Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Leaps and bounds

Discussion in 'General Instruction [BG]' started by Jace The Bass, Nov 25, 2004.

1. I was sightreading a cello book the other day it had some rather large interval leaps
    ie: from a low F# ( 2nd fret E-string ) to a high G ( 12th fret G-string )
    This also happens quite frequently in the book I guess cello playing has alot of large interval leaps although I have not come across this in my reading gigs but I'm sure there would be a time where one day it will happen
    Anyway I'm trying to figure out a way of trying to make large leaps say from the first three frets to the 12th fret and upwards without looking at my fretboard
    Is there anyway that any of you guys have come across this problem and if so how did you overcome this barrier
    I suppose I could memorize the parts anyway anyone out there that has any helpful tips :help:

2. stephanie

stephanie

Nov 14, 2000
    Scranton, PA
    Personally, I've realized it just takes a lot of practice and getting used to. I haven't really found any tips or shortcuts. In this I have put a lot of focus into making a smooth transition from the lower note to the higher note and hitting the notes on time. When I started coming across these big leaps they intimidated me because I could never get to that higher note on time or I'd try too quick to hit the note and end up hitting the wrong note or getting fretbuzz because my placement wasn't perfect.

3. wulf

wulf

Apr 11, 2002
    Oxford, UK
    Don't forget that a cello is tuned in fifths, giving it a much wider range than the bass. For example, playing D at the fifth fret on the A string and then the octave at the seventh fret on the G string is an easy stretch on bass. However, the equivalent pattern on cello would take you from D to F# - a major tenth rather than an octave. I think the F# to G leap you mention would be the same as going from the second fret on the E string to the sixth fret on the G string, if you were tuned in fifths.

Assuming you don't want to retune your bass, the answer to your question is going to be either practise, get used to playing the lower notes in higher positions (not useful in the example you cited) or get more strings!

Wulf