1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Let's talk GK heads

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by jar546, Apr 12, 2009.

1. jar546

jar546

Dec 14, 2006
    Top 3 current GK heads?

All opinions/experiences and reviews welcome.

Thanks

2. Fusion 550
    Fusion 550
    Fusion 550

3. BadB

BadB

May 25, 2005
    AZ, USA
    800RB

4. JanusZarate

JanusZarate Low End Avenger Gold Supporting Member

Feb 21, 2006
    San Francisco, CA, USA
    Uh... this is a bit of an odd question. Are you talking about overall sales or just what's popular on the board? Or simply what's the cream of the crop - the "best" heads GK makes?

IMO, the best GK heads on the market now depend on what you're looking for. Need classic, reliable, and popular among bassists old and new? 800RB. On a budget and need the best bang for the buck among the new Mark-II heads? IMO, the 700RB-II is the ticket. Need massive power? The 2001RB delivers. Looking for something that strays a little from the traditional GK sound, and incorporates a tube preamp? The new Fusion 550 is getting a lot of love here. Want something that's incredibly tiny and light? The MB2-500 may be the one to go for.

Were you just wanting to start up a massively open-ended conversation, or are you looking for specific advice? Just curious.

5. chubrocker

chubrocker

May 6, 2006
    KCMO
    800RB--#1!!
    1001RB
    Fusion 550

6. Loel

Loel Blazin' Acadian

Oct 31, 2004
    800RB

700RBII

400RB

7. D Rokk

D Rokk Banned

Feb 19, 2009
    Delta Quadrant
    i play a 1001RBII and it is really powerful

8. John Webb

John Webb

Apr 20, 2006
    Myrtle Beach,SC
    Old 800RB
    thumps

9. RBASS930

RBASS930 Gold Supporting Member

Feb 26, 2005
    New York
    Just this past week I hooked up my mid 80's 800RB, and it was beautiful. I haven't used it in months, but everytime I pull this sucker out and hook it up, I am amazed. One of the best heads out there IMO.

gk.

10. jar546

jar546

Dec 14, 2006
    Wow, looks like the 800RB is the winner. Don't know much about this head, must be a solid performer. I play a lot of classic rock so maybe this can be a good fit. I was thinking about the Eden WTX 500 but am having second thoughts since they are still not officially out yet.

Needed something lighter to replace the Mesa Boogie 400+ that I had to sell because of my bad back.

11. 1001rb-ii wins to my ears followed by the fusion 550 and the good ol 800
    cant wait for the fusion 1050 and the mbfusion to come out :hyper:

12. JanusZarate

JanusZarate Low End Avenger Gold Supporting Member

Feb 21, 2006
    San Francisco, CA, USA
    With that said, I would definitely direct you to one of these:

700RB-II (or 1001RB-II, if you think you'd really need that extra headroom)
    Fusion 550 (my current GK head of choice - warm but still punchy, and it has two channels!)
    800RB (Classic and easy to find used because it's been in production for over two decades)

The Fusion is the heaviest of the three, but it's nowhere near as heavy as the 400+.

If weight is a major factor to you, consider the 5-pound MB2-500. And GK will soon be coming with a "Fusion" version of it as well, featuring a tube preamp...

13. jar546

jar546

Dec 14, 2006
    Thanks, the 6 bay rack with the Mesa was way too much. I don't think the 800RB will be an issue. I don't need to go to ultra lightweight, just lighter.

14. Best and worst...

I used an 800RB that was in the rehearsal space of a band I did some work with. It was a great amp with a classic sound. I remember it being kind of limited in volume, but that's not to say it wasn't loud enough to use. It might not cut it in a REALLY loud metal band or something like that, but it was fine for our needs.

I owned a 1001RB-II for just over a month. Loud as all get out, but I took it back for a refund because the hiss coming from this amp drove me nuts. We plugged it in at the store and the sales guy said, "oh ya, there's nothing wrong with it, that's just the these amps are." Great sounding amp otherwise, but the hiss didn't go away, regardless ANY of the settings. It was always there, unless I turned it off, of course :))

15. BillyRay

BillyRay Supporting Member

Jan 20, 2008
    Quebec
    Not enough love for the old 400RB, the original "pocket amp", altough you needed big pockets ;)

I love mine. I'm more attached to it after playing it for a bit over a year than to any of the basses I've ever played.

16. mcm

mcm

Oct 2, 2007
    Nashville, TN
    I have 2 GK heads. The 400rbiv and the 700rbII. I dig them both. I use the 400 mostly. It has plenty of power for a large bar. Believe me. I use it with a 410 and only turn it up about halfway.

17. vintage 800RB
    1001RB
    400RB

18. Grizzly700

Grizzly700

Mar 18, 2008
    Maryville, TN
    This.

19. adube810

adube810

Mar 6, 2008
    Brooklyn, NY
    does anyone have any idea on the pricing of the new MB fusion head?

20. I would just get any of the current GK heads.

That's odd, maybe it was a bad batch of them, I have a quiet one.