1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Lakland- the great imitator

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by N8_DO, Feb 25, 2008.

1. Craithius

Craithius

Oct 19, 2007
    Wow, I might just have to get a 55-02 instead of forking over 3.5 times that for a Nordy

2. JAUQO III-X

JAUQO III-X Banned

Jan 4, 2002
    CHICAGO,IL.
    Endorsing artist:see profile.
    I think the demo was perfect.

Oh I also play and own Laklands, Fenders and MM's.

3. Just give me the P bass and I'll be happy :bassist:

4. Nino Valenti

Nino Valenti Supporting Member Commercial User

Feb 2, 2001
    Staten Island NYC
    Builder: Valenti Basses
    I've seen this before. The 4-94 I had with the new LH3 system and it was pretty awesome.

5. thefunkelastic

thefunkelastic

Oct 23, 2007
    I have a question, can the 44-01's come anywhere near the versatility of the 55 in that video? I'm the type of player for whom "close enough" is just fine if it's as close as that lakland was getting

6. JAUQO III-X

JAUQO III-X Banned

Jan 4, 2002
    CHICAGO,IL.
    No, not at all.

7. Double Agent

Double Agent

Mar 10, 2006
    Lakeland, FL
    I think that is the point. To me, the Lakland is pretty close in those clips, but not dead on for any of those basses. However, try getting that P tone out of the Jazz. The Lakland will come way closer.

Some players want as many sounds as possible in one bass, a swiss army knife so to speak. I think the Lakland is very good at that. You do sacrifice a degree of authenticity(meaning it doesn't sound exactly like the basses it is imitating), but how much of that will be audible in the mix? For me, I prefer the real deal. But, I can definitely see the appeal of having all those tones available at your fingertips.

Of course, you can also probably get some really nice tones out of the 55-02 without trying to imitate those classic designs.

8. scottbass

scottbass Bass lines like a big, funky giant

Jul 13, 2004
    Southern MN
    I get the point. The Lakland seems to get extremely close to the J bass sounds, and it does an admirable (but not exact) job copying the P and SR.

I agree with the consensus - it's a very versatile bass, indeed. It's not gonna make me give up my SR and my P, though. But if I wanted to play ONE bass that was capable of nailing J sounds and could approximate P and/or SR, I would be very impressed.

9. ... and man. He can play.

10. CyberSnyder

CyberSnyder Gold Supporting Member

Jun 19, 2003
    Maryland
    I Endorse Alien Audio Basses
    I'm impressed.

11. msquared

msquared

Sep 19, 2004
    Kansas City
    It's a Youtube video. The audio has been squashed into oblivion and is only relevant as it compares to the other basses.

I guarantee that if you were sitting in the same room with this guy, you wouldn't have heard any harshness in the highs. You'd probably also hear a lot more subtle differences between the basses than the audio track of this thing is capable of conveying. Even the difference between a Lakland 55-94 and the DJ/JO fivers is noticeable if you're A/Bing them in person. It's close, but not the exact match that you're hearing on here if you close your eyes and listen hard.

12. Marcury

Marcury High and Low

Aug 19, 2007
    Mid Hudson Valley, NY
    It's an impressive demo. It seems everyone hears different things, so there's quite a bit of subjectivity involved. They all sound like decent approximations to me, though I hear the high end harshness. Some of that could just be difference in strings. Whatever it's all moot until you hear it in the mix.

13. Jim Carr

Jim Carr Dr. Jim Gold Supporting Member

Jan 21, 2006
    Denton, TX or Kailua, HI
    fEARful Kool-Aid dispensing liberal academic card-carrying union member Musicians Local 72-147
    +1

However, I might note the P, Jazz, SR, and 5-94 were all subject to the same youtube bandwidth, and the aforesaid shortcomings were in the Lakland versions of the models but not in the models...:bag:

14. jim nolte

jim nolte

Oct 26, 2006
    california
    +1, I heard that too

15. JAUQO III-X

JAUQO III-X Banned

Jan 4, 2002
    CHICAGO,IL.
    I don't know where the harshness is coming from, because the Lakland pre is not a harsh pre at all.

16. msquared

msquared

Sep 19, 2004
    Kansas City
    Sure, but that could just as easily indicate that there isn't as much top end content in the sound of the P, J, and SR. I'm guessing that those basses weren't restrung right before the video with the same strings, for instance, which could be one of several reasons for that. Compare a nice bass with broken in strings to a nice bass with new strings and that zingy top end is going to be obnoxious.

I'd hope that if Lakland was serious about demoing sound clips of these basses, they'd have recorded that track straight to disk with no compression and put a URL for a downloadable .wav version in the video description.

In any case, I don't think that this is an entirely accurate demonstration of what these basses really sound like. Because as a previous Lakland owner I can say with certainty that they sound a hell of a lot better than that video does.

Sadly, I do not play a hell of a lot better than that dude in the video does.

17. Jjango

Jjango

Nov 16, 2007
    Los Angeles, CA
    In my opinion, the J tone is most convincing. Then the P, and in last place, the Ray.

18. Yes, he can play his a$$ off. He's also my instructor. :cool:

FYI, he posts on TB under the handle, ArtIsEasy

19. mongo2

mongo2

Feb 17, 2008
    Da Shaw
    I found the J to be the closest. The P imitation sounded too hollow and I didn't like the tone of that particular Stingray at all so imitating it did nothing for me.

20. bassforce

bassforce Guest

Feb 7, 2007
    Yeah, it sounds like a Stingray, but it can't imitate Fender.