Live Minidisc Recordings from Soundboard

Discussion in 'Recording Gear and Equipment [BG]' started by slipperyPete, Jul 22, 2005.

1. I have a great opportunity to record my live performances from the soundboard into a minidisc recorder. I was told that I will need a cable with quote "right and left 1/4 inch jacks to an 1/8 inch jack" but I'm unsure what this means really, why would I need right and left jacks if it is only going to be one instrument?

Also, if anyone can suggest a relatively inexpensive portable minidisc recorder model for me to look into buying (currently going to be borrowing one from a friend of a friend) that would be much appreciated. Thanks.

2. Right and left are for stereo, regardless of how many instruments are in the mix. The minidisc needs 1/8 inch input but the board has 1/4 stereo outs. Hence the adapter/cable.

You could get a minidisc, but I'd check out Hi-MD. With Hi-MD you can transfer digital from the disc to computer without having to do the digital to analog to digital conversion.

3. Thanks for the reply, as far as Hi-MD goes, it would be nice but I am on a tight budget at the moment.