1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Lakland- the great imitator

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by N8_DO, Feb 25, 2008.

1. zeb_bass

zeb_bass

Oct 27, 2007
    Berlin Germany
    I am really amazed how much better the real deal sounds!

That 70s Jazz sounds 1000 times better than the Lakland!

That P is much warmer and nicer sounding!

And the LakiĀ“s Ray sound is simply not there, it still has that harsh nasal J bridge snap to it!

This is espicially surprising considering the vintage SVT tube head he uses that is nice sounding and heavily coloring and in that way very very forgiving .

I betcha, especially considering afore mentioned amp, give the guy a 400 $ Yamaha BB (mod it with a blend knob so you can favour the bridge a bit to emulate the Ray sounds). You guys be amazed how far a 400 bucks can go!

Just my 2 cents...

I am not hateing Laklands... I highly higly appreciate their work and I have serious gas for a DJ5 ...or if they only came out with a Dunn or Glaub 5er!

But that youtube performance just realy dissapointed me, sorry guys!

cheers
    zeb

2. gillento

gillento

Oct 15, 2005
    Luxembourg, Europe
    Nordstrand pickups

Just great :)

3. bassforce

bassforce Guest

Feb 7, 2007
    Because truth is just like arse - everyone has it own :D

4. mongo2

mongo2

Feb 17, 2008
    Da Shaw
    Yep everyone has different ears. Another example of the fallacy of these types of comparisions.

5. -Sam-

-Sam-

Oct 5, 2005
    Sydney, Australia
    All that did was make me GAS HARD for an antigua jazz :crying:

6. Lon86

Lon86

Jan 21, 2008
    Venice, CA
    I'll take the P, the J and the SR over the one Lakland...:)

And he was playin that P awfully soft...I've played many Laklands, and they can't come close to the P tone when you are playing HARD up by the neck.

7. Tim Cole

Tim Cole Supporting Member

Jun 12, 2002
    Findlay, Ohio
    Just my take..the mids were off on the P sound, and the highs were off on the MM sound. I also thought the MM imitation didn't sound very balanced up the neck.

8. tempo2112

tempo2112

Jun 27, 2006
    Wirral, UK
    Yeah, sounds fantastic to me. Not quite exact, as Jim Carr said, the low mids seem to have a lower hump to them, esp on the jazz settings, but I'd take the Lakky over the others any day.

9. evhest

evhest

Jun 10, 2006
    I was think the very same thing!

PS Happy with my Barts equipped 44-02.

10. Basshole

Basshole Banned

Jan 28, 2005
    OK, the J-bass was pretty good, IMHO.

The Stingray was less exact, but usable.

The P-bass wasn't really that close.

Furthermore, however, I'm listening to this on a good 5.1 system, with a healthy sub...

Something odd happened when he went to the 'Ray sound. It sounded like he was using a Boss OC-2...but it's much more noticeable on the Lakland. There was suddenly some major sub-harmonic $#!+ going on.

Either he had some setting slightly different, or that's how much differently the Lakland hits the front end of the Boss.

I'd say overall, the sound is more modern. It probably covers all 3 basses for all practical purposes, and in fact, lends just an edge of modern tone.

11. gjooro

gjooro

Mar 27, 2006
    Croatia
    It got really close to J and P but it ain't it. I would still rather have that fender J and P. Lakland got close but it's more "plastic" sounding.

Stingray is really better sounding no doubt

12. ModuMan

ModuMan How many is too many? Supporting Member

Feb 23, 2007
    Bristol, CT #19
    Well, I wouldn't want a bass to clone the sound of other VERY distinctive basses... how could I ever convince the wife I still need more?

Personally, I think the Lakie sounds great all by itself. And having A/B'ed 55-94s with Barts and the Lakland system, the new system is a huge improvement IMO.

13. +1... still 'close but no cigar' on the sound clips to my ear, but much better all around tone with the new pickups versus the Barts to me... nice!

14. i find it highly ironic how they switched from barts to their own brand of electronics to gain more individuality or origonality or w.e he said then proceeded to show us how it can suposedly imitate 3 very different basses to a reasonable degree... kinda shooting himself in the foot there me thinks.:meh:

15. jasper383

jasper383

Dec 5, 2004
    Durham NC
    The Line 6 Variax gets mostly panned for imitating the sounds of other basses, yet the Lakland is lauded for the same thing.

;)

16. Deep

Deep

May 8, 2002
    NY
    I thought it was a very good demo and very helpful. I think if you took 2 identical jazz basses...2 identical pbasses and 2 identical stingrays they would sound a bit different between themselves also. The Lakland is very close in my opinion and the new pick-up and electronics are awesome. Mine has the good ole barts in it and I'm quite happy with them.

17. artfahie

artfahie Supporting Member

Dec 14, 2007
    Bar Mills, Maine
    +1

18. Fretlessboy

Fretlessboy

Nov 29, 2007
    St Augustine Florida
    Endorsing artist GENZ BENZ/HERCULES STANDS/XSonics
    I think a Pbass is the hardest to nail. Especially if you play one regularly or have for years. However, there are so many usable tones in the Laklands that make it easy to take 1 bass to a gig and get done.

100_5096-1.

19. gjooro

gjooro

Mar 27, 2006
    Croatia
    Well i really don't like the idea. So, let's say, one bass can copy any bass.. It would be pointless. It's better that every bass has it's sound.
    I would rather have a bass with one pickup and try to achieve different tones and find my sound.

20. Matt Call

Matt Call Supporting Member

Aug 1, 2004
    Minneapolis, MN
    Whoever that guy is, he's a total hack.

;)