1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  
    TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Lightweight cabinet recs

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Lbsterner, Mar 13, 2018.

1. Lbsterner

Nov 22, 2017
    I own a nice SWR Goliath Jr. cabinet that I will never part with. The problem is that, at almost 59 years old, I can sort of lug it around but it's hard to lift it up to pack it into my car or anywhere else. So I went out and bought this cabinet, which is 44 lbs and a bit more luggable:

TC Electronic K-210 2 x 10" Bass Cabinet with 1" HF Driver

The problem is, of course, it's not the SWR and doesn't sound nearly as good, and so the outcome is that after gigging with it for a while I'm back to lugging the SWR around and begging for help with it. Band mates don't seem to mind, but I do. I have a little Fender Rumble Combo for small rooms, which is great, but for larger rooms, I need something. Currently running a GK 400RB into it but I'll likely be replacing that with more power at some point.

Any thoughts on a better sounding cabinet that is in that same weight range (45 lbs or less)?

2. ArtechnikA

ArtechnikA I endorsed a check once... Gold Supporting Member

Feb 24, 2013
    Check out RevSound.
  3. Pricey but I enjoy my Aguilar sl 212s.
    punchclock, petch, micgtr71 and 2 others like this.
  4. basscooker

basscooker Commercial User

Apr 11, 2010
    cincy ky
    Owner, Chopshopamps.com

Voice makes a big difference. Judging from your OP, it is going to be a big factor in your decision. You may be near another TBer that has a boutique cab that you can try. There are some amazing cabs that can do loud, and are ridiculously light. BUT they aren't going to be stocked in music stores, and probably won't turn up on the local CL.
    brocco and Lbsterner like this.
  5. Lbsterner

Nov 22, 2017
    I'm in Sacramento, CA and yes, I really need to hear it. Ideally, I'd want to hear it in the mix but I know that's not feasible. If i can A/B it against something I already know, like my rumble, I can at least get a sense of how the tone compares.

Doing some searches on the stuff already mentioned, I'm getting the understanding that this is going to be hard to do :) I'm not even finding anything used online that I could take a chance with.

The Aguilar stuff looks great but probably out of my price range unless I save up my ducats. The RevSound is more my speed, price-wise.
  6. DiabolusInMusic

DiabolusInMusic Functionless Art is Merely Tolerated Vandalism Supporting Member

Have you considered just getting a hand cart to roll the cab around? You'd still have to heave the cab in and out of your trunk though.

As far as replacement options, I would highly suggest Markbass. Their cabs have a low-mid bump that makes them sound pretty similar to SWR (to my ears.) They are also all neo driver cabs, so they are light. If you buy used, Markbass is not that much more than other brands.
  7. Lbsterner

Nov 22, 2017
    I already use a hand cart. You're right, I still need help getting it from the cart into the car. It needs to be lifted at that point and I am stubbornly independent about asking for help. I'll look into those Markbass cabs. Thanks!
    DiabolusInMusic likes this.
  8. Papuzzo

Dec 11, 2017
    Milan, Italy
    +1. Markbass cabs are rediculously light and yet push a lot of air. I think they do have some "vintage" voicing to them, while the K210 is fairly flat and more hi-fi sounding. You can't turn off the tweeter on the K210, but can on the Marbass gear.
    Skaswan, spvmhc, bulldean and 2 others like this.
  9. basscooker

Apr 11, 2010
    cincy ky
    Owner, Chopshopamps.com
    4 ohms may paint you into a corner. If you end up liking it, but find you need more power at times, depending on your amp you may be SOL.

Also between that price and tax/shipping there are used boutique options that are in that price range used.

Not trying to dissuade you, but that isnt a snatch-it-up price for that cab.
    Lbsterner and DiabolusInMusic like this.
  10. Lbsterner

Nov 22, 2017
    There's an 8 ohm version of that one, as well. I just posted that link to show the cab. I have a friend who works at the local GC but if he can't cut me a deal then I'd probably look for one used - if I decided I like it enough. I still like the boutique options but wondering how to shop for those.

ETA: My gut is telling me to check out the RevSound.
    basscooker likes this.
  11. basscooker

Apr 11, 2010
    cincy ky
    Owner, Chopshopamps.com
    Lol I didn't even notice that wasn't a used listing haha. No wonder I thought the price was rather ambitious.

The first place I'd look for the boutique options is in the classifieds here. You could post a thread seeking Sacremento TBers with Barefaced, Audiokinesis, Fearful/fearless and others willing to give you a listen... Also could watch for a GTG in the area.
    Lbsterner likes this.
  12. DiabolusInMusic

DiabolusInMusic Functionless Art is Merely Tolerated Vandalism Supporting Member

Don't forget to check out your local CL. For whatever reason, used cabs are always a hard sell on the used market. You can get some killer deals by cutting the middleman. Never be afraid to lowball either. Contrary to what some people think, lowballing is not a personal insult.
    Lbsterner likes this.
  13. jthisdell

jthisdell Supporting Member

Jun 12, 2014
    Roanoke, VA
    Bergantino makes some really nice lightweight cabs including their HDN neo line. (I have two from the slightly older CN line.) Maybe a little out of your price range but I have bought used very successfully. There is a dealer in Redwood City Gelb Music.
  14. Fletz

Fletz Supporting Member

Jan 16, 2009
    New Jersey
    Hartke artist
    I can't recommend the Hartke hydrives enough.
    watspan, son_of_mogh and Helix like this.
  15. five7

five7 Supporting Member

Dec 5, 2009
  16. Jewce

Feb 23, 2018
    Santa Maria, CA
    Markbass has some great cabinets with 6" and 8" speakers. They sound amazing, and get surprisingly loud. Maybe try looking into something like that.
    Lbsterner likes this.
  17. Element Zero

Element Zero Supporting Member

Dec 14, 2016
    Can’t go wrong with the Mesa Subway 115. Outstanding lightweight cab.
    Rivoli, Jamie_Funk, smogg and 3 others like this.
  18. Lbsterner

Nov 22, 2017
    There's a RevSound 210 for sale here on Talkbass but it's all the way across the continent. I might have to try to find someone local who will let me test drive one.
  19. I've built a few lightweight cabinets to replace the old press board/lead cabinets.
    If I was you: I would duplicate the dimensions, use lightweight foam sandwich panels and install the speakers and hardware from the old cabinet.
    Best of luck with this.
    gitfiddl and Lbsterner like this.