Let’s talk Jazz basses

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Lukasonbass, Sep 26, 2021.

Tags:
  1. Lukasonbass

Lukasonbass

Dec 12, 2019
    New Hampshire
    I’m toying with adding a Jazz bass to the line-up but kind of torn on what direction to go.

It would essentially serve as a back-up bass on gigs but I would also like to use it for our motown set, so I’m specifically looking for a vintage sound.

I love the idea of the Flea Road Worn but the truss rod adjustment is a buzzkill, I don’t think they’re worth the $1429 price tag they come with currently, and there’s an alarming amount of complaints with necks being warped.

I’ve also considered going with a MIM Geddy or Squier CV and doing a pick-up and string swap.

I’m not looking to go nuts, I don’t need anything fancy. I just want that vintage look and sound in a cheap but work worthy package.

Im a Stingray and P-bass guy so im in foreign territory here haha any input is appreciated!

MGCollis, JRA and mouthmw like this.
  2. I own a Flea Jazz.
    Never had an issue with the neck ( Lazer straight & feels like a comfy well worn neck ) although I know a few have.
    The pickups are superb, the hardware is "as expected" but very usable.
    The absolute star for me though is the twin stack pot controls. Why this hasn't remained the standard Jazz layout is beyond me, as personally I feel I have far more tonal adjustment than a VVT setup.
    Plus there's the road worn nitro-cellulose finish, which continues to age nicely
    Its now the only jazz I own.

3. Lukasonbass

Lukasonbass

Dec 12, 2019
    New Hampshire
    I LOVE the twin stack pot, big selling point there for me as well. I can’t understand why they changed that either.

DJ Bebop and dcbluesbass like this.
  4. jdaunt

jdaunt Supporting Member

Jun 30, 2016
    Grand Blanc, MI
    Hard to go wrong with the Geddy, and i’d imagine they’d have fixed the neck issues on the Flea by now. But that said, wanting to use a Jazz for a vintage Motown sound is counter intuitive, since most of the Motown guys used Ps. That’s not to say that you can’t use a J for Motown, and having the variety of basses is always a great idea, but just don’t want you to be disappointed that what you plan on using it for may not live up to your expectations.

5. Lukasonbass

Lukasonbass

Dec 12, 2019
    New Hampshire
    Ahh good to know, for some reason I thought they used Js haha. Just blew my mind.

I’d still like to add one to the line-up but will definitely adjust the application, thanks!

Last edited: Sep 26, 2021
    DJ Bebop likes this.
  6. jd56hawk

jd56hawk Supporting Member

Sep 12, 2011
    The Garden State
    I bought one of these six or seven years ago.
    Pretty much cut my teeth on it.
    Five years ago it was damaged in a fire and I sold it.
    Finally bought another...discontinued model, they're getting harder and harder to find...especially a "new" one.
    Even with the D'Addario black tapewounds, it still has that unmistakable Jazz bass growl.
    No need for a Fender Jazz with this one.
    Pics-Art-09-08-03-31-16.jpg

Last edited: Sep 26, 2021
    shojii, Qlanq, Aqualung60 and 10 others like this.
  7. alack

alack

Nov 20, 2000
    Florida
    Save yourself some $. Find a Squier CV or even a VM and start with just a string swap. I have a VM70s model and to my ears the pickups sound fine. It certainly sounds like a J bass.

SoCal80s, Qlanq, Aqualung60 and 11 others like this.
  8. Lukasonbass

Lukasonbass

Dec 12, 2019
    New Hampshire
    Squire has come a really long way, I’m totally happy playing them. If it was my main bass I could justify spending extra for a better fit and finish but I think Squire is underrated honestly.

9. alack

alack

Nov 20, 2000
    Florida
  10. Jefenator

Jefenator Supporting Member

Aug 22, 2008
    Oregon
    You might want to consider assembling from parts if you're halfway handy. My Allparts/Warmoth/Hipshot/Lollar J sounds & plays better than any authentic Fender I've ever tried thus far.

JRA, kentiki, 40Hz and 1 other person like this.
  11. Lukasonbass

Lukasonbass

Dec 12, 2019
    New Hampshire
    nerkoids likes this.
  12. Lukasonbass

Lukasonbass

Dec 12, 2019
    New Hampshire
    Tempting as well…
    Lollar is definitely on my list whatever I end up doing

13. sloppy_phil

sloppy_phil

Aug 21, 2011
    Toronto, ON, Canada
    Not actually named Phil
    I'll throw another vote out for a Squier. Got a CV Jazz earlier this year (70s mind you, not 60s), and am loving it. Stock pickups are actually pretty decent, possibly good enough as a backup bass. I saw this as becoming my main bass for gigging covers, so given the use it has, and will continue to get, swapping the pickups out made sense. So far the bass has proven super robust; just got through a couple outdoor shows on days where we had all 4 seasons within the span of the gig, at a time where we're going from hot and humid to cool and dry, and the neck hasn't moved in the slightest! I was seriously expecting it to, so am really quite pleasantly surprised by how robust this thing has been straight out of the gate.

Almost went with Lollars, but ended up with Fralins, and I am LOVING them! If you go the swap route, be sure to give them a look too.

Don't worry about the P-heavy emphasis when playing Motown; I've gotten by using this J in a very traditional/purist Motown project, and they were all loving the tone. You can rock it for sure!

DJ Bebop and Lukasonbass like this.
  14. rashrader

rashrader

Mar 4, 2004
    Baltimore, MD
    If you like the idea of the Flea, but want to spend a little less, checkout the 60th Anniversary Roadworn Jazz. I love mine.

noeinstein, DJ Bebop and Lukasonbass like this.
  15. Steadfast

Steadfast

Sep 28, 2015
    Search Me
    I am wanting to get a reliced jazz bass but with 24 frets. (Particular originals require it). I am playing an Ibanez 2600 premium. But it looks odd to me and I am afraid to scratch it. Lol. I have a fender 24 v but it has dead spots above the 21st fret. Maybe bacchus or gamma makes one that is affordable that I can bang up myself? Plus I like fender style headstock and tuner position.

Lukasonbass likes this.
  16. mmbongo

mmbongo Regular Human Bartender Supporting Member

Aug 5, 2009
    Carolinas
    Lowendchamp, Qlanq, mikecd1 and 2 others like this.
  17. Lukasonbass

Lukasonbass

Dec 12, 2019
    New Hampshire
  18. Fernando Costa

Fernando Costa

Aug 4, 2013
    Lisbon
    Squier CV 60's.

19. ejaggers

ejaggers

Aug 18, 2009
    Fort Worth, tx
    What PUP and strings are you considering swapping too?
    I put a Fralin 5% overwound on my Squier P,
    and a John Benson custom on my Musicmaster.

In both cases, I couldn't be happier.
    Benson's prices are more reasonable though.....057912

Lukasonbass likes this.
  20. Lukasonbass

Lukasonbass

Dec 12, 2019
    New Hampshire
    I was debating Fralin, Lollar, or StoneWall (local guy but amazing pickups and an incredible tech)

21. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Oct 28, 2021