1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Last band I played for.......dissapointing experience

Discussion in 'Bass Humor & Gig Stories [BG]' started by g4string, Apr 29, 2009.

1. g4string

g4string Supporting Member

Sep 19, 2002
    Melissa, TX
    Ya, I think I learned a thing or two;)

2. heath_r_91

heath_r_91

Jun 3, 2006
    Topeka Area, Kansas
    Endorse:Artus-Basshanger-Dava-EC-Hartke-Orange-InEarz-SHS-Tigi
    Honestly, you must not know much about the scene.

If you are in an original hard rock band that actually wants to make touring status, chacnes are that you play with numerous bands on each gig. Gigs normally start anywhere from 7-9 with anywhere from 3-5 bands. Opening bands usually play about 30 minutes with the last band ("headliner") playing closer to an hour.

You usually drive at least somewhat of a distance for your gigs since you are trying to spread the word about your music.

Your band usually only makes a cut of the door money after the sound man has taken out his cut (usually first $100 or 10%).

I.E. You are playing a gig with a total of 4 bands. If the door is $5, 50 people show up, there is a total of $500. Sound man takes $100. Each band ends up with about $40 which most of the time goes back into the band for either promotion/recording or whatever.

It's not new, it's been this way for a long while. If you want the gigs to be different then that, you will most likely have a hard time getting the gigs unless you are a real hot band.

Original bands take a long time to actually be profitable. You offered to be there bass player, not to be a hired gun. You agreed to play the gig. Not all stages are awesome (if there even are stages at all of the places) and they do make earplugs that don't suck.

BUT.

I don't know what I'm talking about. I'm just in a pop/punk band that gigs regularly with big acts.

3. g4string

Sep 19, 2002
    Melissa, TX

I am in my 30's, so I am not clueless. I have some ideas of what 'the scene' is all about......however neither myself or the guys in this band are in it to be rock-stars. That came up in the discussion #1.......if that was their goal I would have never auditioned. As far as any official word that "your our guy" or "your in" never happened. Re-read my post........I could have cared less if the gig paid $0, its how he handled the situation. Not trying to be a bick, just saying that they took advantage of me to cover a gig.

4. heath_r_91

heath_r_91

Jun 3, 2006
    Topeka Area, Kansas
    Endorse:Artus-Basshanger-Dava-EC-Hartke-Orange-InEarz-SHS-Tigi
    The way I read it I saw it as you became a member of the band, they just didn't outright say it.

If you saw it as you being a hired gun, then yeah, you were treated unfairly. However, when you are acting as a hired gun, as many have already said you should be sure to settle pay before hand.

Not doing that is the equivelent to working for a month at a job, then when it's time to get paid you try to negotiate the money. It just doesn't work.

Sorry if I sounded harsh, I just took what you were saying in a different way than the way it was meant I believe.

5. Ic-e-man

Ic-e-man

Apr 12, 2009
    On the bright side, you have 3 brand new drivers in your cab. Just trying to help.

6. g4string

Sep 19, 2002
    Melissa, TX
    My status wasn't black and white, it was gray and blurry.......Although, I didn't feel like I was a hired gun. It was more like a "trial" period........I dunno????

7. Have you called up the drummer guy and politely asked "When do I get paid for the gig ?"

8. And you say you didn't get paid? Go figure.