Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Loewenherz basses

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by JMX, Jul 6, 2004.

1. JMX

JMX Vorsprung durch Technik

Sep 4, 2000
    Cologne, Germany
    These brandnew basses got great reviews (designed by German bassist Roland Kaschube and supposedly built by luthier Magnus Krempel of Hotwire fame).

Alembic-style basses are not my cup o' tea, but I guess some like them, awesome construction in any case.

http://www.loewenherz-basses.com/loewenweb/start.html

[​IMG]

2. Woodchuck

Woodchuck

Apr 21, 2000
    Atlanta / Macon (sigh)
    Gallien Krueger for the last 12 years!
    I honestly don't know what to think. I don't hate 'em, but at the same time, I'd never own one. Overkill on the controls I think. Hmm, lemme think about it, and I'll have my people get back to your people.

3. mark beem

mark beem Gold Supporting Member

Jul 20, 2001
    New Hope, Alabama
    My first impression was of some kind of crustacean... :meh:

4. Woodchuck

Woodchuck

Apr 21, 2000
    Atlanta / Macon (sigh)
    Gallien Krueger for the last 12 years!
    Okay, I thought about it. I don't like 'em. :scowl:

5. Kavorka

Kavorka

Mar 28, 2002
    Austin, Texas
    Wow. Can't stand the lion head below the bridge and there's more controls than I'd know what to do with. However, they do look like a lot of attention was put into them. Not my cup of tea,though.

6. i think that lion type thing at the bridge looks kinda stupid. the one on the far left is pretty cool, but thats about the only one i like.

7. McHack

McHack

Jul 29, 2003
    Central Ohio!
    Mark,

You NAILED that one perfectly. THey look like crab/lobster claws... I can appreciate the work, but I don't care for them at all.

8. danshee

danshee Banned

May 28, 2004
    Chicago, Illinois
    Overkill on the controls for sure. It looks like it was built for old world british royalty or something, in which case, I'm not worthy to own one. Oh well, I'll stick to my peasant basses. :bassist:

9. Frank Martin

Frank Martin Bitten by the luthiery bug...

Oct 8, 2001
    Budapest, Hungary, EU
    :meh:

the headstock reminds me of a clown's hat...
    the controls are scattered quite strangely - and it even looks bad
    the lions head sucks
    that additional hump under the lion-head is even worse - an "omega-cut" would've had been much better if it wanted to look like an Alembic, or nothing like on most basses
    those pickup covers may look okay on some basses, but on all basses... no cover would've been much better...
    :meh:

Conclusion: there was some nice wood wasted with these :meh:

10. slowburnaz

slowburnaz

Mar 27, 2002
    Tucson, AZ
    They look like mutant JayDee Supernaturals... 'cept that they're FUGLY!

11. JMX

Sep 4, 2000
    Cologne, Germany
    Just FYI, you have to control six(!) pickups there, not three (two in each housing).

I agree on the high degree of fugliness.

12. yea... I don't know... they arent BAD... but I wouldnt buy one.

13. McHack

McHack

Jul 29, 2003
    Central Ohio!
    IMHO,

It's GOTTA be a hoot to hear someone w/ a Germanic accent say, "Fugliness"...

14. T. Alan Smith

T. Alan Smith

Sep 9, 2001
    Too much of everything, IMHO.
    I'd even like the lion's head if they'd tone down the looks on the rest of the instrument. I dig the neck/headstock.

15. JMX

Sep 4, 2000
    Cologne, Germany
    Just FYI, I don't have an accent when I speak English ;) :D

16. I bet I would get hurt if i play it in the 22-24th frets.. :eyebrow:

17. Adam Barkley

Adam Barkley Mayday!

Aug 26, 2003
    Jackson, MS
    I honestly don't care about headstock shapes, but those are waiting to put out a bandmember's eye. :D

Also the number of controls aren't too bad, more than I'd want of course, but the way they are laid out seems counterintuitive. The way that Conklin controls are laid out seem like a better idea when more than four or five knobs are being used.

The designs are ok, but I wouldn't pay as much as what they probably want for one.