Listening to jazz randomlike

Discussion in 'Music [DB]' started by agoya, Sep 19, 2018.

1. agoya

agoya

Aug 30, 2012
    Hi all,
    I like to listen randomlike to classic jazz radio stations and guessing who plays. (a kind of eartraining). my problem is that they ony post the leader and the title. Looking for each title to wikipedia is verry uncomfortable. Do you habe any ideas were ich can listen radmomlike jazz and see the comlete personel?

2. lurk

lurk Supporting Member

Dec 2, 2009
    NYC
    It can be frustrating. Even when radio stations name the recording they often fail to name the rhythm section (Grrrrrrr). SoundHound and Shazam are often useful and fun, but you usually have to Google the title to find the musicians.

3. Carl Hillman

Carl Hillman

Jan 1, 2010
    Shazam it, then once you have the title of the album, head to Discogs to see the personnel.

4. Jim Dombrowski

Jim Dombrowski Supporting Member

Jan 16, 2002
    Colorado Springs, CO
    I do the same thing, but find that the research aspect on Wikipedia or AllMusic.com is an enjoyable part of the process. (And I’m always amazed at how many times Paul Chambers appears on the list of players.)
    If you listen via YouTube, you will occasionally find the personnel listed for the individual song.

5. Discogs is the best place, but, while you are there just buy the vinyl and get a record player.

The Biz likes this.