Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Lets Buy A Wish Part II

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by coffee-sipper, Sep 24, 2004.

1. coffee-sipper

coffee-sipper

Jul 10, 2003
    Raleigh NC
    This is in response to the original Let's buy a wish thread.

completely off the shelf model - what he sells on eBay - no truss rod, no frets, passive. I think it should probably just be the bass in the picture. The most barebones model.

I say we go for the review of a Wish round 2. I live in Raleigh NC and could pick one up. I am also a retailer and maybe he could give us a deal as long as we are upfront about its purpose. However, I am writing my thesis and am a little short on time. So This is what I suggest:

Recreate a paypal fund:
    -Create a list of interested people including addresses.

-Those who contribute get added onto the list (we should keep the list open for say a month?? that'll let me finish my thesis).

-We could organize the list by geographic area to be more efficient in travel/shipping (I propose fedex since it'll only cost about 10 bucks each time to ship).

-Each person would keep it for a week (record with it if possible) - post pictures of themselves with it (if possible) and post a review (required).

-My vote is for the "basic" model. like:
    [​IMG]

One concern is how can we assure that the bass will actually make it's rounds to the people on the list?

2. I'm interested, if I can figure out how to use PayPal. :smug:

I'm in Québec (Sherbrooke area), just a few miles north from New Hampshire.

Yeah, having seen what happened with Part I, it's not really reassuring... :meh:

3. i'm interested...i'm in Wisconsin

4. coffee-sipper

coffee-sipper

Jul 10, 2003
    Raleigh NC
    I just sent Wish an email. I will post the email on this site when I get home. I think we could use some advise on how to set-up the paypal account (I have business account). I really think we need some discussion on how to make it work with the forwarding of the bass. I don't want to have to go the route of deposit or anything - I think we can come up with something. We need about 20 interested people to fund the purchase (at 10 bucks a piece) remember it will cost an additional 10 bucks to ship to the next person. Any ideas?
    Thanks,
    -c

5. Juneau

Juneau

Jul 15, 2004
    Dallas, TX.
    Id be interested too, its such a small donation (if it was $10 like last time), that if something did happen and the bass was lost, it wouldnt be a huge deal to me.

6. lbanks

lbanks

Jul 17, 2003
    Ennui, IN USA
    Hey, ya know I'm in! I want compare it with mine.

7. jammadave

jammadave Rudderless ship Supporting Member

Oct 15, 2003
    Wash DC metro area
    I'm in as well. Want to see what one of his off the shelf ones is like - my old one had frets and all that jazz.

Oh, and this time nobody mods the bass, we all review it exactly as-is.

8. vcat

vcat

Jun 2, 2004
    Charleston, SC
    I'm in - Charleston, SC

9. BassDmb18

BassDmb18

Dec 28, 2002
    Davie, FL
    If you let him know ahead of time whats goin on, it will turn out to not be so 'off the wall' , he'll probably go read a few chapters on "Making Basses for Dummies" and fix it up a little before sending it out.

10. phatcactus

phatcactus

Apr 2, 2004
    Chicago, IL
    I'd love to experience The Wish. :) Chicago, IL.

11. You can nount me in!
    mine would be just a small donation of $10 or $15 though

12. James Hart

James Hart

Feb 1, 2002
    toms_river.nj.us
    Endorsing Artist: see profile
    Excuse me.....

:eyebrow:

All Y'all are looking to buy ANOTHER ONE TO SHIP AROUND???

:rolleyes:

I don't get you peoples

:rollno:

why are you encouraging the man.

13. Bassic83

Bassic83

Jul 26, 2004
    Texas, USSA
    I'm down with it...$20 to possibly find the bass of my dreams? Sure, why not!

14. BassDmb18

BassDmb18

Dec 28, 2002
    Davie, FL
    I guess its cuz they all know, it does sound good.. Minus the glue and chewing gum construction, crooked rulers and abnormal wood and measuring, it could be a bass they all would want just for sound.

