ian Allison and I'm the dude in the video. I'm also the guy that does the audio samples for the Lakland website.

I just wanted to chime in and say that I had an absolute BLAST doing that demo (which happened about a year ago). And to be honest, on my way to Chicago, I was nervous as hell. Both the 78 Antigua Jazz and the 71 P belong to me (the Stinger is Dan's) and I KNOW those basses like the back of my hand! They're my main session basses. I was scared $%#&less that I wasn't going to be able to get the Lakland to do what Dan wanted it to do. Personally, with the limited time, budget, and equipment we had, I was AMAZED at how deftly the Lakie did those sounds. Killer.

Also, I recorded a BUNCH of other footage that showed that 4-94 doing it's own thing - or more modern takes on the vintage 3. The current vid was meant as an installment. I'm not sure if Dan has the other footage edited together yet.

We also did a vid that compared the new LH3 system to the old Bart system. I hope that video comes out! (Pssst . . . the LH3 deflowers the Barts)

Here's the thing about the Lakland - of course it doesn't sound EXACTLY like a J, P, or MM. How could it? Come on. However, I've checked out a lot of basses in my time and feel that the Lakland is head and shoulders above anything else out there in terms of nailing the vintage vibe while simultaneously offering something of it's own.

And that's just the 4-94.

If you have any questions about the vid - or Lakland basses in general - feel free to shoot me a PM. I'd be more than happy to answer any questions you have.

Also - for the record - I'm not a Lakland endorser. I own and gig a wide variety of basses. I just happen to really love Dan's work.

Ian

2. steve21

steve21 Banned

Greatly spoken, Ian.

Personally, as much as I like having an MM-ish sound and a J-bass sound and a P-roximation, I LOVE the Lakland tone. All pickups on at once, bass & mids ever-so-slightly boosted, DAMN that is one cool beast.

3. Tom P

Tom P

Aug 19, 2004
    Great playing and while I agree that for some ears there are subtle differences, they certainly "nail it' for my ears. Great stuff!

4. AndyMan

AndyMan Supporting Member Commercial User

Jun 17, 2000
    Columbus, Ohio
    http://myplaceproductionsllc.com/

+1

Close, but no cigar.

5. pickles

pickles Gold Supporting Member

Mar 23, 2000
    Ventura, CA
    I love this video. It very clearly shows how close a -94 can get to copping these tones, which is reasonably close, but not all the way there. I love my 55-94, but the main sound I use is the 55-94 sound, all coils on, blended near center. The J-bass sounds are good, but my JO5 does that better.

And it does not do a real P sound or MM sound IMO (as confirmed in the vid). To me, the -94 a different take on the post-modern J-bass.

6. timmarks

timmarks Supporting Member

Jan 26, 2005
    Nashville, TN
    Endorsing Artist: Lakland, D'Addario, Mesa
    it's does a good job. my 55-94 has the old barts and it's a very versatile bass. it won't sound like a passive alnico magnet pickup--it's a different thing--an active pu with active circuit. once you get away from the traditional passive pickups, i think you lose that thing. to me, at least with the barts, it can cop the "jazz with barts or emgs" tone, and can also lean musicman. the neck pu is a fat tone, but not quite like a pbass.

pickles right above this post nailed it--it's a take on a post-modern jazz bass....
    i'd like to get my hands on a 4-94 one day and check out the new electronics.

7. Dee_01

Dee_01

May 19, 2007
    Is it just me, or is that old Fender Jazz the best sounding bass in the video?

:)

Regardless, I am very impressed with Lakland's electronics. Seems a little hollow compared to the originals it's imitating but extremely close. Very nice! And good job, Ian.

8. To me they sounded close but if you were A/Bing them yourself I think you'd notice a big difference in they way they play and you'd probably need a entirely different touch with the Lakland to get the same same sounds. The p and j were close but I didn't think the Ray was even close. Which one sounds better is really subjective.

9. actuallly, I agree with you...and that antigua colour is killer!...

the Fender Jazz did the best job in the video...the Lakland did a great job of imitating it.

the stingray was great...the lakland did a great job of imitating it...

the P-bass flat out rocked...the lakland couldn't do a decent p-bass, IMO...but what CAN? a Bob Glaub can...but not a 55-94..

10. cigi

cigi

Aug 22, 2006
    All those basses sound awesome, but this reminds me of a certain simpson episode where Lisa puts a tooth in some cola for a science fair.

The tooth develops into a tiny universe and they worship lisa as a god. They evolve very quickly and they become so advanced they can shrink lisa and teleport her to their world. When she arrives at the mini-world the leader of the little people says to her: We have learned to imitoot you exorctly.

I think that Lakland also has learned to imitoot the fenders and mm exorctly, but not exactly exactly.

I love the sound of all those basses, and the lakland can sound like the basses that inspired it, but it' not the same thing. I don't even want it to be. If you want a p, buy a p. If you want a good bass that will gave you a lot of usuable and different sounds, but has it's own sound, buy a Lakland.

11. Very versitile is rigght. But must agree that the old Jazz does it best....

Which is why my main bass is a Lakland JoBo 5.! ;)

And if you dont think Dan's off the shelf J basses sound vintage, try one - even a Skyline. ( too vintage for me, I loaded mine with Aeros - the best! )

12. Baryonyx

Baryonyx Banned

Jul 11, 2005
    Marathon Man
    Some good tones on there (the P tones sucked, but then thats P basses for you!), but I agree that the old jazz bass sounded the best, especially with the bridge pickup on solo!