1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Looking for 6 string bass.

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Jon Muir, Apr 1, 2020.

1. Jon Muir

Jon Muir

Jun 13, 2018
    Cincinnati, OH
    Hey guys.

So I’m looking to dip my feet into the realm of 6 string bass, as I like to play a lot of chordal stuff, and also mainly play jazz, so I think the extended range will open up new tonal possibilities for my soloing.

My two favorite basses atm are my 4 string lawsuit p bass and my 5 string SR5, both of which have wider spacing. I’m thinking I’d probably prefer that, as I find it allows my thumb plenty of room for the double thump.

My current max budget is $1500, and I want an active bass. Humbuckers are cool, but I’m not a fan of split humbuckers. I’d prefer to stay as low as possible, but still get a good gigging bass. What recommendations do you have?

2. DiabolusInMusic

DiabolusInMusic Functionless Art is Merely Tolerated Vandalism Supporting Member

An 18mm+ string spacing will limit your options to mostly the more expensive ones. Most of the more affordable 6ers use a smaller spacing.

Jon Muir likes this.
  3. Jon Muir

Jon Muir

Jun 13, 2018
    Cincinnati, OH
    I think I’d go down to 17mm, I don’t know what my Warwick corvette is, but it’s almost unbearable.

4. Gibson Victory

Gibson Victory Gold Supporting Member

Dec 21, 2019
    Well, I will jump out there as usual, since I went down this road so to speak awhile back. I thought I still had the pictures of what I am referring to here, but somehow I must have deleted them. They might able to still be seen under the “Schecter Owners Club” or something like that. Will try to get something up hopefully tomorrow. Depending on what you are looking for and the style of music that you play, you might want to take a look (notice I said just look), at the two 6’ers that Schecter makes. I own both the Stiletto Custom 6, and the Studio. Both are great. They are about the same, but have different features, if that makes sense. Either one is a great value for the money, when compared to others. Both have active pickup systems, which I frankly could do without. I also chose them over others, since I personally do not care for the extended upper “horn” on the bodies that others have. I wanted something that “looks” like a regular Bass would. Sorry. I am not as skilled as most of their players here on TB are, but I follow the music market on a daily basis. I can pretty much tell you what something sells for, both new and used, and maybe where to look for one. Remember that unlike 4’s, or 5’s, 6er’s for the most part are a really “hard sell” on the used marked. I have seen countless listings for Custom built instruments ending up selling for a fraction of their original value, or purchase price. Maybe just some things to think about. Best of luck !

Jon Muir likes this.
  5. gebass6

gebass6 We're not all trying to play the same music.