Lead Bass..? Oh yes! I'm back at it :)

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by PUREJOYPEOPLE, Jun 5, 2019.

1. PUREJOYPEOPLE

PUREJOYPEOPLE

Feb 13, 2016
    Las Vegas
    This was our first time playing this song (March 8th 2019) but we happened to be able to film and record it. Hope ya'll enjoy it and I love feedback/questions about what I'm doing on bass ;)

2. wvbass

wvbass Supporting Member

Mar 1, 2004
    West Virginia
    I have thoughts.
    1. I like your voice.
    2. It took me a minute to be sure you were wearing pants.
    3. I feel like Mustangs have become a little cliche.
    4. I don't like the music, but that is just personal taste.
    5. I also don't hate it - I made it to the end of the video, and that doesn't always happen.
    6. I like a minimalist kind of sound, but the combination of minimalist and different is a bit much for me.
    7. I think your bass playing could be a little smoother. (That is one of my criticisms about my own playing.)
    8. Good on you for being creative, a little different, and brave enough to put it out there.

3. I like it, keep doing your thing! This is the effects page so fill us in on your rig, please.

PUREJOYPEOPLE and jbybj like this.
  4. PUREJOYPEOPLE

PUREJOYPEOPLE

Feb 13, 2016
    Las Vegas
    Thank you for the feedback! It really does mean the world to me :) The Mustang is a rad short scale bass relatively inexpensive so that's probably why it's popular these days. Short scale is somewhat necessary for this sound. I have really only been doing this (playing bass) for about 8 months and was never a full time bass player until then. I have a lot to learn for sure. This was the first time we played this song but excuses aside, you're on point and it feels good to have real criticism that is in my opinion meant to build rather than to destroy ;)

lesclaypoolsob and wvbass like this.
  5. PUREJOYPEOPLE

PUREJOYPEOPLE

Feb 13, 2016
    Las Vegas
    You're right! I am continuing to upgrade my pedal board but I'll post a current pic ;)

bassbrad likes this.
  6. Great groove. Like the raw/sparse/open feel. cool use of fx's

For me it's all about the groove

Thanks for sharing

PUREJOYPEOPLE likes this.
  7. PUREJOYPEOPLE

PUREJOYPEOPLE

Feb 13, 2016
    Las Vegas
    Much appreciated! And it's our pleasure :)

8. And tell us how you are using the pedals, I like your creativity and may steal some of your ideas for myself.

9. Cunkybunkfarts

Cunkybunkfarts

Jan 29, 2019
    Sounds cool! Not the kinda music I normally listen to, but I always like seeing the bass/drums duo thing happening, and you are playing great! What effects are going on here? Octave/harmonies and fuzz?

10. I could not do a whole show that way but i am working up some numbers with this line up. Check out Colin Hodgkinson for inspiration, he was doing this bag in the sixties and seventies

11. A little shame and inspiration for us all is a good thing!

12. DDXdesign

DDXdesign formerly 'jammadave' Supporting Member Commercial User

Oct 15, 2003
    Vegas
    Love it! You guys are great. The only thing I really missed was the extra, lower, vocal note where it would normally go '...together naa-owwwww' which is just a thing I really like in that vocal line. IDK what other effects you have available, but you could experiment with a suboctave (can't tell if it's there already) and maybe a very very tiny bit of delay or something to make that bassline a little bigger, more full, both when the upper octave is going and when it's not.

13. Tommy V

Tommy V

Feb 19, 2019
    i literally just checked this out on youtube before coming here.... again, excellent cover!

14. PUREJOYPEOPLE

PUREJOYPEOPLE

Feb 13, 2016
    Las Vegas
    Here's a photo someone ripped from the video ;) haha

Attached Files:

MynameisMe, Tommy V and bassbrad like this.
  15. PUREJOYPEOPLE

PUREJOYPEOPLE

Feb 13, 2016
    Las Vegas
    Right on! Thank you!

Tommy V likes this.
  16. PUREJOYPEOPLE

PUREJOYPEOPLE

Feb 13, 2016
    Las Vegas
    Admittedly we are somewhat limited to what can be done live but we may record this in studio and then we can add in some extra depth to my vocals :) I do use a sub octave on this song ;) During this performance I was only using the Digitech 'bass syth wah' with a this distorted effect it has. Now I use a separate Fuzz (Reagan Fuzz) and the digitech just for the sub octave. If that makes any sense lol

17. PUREJOYPEOPLE

PUREJOYPEOPLE

Feb 13, 2016
    Las Vegas
    Yes, pretty much those affects. I am expanding the "guitar side" by using a Helix. I may eventually use two Helix's lol. It's getting crazy haha

18. DDXdesign

DDXdesign formerly 'jammadave' Supporting Member Commercial User

Oct 15, 2003
    Vegas
    Oh I was just referring to the fact that you just did the "now" as one note and then pulled away from the mic in the middle, instead of doing it as two notes held through. Again just a thing I happen to like about the way the original vocal line goes. =0)

I get ya about the BSW and all. I like the BSW's suboctave a lot! I was just listening on my laptop so I couldn't tell.

19. PUREJOYPEOPLE

PUREJOYPEOPLE

Feb 13, 2016
    Las Vegas
    I may be unconsciously doing some things differently because I am playing and singing. But that's why I love this feedback because I can fix it if I am alerted to it haha! So, thank you!

bassbrad likes this.
  20. Awesome version of an awesome song. I loved it!

21. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Dec 6, 2021