Live Minidisc Recordings from Soundboard

Discussion in 'Recording Gear and Equipment [BG]' started by slipperyPete, Jul 22, 2005.

1. I have a great opportunity to record my live performances from the soundboard into a minidisc recorder. I was told that I will need a cable with quote "right and left 1/4 inch jacks to an 1/8 inch jack" but I'm unsure what this means really, why would I need right and left jacks if it is only going to be one instrument?

Also, if anyone can suggest a relatively inexpensive portable minidisc recorder model for me to look into buying (currently going to be borrowing one from a friend of a friend) that would be much appreciated. Thanks.
  2. baba

baba Supporting Member

Jan 22, 2002
    3rd stone from the sun
    Right and left are for stereo, regardless of how many instruments are in the mix. The minidisc needs 1/8 inch input but the board has 1/4 stereo outs. Hence the adapter/cable.

You could get a minidisc, but I'd check out Hi-MD. With Hi-MD you can transfer digital from the disc to computer without having to do the digital to analog to digital conversion.
  3. Thanks for the reply, as far as Hi-MD goes, it would be nice but I am on a tight budget at the moment.