1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Lakland Thunderbird?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by madbassplaya, Apr 14, 2009.

1. madbassplaya

madbassplaya

Dec 28, 2007
    Maybe this has been discussed and I missed it in my searches, but I saw the new Papa Roach video this morning while getting ready for class. I'm not a big fan anymore, but I know that Tobin plays Lakland basses and the bass he was playing looked like a Tbird to me. I looked up the video and I believe that's what it is, it also looks like the Lakland headstock.

Am I late to the party? Is Lakland doing a Tbird now? Is this his Sig model, or is it just a custom bass only for him?

3:10 is a good shot of it.

2. Is it the decade??

3. Just get a screen shot, I am not sitting through 3 plus minutes of Papa Roach for anything short of a prelude to my own self inflicted demise. Still, I hope there is such a bass. That sounds pretty cool.

4. MHLakland

MHLakland Registered Bass Nut

Aug 13, 2008
    Florida
    Hmm, yep that's a Lakland alright with a T-Bird style body. I checked the website and found nothing about that particular bass.

Perhaps other LOG guys know about a special made one.

5. J. Crawford

J. Crawford Supporting Member

Feb 15, 2008
    OH/WV
    Definitely a Lakland with Chi-Sonics.

Um...

At the 0:16 mark there is a perfect shot of the bass, for you grumpy old men who dont listen to that darn metal! Im keeping off your lawn!

6. MikeyB5

MikeyB5

Jan 21, 2008
    Chicago
    It could be a custom job.It looks like it has the new Chisonic pickups.I was there a couple weeks ago and they know I,m Tbird fan and owner and they didn't say anything.That's a cool bass.

7. RTL

RTL House Chicken Enthusiast Supporting Member

Jul 20, 2008
    Leander, TX
    Definitely not a decade, but the tip of the headstock is too rounded to be a Lakland. That sure looks like a Fender headstock to me.

8. If Papa Roach is metal, Cannibal Corpse is Reggae. But I digress. I want a Lakland T bird. And I will play it in a Merle Haggard tribute band.

9. 3toes

3toes

Aug 30, 2006
    Charleston, South Carolina
    Endorsing Artist: Lakland Basses
    Video quality on youtube is so poor it's kind of hard to tell. Some frames it looks fender, some it looks Lakland.

10. MHLakland

MHLakland Registered Bass Nut

Aug 13, 2008
    Florida
    Hard to argue the Lakland Oval Bridge and Chi-Sonics on it.

11. 3toes

3toes

Aug 30, 2006
    Charleston, South Carolina
    Endorsing Artist: Lakland Basses
    I asked Dan and Kirk a few weeks ago if there was anything in development at the Lakland labs in terms of new body-styles and such. The responded negative, saying they were still concentrating on getting the CSs worked into all their current models.

But who knows, they've done some cool/weird prototypes in the past...

12. J. Crawford

Feb 15, 2008
    OH/WV
    MH is right. The rounded bridge and Chis give it away. Fo sho.

I dont listen to Papa Roach, so I just generically said they were metal.

13. GregC

GregC Johnny and Joe Gold Supporting Member

Jan 19, 2007
    Chicago
    There was/is a black Lakland T-bird proto made some years ago, with a maple board. There's a photo floating in cyberspace--I saw it on the Dudepit, and more recently here. I think it's in a Fenderbird thread.

But Esperanza is pictured on Lakland's site with a black JO with Chi-sonics, with a rosewood board and blocks and binding.
    http://www.lakland.com/tobin-esperance-photos.htm

Perhaps the bass in the video is the T-bird proto refitted with Chis.

14. MarkusBass

MarkusBass Supporting Member

Feb 24, 2008
    California Coast
    Graphic Designer: Lakland
    Lakland John Entwistle Signature ‘Fenderbird’

lakland-full3627.

lakland-body3628.

15. RTL

RTL House Chicken Enthusiast Supporting Member

Jul 20, 2008
    Leander, TX
    Oh, I wasn't saying it's not a Lakland (it most certainly is). But the headstock looked really Fender-ish in the shots I saw.

16. sarcastro83

sarcastro83

Jul 27, 2007
    Toronto, ON
    that looks sharp, kind of.

17. J. Crawford

Feb 15, 2008
    OH/WV
    The post of him on Laklands website sure does make me question it not being a Jazz. That picture, with the Chis and everything, is giving me second thoughts.

The JE Fenderbird doesnt do anything for me. Its like its too plain to be a Lakland.

18. madbassplaya

madbassplaya

Dec 28, 2007
    the fenderbird posted doesn't have the same knob layout as the one in the video does it?

19. J. Crawford

Feb 15, 2008
    OH/WV
    Doesnt look like it.

I still say its his black Jazz now that I have seen the pictures.

20. madbassplaya

madbassplaya

Dec 28, 2007
    i saw the pics too, that is not a jazz bass though.