Levy's Leather Straps: 4.5" TOO Wide?!?

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by Zooberwerx, Feb 4, 2017.

Tags:
  1. Zooberwerx

Zooberwerx Gold Supporting Member

Dec 21, 2002
    Virginia Beach, VA
    I'm in the market for a new padded strap and ran across these on-line. Both of my existing straps (Mono Betty and Levy's Neoprene) measure out at 3.25"....coincidence, not planned....and are fairly comfortable. My biggest concern is whether a 4.5" strap will ride-up or dig into my neck. The closest narrower alternative I can find is the MSS90 which comes in at 3.5".

I appreciate your input!

Riis

2. Bozendoka

Bozendoka

Mar 13, 2011
    Minnesota
    I've got one; at first it was noticeably wider than my 3.5" strap and I could feel it on my neck, but now I don't really notice it. That said, I think I'd go with a 3.5" strap if I had to order another one.

3. I recently acquired a 4.5" strap, but have used them in the past as well. This Levy's is padded as well and right now in the new phase I can notice it, but after a while it will relax and be less rigid.

Quantized Harmonic, PillO and bholder like this.
  4. TomB

TomB Supporting Member

Aug 24, 2007
    Vermont
    Funny you should ask. I've used 4" straps the last couple years, but have receny encountered the neck issue, as I'm seated more and more - not an issue when standing. I'm thinking of looking around for 3" padded with suede lining.

5. Zooberwerx

Dec 21, 2002
    Virginia Beach, VA
    I appreciate the collective candor! Here's the only padded 3.5 I could find...it's the MSS90:

MSS90-DBR.jpg

6. dharmashawn

dharmashawn Owner, Handlebar Moustache In Memoriam

Oct 20, 2010
    Connecticut
    I had this and it is W I D E!! I found it too much.

7. Zooberwerx

Dec 21, 2002
    Virginia Beach, VA
    Wow....at 3.5"?!? From the looks of things, this would be the top-end limit for me. Thanks!

Riis

8. dharmashawn

Oct 20, 2010
    Connecticut
    Cancel that!!! This is what I downgraded to! Love this strap!!

9. I will take some photos of mine when I get home.

Element Zero and Zooberwerx like this.
  10. Zooberwerx

Dec 21, 2002
    Virginia Beach, VA
    Well, make up your mind dagnabit! Where ya located in CT?

Riis

11. dharmashawn

Oct 20, 2010
    Connecticut
    Haha.....I know....after I hit post I looked I on the floor!!

Originally: West Haven/ shore

Currently: Thomaston...Litchfield Hills

12. matante

matante

Nov 3, 2003
    Los Angeles
    I once ordered a 3" strap and received a 4.5" strap by mistake. I could feel it on my neck and I thought it looked a little dorky as well. Too distracting if you're going to wear it on stage. I sent it back, got my 3" strap and am happy with it. I'd consider a 3.5" if I really loved everything else about it, but that's as wide as I'm willing to go.

Last edited: Feb 4, 2017
  13. Strung_Low

Strung_Low Supporting Member

Apr 3, 2012
    San Franciskee
    I had one and it was super comfortable, loved it. i would still have it but it got stolen:/

JohnJenkins and UnderTheRadar like this.
  14. inthebassclef

inthebassclef Supporting Member

Jan 8, 2012
    I did a lot of strap hunting and finally found the duo strap to be the best for me. But that is just one mans opinion

15. Manticore

Manticore

Feb 27, 2016
    SoCal
    My go-to bass weighs in at just over 14 lbs, so a wide strap is virtually mandatory. I use 4" straps from Levi's and they work fine. Very comfortable, even during very long gigs.

16. LUCE

LUCE

Jan 9, 2015
    Denver, CO
    Had a 2.5" strap for 30 years and decided to treat myself to a 4.5 Levy's. Beautifully made, padded, lots of adjustability -- and it killed my shoulder. At first I thought it was due to a heavy EBMM I seldom gigged, so I used it with a trusty old P -- and it crippled me after three sets. Don't know if it's just me, the way a 4.5 rests on my bones/nerves, or what. I just know I'm back to my old strap. Too bad - I really wanted to like that crafted piece ...

17. Ant Illington

Ant Illington I'm Anthony but I'm only illin' Inactive

I got the 4.5 and used it for a while then went back to my 3.5. It might be a matter of breaking it in, it is much firmer than my 3.5 now is so, yes, I did feel it on my neck a bit. Other than that, the 4.5 is a great strap. Couldn't get strap locks on, though, too thick. But holes so tight you don't really need em.

18. kevk

kevk Supporting Member

Jan 17, 2014
    Napa Valley
    I've got 3 of the mss90 3-1/2" straps (in black)...super comfortable and perfect width. I WISH they were designed like the 4-1/2" model, with more leather on the top. (I only like the black, as it doesn't look like it has a "stripe" down the middle)

If Levy made the 4-1/2" model design, in a 3-1/2" version...perfect, imo.

None the less, the mss90 is a super comfortable strap...

Zooberwerx likes this.
  19. dharmashawn

Oct 20, 2010
    Connecticut
    I think I have the one I found too wide here...I'll post a pic of the 2

20. desert_rain

desert_rain

Jul 14, 2015
    Eindhoven
    I am a skinny and 170cm guy. Last month I bought 4,5" levy. It is not wide and it is very comfortable. My shoulder is relaxed much.

21. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jul 23, 2021