Just for sound, I kinda want one, but I still don't over look the fact that I may end up with a bass where the strings are actually mistakingly made to be played on the back of the body.

15. Im definetly in, Im in upstate new york now for college
    ...how do we work this again? I just have to give $10 right?

16. Bryan R. Tyler

Bryan R. Tyler TalkBass: Usurping My Practice Time Since 2002 Staff Member Administrator Gold Supporting Member

May 3, 2002
    Connecticut
    Y'know, you can put a passive EMG pickup into another bass that's well-made...

17. coffee-sipper

coffee-sipper

Jul 10, 2003
    Raleigh NC
    I will work out the paypal details. I would like to create a seperate "account"/fund just for this. I am looking into the feasability. If you contribute make sure that your current address gets to me as well as your TB username and email address.

So if you contribute make sure I have your correct:
    TB username
    Current address where the bass will go
    email address

We still need to work out how to make sure the bass gets to EVERYONE that contributes in a timely manner. Since both Wish and I are in the Southeast that is where the bass will begin it's travels.

18. coffee-sipper

coffee-sipper

Jul 10, 2003
    Raleigh NC
    >Dear Mr. Wishnevsky,
    >I run a small business online business out of my home in Raleigh NC called
    >Cool Cat Bass. More specifically, the line of products I carry are related
    >to the bass and sound modification. I am currently revamping my inventory
    >here at www.coolcatbass.com. Additionally, I am an active member of the
    >online bass guitar forum - www.talkbass.com. The bass guitars that you
    >craft are a common topic on the board eliciting either intrigue or the polar
    >opposite. I for one am very intrigued by your designs.
    >
    >In response to the polarized views of your products a year ago the following
    >was proposed: "What do you all think of making a small talkbass fund to buy
    >a wish bass and have it evaluated? I suggest we create a fund where members
    >if they are interested can donate money to, and once 300 bucks or so are
    >accumulated we buy the bass and have it sent to JT for him to check out. No
    >it won't have seven strings but I think he is easily the most respected and
    >reputable guy around here to do this sorta thing. I think it might be an
    >interesting little experiment to see what these wish basses are really like.
    >I'd be the first to donate with ten bucks if people want to do it."
    >
    >After sometime, the money was raised and the bass was purchased. The bass
    >began making its rounds to the people who contributed to the purchase funds
    >for submission of a review. For one reason or another the bass only made it
    >to a few of the original contributors before being assimilated. However,
    >recently those of us how would have liked to be part of the first "Let's buy
    >a wish" project have began organizing a new, better planned, project to let
    >people actually try one of your products to hopefully lull the nay Sayers.
    >
    >We are proposing the purchase of one of your basic models like the “Stude”
    >to use in the review process. Do you have a “Stude” or similar model
    >available in stock form? I live in Raleigh and would like to pick the
    >instrument directly as I will be the starting point of the basses journey.
    >One quick point - We have yet to raise the funds and expect that such will
    >take approximately 4 weeks to do so.
    >
    >I wanted to be as upfront as possible about our intentions with the bass.
    >At the very least this project will hopefully provide some direct feedback
    >about your work. I for one am a traditionalist when it comes to choosing a
    >bass design. However, as I mentioned earlier, I have been very intrigued by
    >your designs as have many of the members of the Talkbass forum.
    >
    >Thank you for your time and consideration in this matter. I look forward to
    >hearing from you.
    >
    >-Charles Thayer

19. coffee-sipper

coffee-sipper

Jul 10, 2003
    Raleigh NC
    sure, i think thats a good idea... i will have a stude next week, if you want to call me then... try wendsday.. 336-661-9060.. thanks... wish

20. coffee-sipper

coffee-sipper

Jul 10, 2003
    Raleigh NC
    I will work out the fine details in order to make this thing work and get back to you.