1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Look what FedEx brought today!!! Boutique Content!

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Carver, Oct 1, 2008.

1. Ok, there's a really long story behind this bass, but for now, I won't bore you with the details. Bottom line is, my father got me into playing bass when I was 13. He recently retired after 37 years and decided to help me start my own practice, so I thought it would be nice to have a custom bass built for him. After a long build time, it finally arrived today! I think my dad will be pleased. What do you guys think?

Specs:
    Minnieweather Myrtle SC5
    Burl Myrtle top and back
    Swamp ash body
    Flamed maple/curly bubinga neck
    katalox fretboard
    Nordstrand DC pickups
    Audere pre

Pics courtesy of Ed Gamboa

IMG_0159.

IMG_0160.

IMG_0161.

IMG_0163.

IMG_0164.

IMG_0165.

IMG_0166.

IMG_0167.

IMG_0173.

As soon as I leave the office today, I'll try to get some decent outdoor pics, but Ed is a much better photographer that me!:)

2. Bassenstien

Bassenstien

Jun 13, 2006
    Mississippi
    :eek: HOLY COW!
    How does it sound/play?

3. IAmTheDood

IAmTheDood Shake and Bake

Dec 15, 2006
    Waterford, MI
    woah!

that thing is awesome!

hope your dad enjoys it!

4. I would have gone for something a little more exotic and custom.

;)
    NICE BASS!:hyper::bassist:

5. scottbass

scottbass Bass lines like a big, funky giant

Jul 13, 2004
    Southern MN
    FedEx never brings me stuff like that, just instrument cables and mic stands and stuff like that. :bawl: I guess there must be two Fed Ex's, just like there are two Santa Claus's - one who brings great stuff to the rich kids and one who brings socks and underwear to people like us. ;)

jk, of course. Nice bass - enjoy!

6. That is beautiful. Definitely an eyecatcher. Talk about attention to detail!

7. stflbn

stflbn

May 10, 2007
    Nashville
    Very nice... I expected to open the thread and see yet another Black Fender Jazz or P-bass.

Thanks for the break from the monotony.

8. kesslari

kesslari Groovin' with the Big Dogs Staff Member Gold Supporting Member

Dec 21, 2007
    Santa Cruz Mtns, California
    Lark in the Morning Instructional Videos; Audix Microphones
    I think that's a pretty freakin' awesome gift, and a beautiful bass.
    Kudos to you and your father both.

9. Anthbass

Anthbass

Jul 24, 2006
    Canada
    @#$%@#$%^&*$^@$%^@#$%^#$&#^&!!!
    Seriously, very cool gift.

10. paganjack

paganjack

Dec 25, 2007
    Los Angeles, CA
    very weird and cool looking- i'm sure he'll love it!

11. Very cool... it looks great.. I bet it plays and sounds like butter :bassist: .... at least it BETTER!!

12. I had it sent to my office, so I haven't had a chance to plug it in yet. It's killin' me!!! It flew from Oregon to Mississippi, so I'd like to let it sit around to acclimate itself to the weather here before I really have a go at it. I'll post my impressions later.

Thanks. He deserves it. He's worked his a$$ off for 37 years to make sure his family has everything we need and more. Plus he recently helped me start my business, so this bass is a drop in the bucket compared to what he's done, but I think he'll be pleased!:)

13. WOW-WEE!!!!:eek: That stick is awesome. Congratulations!~!:)

14. Earwigger

Earwigger I'm a Roland man now.

Aug 23, 2005
    Cleveland, Ohio
    That is the strangest singlecut I've ever seen. I don't know weather I like it or not, but I'm leaning towards "yes".

15. EricF

EricF Habitual User

Sep 26, 2005
    Pasadena, CA
    Not my cup o' tea, style-wise, but I can certainly admire the craftsmanship and the beauty of the wood. It certainly is an amazing-looking instrument. You're a good kid! :)

16. Thanks...I have to give huge props to Todd Levy at Exotic Wood Brokers. The top and back were part of his private stash. I had to really twist his arm to get him to sell them to me, but I think it was worth it. He also supplied the Katalox. Great guy to deal with.

17. ElephantTalk

ElephantTalk

Jan 20, 2005
    Indy
    I, too, will work for bass!

You need anything done around the office? :smug:

18. puff father

puff father Supporting Member

Jan 20, 2006
    Endicott, NY
    That's a really amazing piece of workmanship there. Wow.

Very nice.

19. Very nice.

Am I the only one thinking that "Carver" is a scary name for, I assume, a doctor?:eek:

20. That fretboard is just awesome! I know your dad will appreciate this! Haha, not only is it "thoughtful" but its also a killer looking (and hopefully playing/sounding) bass.

Christian