Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

looking for a bassist that plays like this! help!

Discussion in 'Bassists [BG]' started by Modern Growl, Aug 10, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. I'm looking for a CD thats is predominetly a bassist' spotlite. The type of playing I'm looking to hear is Complex/Technical Jazz type playing. Thats my style at least. A good album with nice tension n' release -Meaning, some technical/complex parts, really off timming, then a nice easy groove to release into. anyone????

I've really been dying to hear this.

the only album I have is Gary Willis' Bent. I like it, but I'm just looking for more.

Preferable Modern style, electric bass. No Upright...

2. Hm...Check out some Abraham Laboriel stuff, everything he has is great.

3. Matt Till

Matt Till

Jun 1, 2002
    Edinboro, PA
    Wow... this actually covers a lot of ground. For one... do a search, look in the "greatest bassists" threads or whatever. Because there are actually quite a few bassists that fit the bill.

Uhh... Victor Wooten? ;)

Here's one you may or may not like the band he's in Lars (something Sweedish as hell) from a band called Spiral Architect. Very tech/prog metal, his tone is very growl (I think that's why I thought of him... your name) but he is all over. And so are the guitars/drums it gets pretty chaotic sometimes, and for me is just an occasional listen. Mostly due to the vocals though... so 80s.

4. Matt Till

Matt Till

Jun 1, 2002
    Edinboro, PA

Wow, I read this twice and thought you said Abraham Lincoln.

5. Hah. Noooo man. You ever heard of Abe Laboriel dude? THat guy is insanely great.

He has two solo albums you can check out, Guidum and....*scratches head* another one.

6. Matt Till

Matt Till

Jun 1, 2002
    Edinboro, PA
    Right on. Not to derail the thread, but is he a bassist that is insanely great in the role of a bassist, or in the role of a soloist? Because flashy chops don't do it for me as of late. I ask it interact with other instruments in a polyphonic/rhythmic manner.

7. James Hart

James Hart

Feb 1, 2002
    toms_river.nj.us
    Endorsing Artist: see profile
    you mean like a large percentage of the fusion stuff of the last 30-40 years?

I'm closing this one since you posted it here and in recordings.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.