Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Layla 3G vs. Firepod

Discussion in 'Recording Gear and Equipment [BG]' started by full_bleed, Jan 3, 2006.

1. Layla 3G

4 vote(s)
    50.0%
  2. Firepod

4 vote(s)
    50.0%
  1. full_bleed

full_bleed

May 27, 2005
    Arizona
    OK here's the question... Which one has the clearer more true to life sound. Which one would you recomend and why?

2. full_bleed

full_bleed

May 27, 2005
    Arizona
    Wow I was expecting a little more action on this thread considering the fact that these are 2 of the top 5 home recording interfaces being bought right now. I guess none of them were sold here.

3. Josh Ryan

Josh Ryan - that dog won't hunt, Monsignor. Staff Member Supporting Member

Mar 24, 2001
    Look for technical specs and manufacturer of the A/D converters. then decide on inputs being built in, or added on. Compare that to your budget.

4. full_bleed

full_bleed

May 27, 2005
    Arizona
    thanks for the reply blisshead but I know that sometimes technical specs and real world specs can very greatly. I was hoping that someone here had heard results or have personally used both units. I'm leaning towards the firepod purley because of the preamps and the phantom power. If the laya 3G kicks the firpod's ass in sound quality though, then I'd have no problem buying extra phantom power supplies and preamps.

5. Wrong Robot

Wrong Robot Guest

Apr 8, 2002
    I have a firepod. I really like it. It does everything I want it to do, it sounds good, and I haven't had any issues with it. I'm also not a snob with these things.

6. full_bleed

full_bleed

May 27, 2005
    Arizona
    Well since it's my money and I don't feel like spending it on one thing only to find that something else would have made me happier I will be a snob about these things.

How long have you been using your firepod and for what? What type of music? How faithful is it to the actual sound?

7. Wrong Robot

Wrong Robot Guest

Apr 8, 2002
    I've been using the firepod for about 6 months

http://www.icompositions.com/artists/Wrao

There's my music, the latter half is mostly firepod stuff. Check out "The vision" for a recording of my bass direct into the firepod, if you want to get an idea of how it sounds.

I don't make any one particular type of music and not all of that music was done with the firepod.

The firepod sounds great to me, but I have not heard the layla unit.

8. full_bleed

full_bleed

May 27, 2005
    Arizona
    Awesome I'll check it ok thanks!

9. full_bleed

full_bleed

May 27, 2005
    Arizona
    Do you remember what kind of bass were you using when you recorded The Unavoidable Battle?

10. Very flexible - preamps are very transparent.

11. msquared

msquared

Sep 19, 2004
    Kansas City
    This is like asking whether a Toyota or a Honda will get you to the grocery store faster. In this price range, it's really so close that it's doubtful that you will notice any difference whatsoever between the A/D converters of the Layla and those of the Firepod in a double blind listening test.

I've used both and they're both nice units. I think that featurewise the Firepod beats the Layla by a nose, though. Plus IMO it looks cooler (which of course is of paramount importance).

12. Wrong Robot

Wrong Robot Guest

Apr 8, 2002
    As with everything else on that site, the bass was my fodera monarch 4 string.