Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Lemur and adjusters

Discussion in 'Setup & Repair [DB]' started by Jeff Bollbach, Sep 28, 2004.

1. Jeff Bollbach

Jeff Bollbach Jeff Bollbach Luthier, Inc.

Dec 12, 2001
    freeport, ny
    Hey Guys,
    Just got back from vacating in Cali and I had occasion to drop in on Jerry Buffa at Lemur Music. I've dealt with Jerry for years but this was the first time I got to meet him face to face. Wonderful guy and the store/shop is fabulous. Lots of good basses-if you are in southern Ca. definately stop by. He has quite a few of the newer Krahmer[Pollmann] instruments and they are quite a few steps up from anything else I've seen come out of Germany.
    Jerry is into a bunch of interesting things and one in particular I wanted to mention here. I'd never been much of a fan of wooden adjusters as most were crappy Indian or Phillipine imports with all sorts of problems. I know, I installed a huge amount where i used to work and they were very inaccurate and would commonly fail or crack the legs. But there were some adjusters being made that were real good and the ones I knew of were the ones made by Bob Stenholm. Really high quality but they were still in my opinion a little too thick in the shaft diameter which would make them risky installing in certain bridges. I knew that Bob was retiring so I was pleased to hear that Jerry has begun to produce them and was even more pleased to hear that he had been concerned about the thickness as well and planned to make the aduster shaft in a smaller size. Well, I just got my first set and I am happy to report that the quality is just as good[perfect actually]. They are a bit pricey compared to other adjusters but this is a part of the equation where being cheap[getting your adjusters made in India] is a bad idea. Anyway, you can see them here-
    http://www2.mailordercentral.com/lemurmusic/prodinfo.asp?number=A1342&variation=&aitem=3&mitem=3

2. flatback

flatback

May 6, 2004
    Bolinas Ca
    Jeff,
    I have a question...Are bridge blanks graded like the adjusters above? and which are the best?
    I am in need of a new bridge and while I realize that the most important factor by far is the luthiers carving skill, I wonder if there are bridge blanks that are superior? I live quite a ways from my favorite west coast luthiers and I thought that if I made the trip south to have either of them cut me a new bridge, it might be helpful if I showed up with some adjusters and a nice blank...I dont know for example whether bridge blanks are ordered and arrive at a luthiers uninspected, or are chosen specifically by grade?.
    I don't change the bridge that often and when I do I'd just assume get the best bridge that I can.

3. Jeff - do you know if Jerry is using the same special machinery that Bob Stenholm made for producing the original "Robertson" adjusters?

4. Jeff Bollbach

Dec 12, 2001
    freeport, ny
    Bob-
    I don't think that Jerry is using the same special machinery, just perhaps different special machinery. We didn't go into the process too much cuz there was so much to see there. Jerry did tell me that he had to invent a process to cut the ebony threads correctly. If I am not mistaken recent adjusters coming out of Robertson's shop had a graphite shaft and Jerry has returned to the original ebony one.
    Flatback[Hey-that's a Fuquaism for Bollbach!],
    Sure there are many grades of styles and qualities of bridge blanks but I wouldn't recommend showing up at your luthiers with one. First, he/she's gonna be able to get the blank cheaper usually and it is also kinda insulting. Sort of suggests that they don't know what they're doing. In choosing a blank there are some chops involved that are luthier specific.

5. flatback

flatback

May 6, 2004
    Bolinas Ca
    Thanks for the info, I kinda suspected as much. Its a funny line when you don't know what is stepping on someone's arches and what is not...
    Thanks so much for the info as always,
    p

6. Scot

Scot Supporting Member

Mar 20, 2004
    Pacifica, CA, USA
    Jeff,
    I was planning on taking a trip down to Lemur to check out some of the basses. What did you think of the basses Jerry has in the shop? Anything stand out? I've been eyeing that Karl Grimm bass on his website. Did you get a chance to check that one out? Thanks and sorry to stray off topic from the adjusters.

-Scot

7. Jeff Bollbach

Dec 12, 2001
    freeport, ny
    Not off topic at all. In general all the basses were very well set-up and of good or better quality. I didn't go thru all the inventory so I missed the Grimm bass. The Krahmers and a few old Italians stood out.

8. arnoldschnitzer

arnoldschnitzer AES Fine Instruments

Feb 16, 2002
    Brewster, NY, USA
    Jeff--welcome back, you've been missed on TB! You say the Pollmanns are a step above other basses coming out of Germany. Have you seen Horst Grunert's instruments? To my taste, they are more logical in style and have a strong sound, and the workmanship is impeccable...not to dis Mike and Ralph; they are super craftsmen.

9. Jeff Bollbach

Dec 12, 2001
    freeport, ny
    The reason not to dis the Krahmers is not their super craft ability but their super bone crushing ability. I saw Horst's ISB bass and I'll agree with you as to the logic of style. Mebbe the K's basses are a bit over the top but I still think they're cool.

10. Jeff - Checking in for the first time, could you tell what the new thread size is going to be?

11. arnoldschnitzer

arnoldschnitzer AES Fine Instruments

Feb 16, 2002
    Brewster, NY, USA
    Hey, Mark--not to hijack the thread, but welcome aboard TB. Folks, Mark has a super reputation in Red Sox country as both a bassist and set-up guru. I look forward to Mark's future contributions...

12. Sam Sherry

Sam Sherry Inadvertent Microtonalist Supporting Member

Sep 26, 2001
    Portland, ME
    Euphonic Audio "Player"
    My man! Nice to see you, Mark!

What this guy does with fingerboards is astounding . . .

13. Welcome to TBDB Mark....Any colleague of Arnolds and Sams is a colleague of ours!

14. Hey Guys,
    Thanks for the kind words! I've been lurking around here for some time, but have always been shy to chime in.
    The reason I'm interested in the thread size is because I'm testing some new inserts that Fishman gave me so you can use a Full Circle on a bridge w.7/16th [Wooden] adjusters.
    Unfortanately I was the guy who talked them into using the 1/4"x20 threads on the Full Circle.The reason being they were looking for what was most common on adjustable bridges and not to sell new bridges every time a player wanted to switch to this pickup.I know some of our resident Luthiers hate these things [1/4"x20], but I was just giving them info as a consultant.
    Any ways the insert works great and even though you have one wooden adjuster[G side] and the pickup[E side] I have'nt noticed any diference in sound from when both wooden adjusters are on the bridge.
    Again ,Thanks for all the nice praise from my fellow Bass Cats and I look forward to checking in from time to time.