1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Lakland- the great imitator

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by N8_DO, Feb 25, 2008.

1. N8_DO

N8_DO

Nov 8, 2007
    Texas
  2. Buskman

Buskman

Apr 13, 2007
    Jersey Shore, USA
    Very cool demo there - I'm sold (now I just need to come up with the money...:meh:)!

3. Barkless Dog

Barkless Dog Barkless to a point

Jan 19, 2007
    I could not tell the difference, on the first two but I thought the Lakland sounded better than the Sting Ray

4. whoa!!!!
    I so dont want to believe this since I am kinda a Fender Jazz guy
    but its very very convincing

5. fitbass3p

fitbass3p

Oct 7, 2006
    Madison, WI
    That was hot...it just re-convinces me that I need to get another 55-02 or upgrade to a 55-94.

6. If only they looked better....:(

7. GregC

GregC Johnny and Joe Gold Supporting Member

Jan 19, 2007
    Chicago
    I thought the J-bass impression was uncanny and the 'Ray sound was close, although the P imitation didn't totally do it for me.

The sunburst finish is a matter of taste, but have you seen the cherryburst? Looks fantastic in person, IMO.

8. stealyourface

stealyourface

Jul 31, 2007
    Towson, MD
    Wow. I am very impressed.

The Lakland nailed the Jazz and P bass, but I thought was slightly off with the SR. Kinda what I expected since the SR has such a distinct tone.

9. msquared

msquared

Sep 19, 2004
    Kansas City
    The Lakland's bridge pickup isn't in the right spot to nail the Stingray tone, and the pickup isn't the right type anyway. Never has been.

10. N8_DO

N8_DO

Nov 8, 2007
    Texas
    +1

The SR was the only one with a maple board but I think the Lakie had the most trouble covering that gap.

11. Really nice on the Jazz and 'Ray (and how about that Antigua Jazz? :D ) but not "quite" there verses the P... but even their "not quite there" is pretty sweet sounding.

...now if they only made a 5-string with tighter string-spacing, such as a DJ - I'd be all over that!

12. phxlbrmpf

phxlbrmpf

Dec 27, 2002
    Germany
    That sounded great, too bad I still can't get over the look of the standard Laklands. :(

13. mellowgerman

mellowgerman

Jan 23, 2008
    Orlando, FL
    sounds good, except it can't do the darkstar:)

14. Jim Carr

Jim Carr Dr. Jim Gold Supporting Member

Jan 21, 2006
    Denton, TX or Kailua, HI
    fEARful Kool-Aid dispensing liberal academic card-carrying union member Musicians Local 72-147
    I liked all the approximations and think yes, they probably are close enough for all but studio work.

However, I was bothered by the harshness in the highs that surfaced now and then, and noticed a shift of low-mid girth downward from the where it was in the models.

Don't get me wrong, I have ALWAYS wanted a 5-94, and still do. Nice demo!

15. chiplexic

chiplexic

Apr 21, 2004
    Massachusetts
    Yup...I'm convinced........I suck!

Nice sounding bass but I never liked the small,lower horn look.

16. Dr. Cheese

Dr. Cheese Gold Supporting Member

Mar 3, 2004
    Metro St. Louis
    I agree with Jim Carr that the highs are more harsh than on the real thing. That is especially true for the Stingray slap tone. The only J/MM I have ever heard that really gets a good Stingray tone is a Stingray J/MM. That said, J/MM is still my favorite pickup combination.:) I also love the 55-02/55-94 also!:bassist:

17. lawsonman

lawsonman

Dec 19, 2005
    NW IL
    I thought the Ray still sounded better.Nice bass though.

18. Wow! it was a good comparison, I would like to get one.. If it were not for that bridge Oval.

19. Vinny D

Vinny D

Jan 9, 2007
    Warwick, RI

I totaly agree about the P-bass, too me the Lakland sounded like a Lakland in every clip but it didn't come close to capturing the warmth of the P-bass.

20. Baird6869

Baird6869 RIP Gord Downey. A True Canadian Icon.

So the Lakland sounds basically like an old MM SR but with more bottom end? Not a very impressive demo IMO. The Lakland didn't sound as good as the Fenders IMO although I guess they are really trying to show versatility.

Disclaimer: I am curently playing old Fender Jazz and P basses as well as Stingrays. Also I sold my Lakland 55-02 last summer. Nice bass but I like my SR and Fenders better.