1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Lightweight 1x15 combo suggestions!!

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by yorchbass, Jul 2, 2012.

1. yorchbass

yorchbass

Mar 29, 2008
    Hi there!

Sold my 4x10 cab to get one of these lightweight 1x15 combos. Got tired of moving that little dude around several flights of stairs, several times a week.

I am somewhat centered on either the TC Electronics BG250 or the Carvin MB15, so anyone with any experience with either (or both) give some feedback to make the "ïnformed" decision. They are pretty much the same taking out the BG250's edge with the TonePrints.

I play an Ibanez 5 str. active, small rooms, styles from rock to latin.

Also looked at other models, GK MB115, Ibanez P3115, mainly focusing on less than 40 lbs.

Help me out here guys!

2. If your budget allowed I would look at getting a GK MB800 and one of the new "Super 12's" Barefaced, fEARful, Audiokinesis, Baer... the list goes on.

A Suped up micro head and a cab full of ass kickery. This will let you do more than a combo and still be very light.

3. $1,800 dollars later lol.

4. The head can be had for ~$700, and the cab can be built for ~$500. More than the OP wants to spend? Maybe but its a whole lot more rig than a combo with a 15" driver. It also fits his lightweight need. You want to go lightweight, loud, and go low? Then your budget has to be accommodating. He could save a lot of money buying used gear off of CL, but its not going to meet his light weight criteria.

5. yorchbass

yorchbass

Mar 29, 2008
    Thanks CL400Peavey.

Sorry for not stating my budget limitations beforehand. I certainly can't reach what you recommend. Of course, it would be damn awesome to have a rig so powerful and so light.

Anyways, I don't need that much juice for what I'm doing. 200-300W should suffice. I'm looking for something between $300-$400.

If I had the $1k plus I'd probably consider a Markbass 15" combo too, but that's not the case.

6. Might look into the GK 115 combo, way cheaper than the Markbass, and IMHO a better rig anyways.

7. jumbodbassman

jumbodbassman Gold Supporting Member

Dec 28, 2009
    Stuck in traffic -NY & CT
    Born Again Tubey
    might look used stuff also.

8. Lo-E

Lo-E

Dec 19, 2009
    Brooklyn, NY
    I can't speak for the Carvin MB15, but I've used their BR515 for about a year and a half.
    It;s just a little heavier than your target at about 45-50 lbs. I know it's not really the model you're eyeing up, but I'll throw it out there anyway for you to consider.

Cons: A little bit heavier than 40#, a definite mid-range 'honk' that takes a little EQ patience to get rid of, slightly above your target price range.

Pros: After EQing the mid hump out it sounds pretty good, it's been dead reliable, the head is removeable - VERY handy, and a good sounding head which I've used quite a lot with other cabs, Carvin was very easy to deal with in the ordering process, handles a low B well.

Hope this is helpful-
    E

9. yorchbass

yorchbass

Mar 29, 2008
    I've been looking for used equipment, but there are a bit difficult to get a hold of. I'll just have to stay online some more time. They go pretty fast.

Thanks for the info on the BR515. They're 43 lbs. so weight is not a factor. I'm asking Carvin for its price, because I understand it should be a bit pricier than the MB15 ($400).

The GK MB115 seems to be a solid combo. It has very good reviews on MF and other sites. But since they are all priced the same (around $400), would it be more solid than an american-made Carvin combo?

10. ::::BASSIST::::

::::BASSIST:::: Progress Not Perfection.

Sep 2, 2004
    Vancouver, BC Canada
    The gk mb115 is going to sound better/fuller than the carvin mb15 as that enclosure of the carvin is just too small to produce decent bass at band level volume.

If I were you I'd look hard at the gk mb115. However, one caution is that you may need to add bracing and batting to the gk, depending on your standards. I know I would.

And for the record, I built a fEARful 15/6 (out of Italian Poplar) at a weight of 43LBS. I would bet big that you could build a 12/6 out of the same wood and have it weigh less than the gk mb115 and it would sound both louder and fuller. Not as cheap though.

11. Jim Carr

Jim Carr Dr. Jim Gold Supporting Member

Jan 21, 2006
    Denton, TX or Kailua, HI
    fEARful Kool-Aid dispensing liberal academic card-carrying union member Musicians Local 72-147
    I am not a combo fan. I have been there and done that six times. Never happy with them.

Lately, I picked up a used GK MB800 head from TBer Lomo for around $400, IIRC (works great with my fEARful 15/6/1). If I were the OP, I'd look for a similar head—or maybe a GB Shuttle or Streamliner used and then add a light used cab.

A 112, 115, or 210, ought to be findable for about $350 or $400. That's ~$750 for a modular expandable rig that is easier to transport than a combo, and depending on the cab, will blow 99.375% of all combos out the door down the street, and around the corner. IMHO.

12. JazzbassArt

JazzbassArt

Dec 12, 2004
    Andover, MN
    Given the kick ass qualities of the 212 MBE I just used(34lbs), it's hard to imagine the same cab in the combo version, would be any different. Those 2 12" drivers, will roll over a 15" cab. Try one, I'd be surprised if you don't like it. I like mine (212MBE, NOT the combo, don't own it)

13. basss

basss Supporting Member

Aug 27, 2001
    NY
    I've used the Ibanez P3115 on a few gigs. It's great - gets about as loud as others in it's class (GK mb115, TC bg250) but is smaller and sounds better IMO.

14. fourtet102

fourtet102

Jun 20, 2012
    Phoenix, AZ
    I hate heaters!
    I've had few Carvins and now own TC BG250 - sounds really good, and it's super light.

15. Lo-E

Lo-E

Dec 19, 2009
    Brooklyn, NY
    43 lbs. is a little optimistic on Carvin's part, I think. I'd bet mine's a little closer to 50#, maybe just under. It's still pretty easy to schlepp around.

For whatever reason, Carvin often has better deals on Ebay than they do on their regular web site. Personally, I don't get it, but hey, whatever floats their boat right?

As I said, the sound is a little boxy until you get the EQ figured out, but having the BX500 head as a removeable, separate piece has really been an awesome feature. For me, it was well worth the extra cash.

16. jeff7bass

jeff7bass

Apr 9, 2009
    I've tried them both and the Carvin sounds plenty full once you figure out the EQ section, which is better than the GK's. It's clearer too so it's cuts thru the mix. Not to mention an extension can be added to the Carvin for a 250w stack. Made in America too. Happy 4th.

17. alaskaleftybass

alaskaleftybass Will Hanbury, Jr. Supporting Member

Mar 21, 2012
    Sitka, Alaska
    +1. I'm getting one of these. :bassist:

18. Nugun

Nugun

Dec 31, 2011
    Mesquite, TX
    Bringing this thread back to life... Can anyone actually compare sound quality and volume between the two? I'm actually in pretty much the same predicament here.