1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Looking for an Overdrive recommendation

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by Callum_Carcass, Mar 31, 2015.

1. So, for years I've used this and I still love it:

My problem is that I want to save some space on my Pedaltrain Mini, as this pedal is very big. Is there anything around me that is likely to give me the same sort of sound and function but is smaller?

2. dannybuoy

dannybuoy

Aug 3, 2005
    England
    I've not found anything similar in a smaller package that does bandpass distortion mixed with clean. A Darkglass B3K might fit the bill though - with the grunt and attack switches you can filter the dirt sound to be really high-mid focussed and blend that with clean.

Crystalman85 likes this.
  3. mmbongo

mmbongo Five Time World Champion Supporting Member

Aug 5, 2009
    Carolinas
    Yeah definitely sounds like a B3K. Might not work the same, but to me the end result is very similar. B3K might not get as high gain as he does at the end of that video though, if that's a concern.

crapusername likes this.
  4. Fuzzbass

Fuzzbass P5 with overdrive Gold Supporting Member

The VFE Triumvirate is a small pedal that does three-band distortion. You can set OD separately for bass, mids, and treble. I have the bass version, and love to run it with (mostly) clean bass and mids, and dirty treble. It doesn't have the frequency sweep knob of the Hyperdrive but it has a buttload of tones inside it. Here's a pretty good demo that covers a number of different tones:
    Vfe Triumvirate for Bass - YouTube

I like the Hyperdrive... just got one last night, in fact. But I've had the Triumvirate for a week now and believe it should work well for you. If you want to get really crazy, it has internal trimpots to adjust the crossover frequencies, but I haven't gone there yet... works great as-is.

Tip: if you want to have some GAS-inducing fun, go to the VFE pedal customizer tool on their website. You can choose from literally dozens of colors and knob types. And maybe I was lucky, but turnaround for the custom order was really quick, I had the pedal within a week. :)

5. Fuzzbass

I also own a B7K and like that too, but in my limited experience the Triumvirate better emulates the tunable overdrive provided by the Hyperdrive.

6. mmbongo

Aug 5, 2009
    Carolinas
    The pedal wizard is dangerous! Check out the Triiiumvirate I put together. Want this so bad :)

trium.JPG

BartmanPDX and Fuzzbass like this.
  7. J Dean

J Dean

Jan 7, 2012
    I'm using a Catalinbread SFT. I was not using an OD with my bass. I bought it for my guitar. Loved it with guitar, tried it in my bass setup & liked it better. Had a chance to snag a used one at a good price, now I have 2. One difference, the new one had a red LED, the used one had a green. The one with the green LED had a lower range to the eq, it went with my bass. The SFT has a great eq, good headroom & smooth OD.

8. Crystalman85

Crystalman85

Nov 30, 2008
    Chicago, Il.
    +1 on the darkglass b3k. another good choice for an overdrive pedal is a darkglass vintage microtubes. this pedal has a smooth overdrive sound that's very useful for rock and metal.

chaosmic likes this.
  9. Crystalman85

Crystalman85

Nov 30, 2008
    Chicago, Il.
    This pedal reminds me of this one pedal that was demoed on bass on youtube and I remember the control on this pedal consists 3 gain knobs that distorts lows, mids, and highs. I don't know if this is the same pedal or if it's a different pedal, but that's what I'm being reminded of when I saw this pedal.

10. mmbongo

Aug 5, 2009
    Carolinas
    Yep, that's the Triumvirate!

11. I'm digging the Triumvirate. Customisation option only adds more to the GAS!

Fuzzbass likes this.
  12. Crystalman85

Crystalman85

Nov 30, 2008
    Chicago, Il.
    Oh it is the same pedal...okay...I've recently checked out a clip of that pedal and it has some pretty cool sounds. I like how it sounds when the treble gain is turned up while the bass and mid gain is lowered. it has a more modern sounding distortion.

The sound at 3:08 on this clip is a sound I like from this pedal. it's got a cool heavy grind with some warm lows.

Last edited: Apr 2, 2015
    Fuzzbass likes this.
  13. Fuzzbass

Me too! :thumbsup:

I'm a pedal n00b, transitioning (downsizing) from decades of using rack rigs. In the past month or two I've been doing research, and bought a half-dozen overdrive pedals to compare. I'm still getting the hang of 'em, but so far the Triumvirate is my favorite of the bunch, and my favorite setting is dirty treble, and (mostly) clean bass and mid.

P.S. Here's the kitchen sink version of the Triumvirate: the VFE Rainbows Unicorns Puppies pedal (not April foolin'). It's not quite out yet but should be soon. Unfortunately that laser etched box was only available to Kickstarters. It's a $500 pedal ($450 pre-order).

Crystalman85 and hintz like this.
  14. I'm diggin' that Triumvirate! I really like the fact that it has a three-band distortion - that can give so many possibilities, and maybe even get a sound I like that I can't seem to get from my ODB3. Thanks for the suggest!

Fuzzbass likes this.
  15. I just got that same Ashdown Hyper Drive bass pedal last week and really like it so far. I like that it only drives the midrange frequencies from 200Hz-2Khz, so the bass retains low end and clarity better than most other Overdrive pedals I've used.

I also have a Sansamp and the Big Muff, both of which I don't really like or recommend.

I made a video with the Ashdown pedal if people want to get a better idea of how it sounds:

16. Jared Lash

Jared Lash Born under punches

Aug 21, 2006
    Denver, CO
    Part time lover, nice.

Cool video and some great playing there.

To echo earlier thoughts, there aren't a lot of options that do multiband distortion in a small format. I've never tried the VFE but it seems worth a look. The other pedals I can think of that can sound similar are the Dr. Scientist Elements and the Aguilar Agro. As mentioned, the Darkglass B3K also can get some of those tones. The B7K more so but it's obviously more expensive and smaller than the Hyperdrive but not by a ton.

vlsndgrdn likes this.
  17. Crystalman85

Crystalman85

Nov 30, 2008
    Chicago, Il.
    That sound pretty cool. and that's interesting that you demoed the ashdown hyper drive by playing man eater by halls and oates.

18. Emmm ... (smart ass modus on) Part Time Lover by Stevie Wonder (smart ass modus off).

19. Thanks! It's actually Part Time Lover by Stevie Wonder, as others have stated :)

20. Crystalman85

Crystalman85

Nov 30, 2008
    Chicago, Il.
    Oh it's part-time lover. okay...it sounds similar to man eater. but now that I listen, it is a different tune.