1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Laptop Recording and the Express Slot

Discussion in 'Amps, Mics & Pickups [DB]' started by SplitNick, Nov 16, 2010.

1. Does anyone have a recommendation for a good express slot sound card for recording with a laptop?

I would like to have something with 1/4" inputs and most everything I see seems to be 1/8". It doesn't matter to me if the express slot card needs to be connected to an outboard unit.

2. emilio g

emilio g

Jul 16, 2008
    Jersey City, NJ
    Check out http://www.redco.com/.

If you can use a soldering iron, it is very cheap to make adapter cables to fix problems like this.

3. The 1/4vs.1/8 really isn't the main issue. I have severe latency with my onboard sound card.

Thanks for the info. I may be able to find a good card there.

4. emilio g

emilio g

Jul 16, 2008
    Jersey City, NJ
    What are the laptop's specs? Also, are you open to other interface options, like USB or Firewire?

5. I have a Samsung R580...I5 processor running Win 7... the current audio devices are Realtek and Nvidia Geforce, but I believe the Nvidia is video related audio...I am not the most up on the hardware...

I think the latency is directly realted to the Realtek device as the latency is present in not only recording, but simple playback of a lined in instrument...

I am open to USB or express card...I don't have an IEEE interface...

6. D.A.R.K.

D.A.R.K. Supporting Member

Aug 20, 2003
    Virginia
  7. Good stuff. I need to start saving some gig money.

8. Bob Rock

Bob Rock

Dec 30, 2009
    Bear in mind that most laptops are not built with pro audio in mind. There are laptops designed and built for pro audio but again not cheap.

9. The R16 looks like a good, inexpensive solution. I may go that direction just because of the versatility. If issues were just inherent in the laptop I have I could still use the r16 and just store and edit on the computer.

10. basshog

basshog

Nov 29, 2008
    I know you're not going in this direction but....I just wanted to chime in and say that RME makes the BEST stuff. The Baby face is the only thing out there that can give the Duet a run for its money (in the 2-chan interface world).

It's good to see some RME love around here!

11. The RME looks great, but for my home applications it is a bit of overkill. My home recording consists of idea capture. If I am doing more professional recording I leave it up to somebody that knows a lot more than me.

12. emilio g

emilio g

Jul 16, 2008
    Jersey City, NJ
    @basshog Have you checked out Metric Halo? Their interfaces sound great and the software they include is outstanding. Sounds as good as any of the Apogee stuff, but much more flexible. I've never used RME, any idea how it compares?

@SplitNick It sounds like you have a decent computer. Just go to Sweetwater.com and check out the USB interfaces...there are lots. The Zoom stuff might suit you best because its a USB interface as well as a standalone recorder you can take to gigs and whatnot.

13. Appreciate all the good advice. I am probably going in the r16 direction.

14. T-zone

T-zone

Sep 5, 2007
    Philadelphia, PA
    The latency problem you are experiencing is because of all the layers that are in Windows between the sound card and whatever software you're using. the Audio Stream Input/Output (ASIO) protocol developed by Steinberg lets you bypass all this. I'm sure you can download ASIO drivers that will work with your soundcard somewhere... google around a bit, shouldn't be too tough.

I use an M-Audio JamLab to plug my basses into my laptop. It's a USB device that I got for under $50 and it ROCKS. Check it out.

15. Damon Rondeau

Damon Rondeau Journeyman Clam Artist Supporting Member

Nov 19, 2002
    Winnipeg, baby
    Definitely check out ASIO drivers. IME, they usually have some kind of control that lets you adjust parameters related to the latency problem you're having. Standard audio drivers simply aren't suitable for most of the stuff we musicians want to do. They're designed for listeners, not producers.

But, depending on your needs, of course, recording live takes with something like a Zoom and processing it later in your laptop is a very simple, reliable way to do things. Maybe even cheaper in the long run (again, depending on your needs.)

16. I am going to search for some ASIO drivers. I may need to ask for some advice when I come upon something.

17. ASIO4ALL is a good and free download-able driver that work's good for me.
    It reduces "latency on my laptop significantly" to an acceptable amount.
    You can download it here:

http://www.asio4all.com/

To playback multiple audio applications at the same time IE -software media player and a software synthesizer you would need to add the free "ASIO wrapper that Steinway has developed. The wrapper didn't work with all of my Windows 7-64x software so I'm not using the wrapper for now.
    You can download the wrapper here:

http://www.vidance.com/asiomulti/asiomulti.html

Last but not least is the ECHO Audio cards. I would call them with specific information about your computer system and software to make sure it will work for you.

http://www.echoaudio.com/