Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Light weight basses

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Possum, Dec 6, 2003.

1. Possum

Possum

Dec 6, 2003
    Can anyone suggest a light, narrow neck bass for my teenage daughter?

2. yamahas are pretty good and they seem pretty light, dunno about the necks though.

3. Figjam

Figjam

Aug 5, 2003
    Boston, MA
    Steinberger Headless basses are light and have a relatively narrow neck. www.musicyo.com They are also pretty cheap.

4. christle

christle Supporting Member

Jan 26, 2002
    Winnipeg, MB
    I'll second the Yamaha. Godin is also nice and light. Some Ibanezs might meet your requirements as well.

Dan

5. What's the budget? That can make a major difference.

6. jammadave

jammadave Rudderless ship Supporting Member

Oct 15, 2003
    Wash DC metro area
    CORT CURBOW 4. Six pounds, narrow neck, small body, and a buncha very useful tones to boot. Plus, they're inexpensive.

7. bluemonk

bluemonk

Dec 17, 2002
    Michigan
    I was going to say the Cort Curbow, too. It is reviewed (along with a bunch of other basses) in the most recent (Dec.) issue of Bass Player, although they say it's 7 lbs 12 oz. You can also see what it looks like, which is quite unusual. They also have the Daisy Rock Stardust, which is made for teenage girls. It also has a narrow neck and is 7 1/2 lbs. She will probably either love or hate (no in between) the pinkand white sparkly finish. Also, the Warwick Rockbass is about 7 1/2 lbs and looks more normal than either of these. The neck is not narrow, though, but I am a woman with small hands and it is fine for me. The Ibanez Erodune bass (EDA900) is also between 7 and 8 lbs and has a very narrow neck that is great. It also looks very 'wild'.
    Happy hunting!
    Girl bassists are awesome:bassist:

8. I'm also in for Cort Curbow, really light, and nice tone

9. bluemonk

bluemonk

Dec 17, 2002
    Michigan
    Sorry about the typo. It's an Ibanez Ergodyne EDA 900.

10. You might look into the Fender P Lyte Bass, only sold used but, they weigh about 6 pounds and have a small, yet perfect neck for playing.

[​IMG]
    Treena

11. pyrohr

pyrohr

Aug 28, 2001
    Pakistani compound
    Reverend Rumblefish:bassist:

12. nbw

nbw

Nov 10, 2003
    Arlington Texas
    I would vote for a Cort Curbow. I just recently recieved my cc6 and I LOVE IT!!!!!

Although, it is a horrid bass to play when sitting unless you have your strap up high. not only is it really neck heavy(well the 6string is dont know about a 4) but the bottom horn is too small and it wants to fall off your lap.

I rarely ever play sitting down so it doesnt bother me, but it could be a pain in the ass for others..

13. christle

christle Supporting Member

Jan 26, 2002
    Winnipeg, MB
    The December issue of Bass Player has a roundup of mid-level basses. Each is described well including the weight of the bass. It may make a useful guide fo you.

Dan

14. Jackson just release a new line of basses called the Anti- Gravity series. Suposed to be really light (6-8lbs). I haven't been able to find one to test drive but I am looking in the same market. On average anything made from alder or swamp ash is on the light side. Yamaha is good, so is some washburn, and warmoth stuff.

15. Assumer

Assumer

Mar 26, 2003
    Arkansas
    I just picked up a shecter today. Cannot remember the model but it was the lightest bass I have ever picked up. Neck was nice and thin. I did not plug it in though, so I cannot tell you how it sounds. It was made out of some blond wood with a different top in the style of the yamaha TRB neck throughs

16. Suburban

Suburban

Jan 15, 2001
    lower mid Sweden
    Danelectro Longhorn. [full stop, unless you can afford an extra light BassLab STD]

Cort Curbow is not too heavy, but feels heavy - due to bad balance.

17. a retro semi solid...
    the older basses had more parallel necks and felt thinnish..not fenders though..
    or at £399
    [​IMG] danelectro :)

18. Bard2dbone

Bard2dbone

Aug 4, 2002
    Arlington TX
    I can't believe nobody has mentioned the Guild Pilot. They can be had for cheap. They were feather-light. (At least mine was.) They had great sounds. I miss mine.

Mine had a solid maple body, rosewood 'board and EMG's. All the same tones I was getting out of my Jazz (mostly) at two thirds of the weight!

19. i also have a EDA900. but the problem now is: i cant play well other basses with larger necks :D but the eda 900 rocks!

20. 90UOTE]Originally posted by C//LiMBa
    i also have a EDA900. but the problem now is: i cant play well other basses with larger necks :D but the eda 900 rocks! [/QUOTE]

I love meeting people who own an Ibanez EDA900/905 series bass. :hyper:

Not only are they light, they are very, very comfortable to play sitting or standing.

http://www.ibanez.com/guitars/guitar.asp?model=EDA905

Check one out if you get a chance.

Mike ;)