1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Looking for EUB with DB feeling, but convenient to transport

Discussion in 'Electric Upright Basses (EUB's) [DB]' started by Michal Herman, Jul 18, 2018.

1. Michal Herman

Michal Herman

May 31, 2013
    Hi all,

Because I am an amateur bass player with a full-time job I often practice in late evenings. During that times I use EUB with headphones to not disturb neighbors too much.
    I am now using Yamaha SLB100, which is very good because it has a feeling very close to real DB. But it's quite big for transporting for rehearsals and gigs - the bass in the case has about 175 cm in length.
    Can you recommend any other EUBs that are available on the market, have feeling similar to DB and it's more convenient to transport than SLB100? Because I would like to exchange my SLB100 to that bass it will be great to fit into $3000 price range.

2. Disclaimer: I play BG and EUB, but I've never so much as held a DB.
    The NS EUBs won't be what you're looking for (I have a WAV4).
    However, I've just commissioned a Stico from Biarnel (Biarnel Stìco - Handmade Electric Upright Bass - Biarnel Liuteria) - if you stick to a plain paint-job and avoid fancy options like a figured-maple top, it should come in around your target price-point. It probably won't be much shorter than your SLB, but apparently it's designed so you can remove the neck for easier transport, so that may make it more practical for you.

Michal Herman likes this.
  3. madbanjoman

madbanjoman

Feb 23, 2011
    Pittsburgh
  4. ArteK

ArteK Supporting Member

For all their well-documented faults, a decently set up Palatino has much more of an upright feel than any of the “stick” versions. It’s got that bounce in the strings that eludes most of them. It’s the only electric upright I’ve played where I don’t shred my fingertips trying to play too hard.

carl h. likes this.
  5. Michal Herman

Michal Herman

May 31, 2013
    Do you have pear or ebony fingerboard?
    If pear: How it wear out over time?

6. madbanjoman

madbanjoman

Feb 23, 2011
    Pittsburgh
    I have the pear. I have owned mine for about 1.5 years. I haven’t noticed any wear yet.

7. Another Palatino vote. I use mine for late night practice when the upright would be too intrusive, as well as gigging when taking the upright would be a poor choice.

8. I played one of the early Yamahas 20+ years ago.

Awful.

The Palatinos are worse.

Everyone who travels is looking for The Answer, right? I own one of Bill Merchant’s basses because it works for everything pizz. It’s still a compromise.

But whatever you do, no Palatinos.

misterbadger likes this.
  9. Sgroh87

Sgroh87

Dec 4, 2012
    DFW, Texas
    tonequixote likes this.
  10. madbanjoman

madbanjoman

Feb 23, 2011
    Pittsburgh
    C475410D-F48C-4C40-950E-57F5C1055FAE.jpeg
    Today I noticed the wear on my fingerboard
    In bright sunshine I was able to clearly see it.

11. DaveAceofBass

DaveAceofBass Supporting Member

Feb 20, 2004
    Charlotte, NC
    Knutson Messenger. I'm considering selling mine, it's a custom finish. It's a great bass, and the neck does feel very much like the real deal, which is one reason why I got it. I've tried lots of the other ones mentioned, Eminence is the only one close to real bass, but the construction is just okay.

BAE likes this.
  12. bherman

bherman Supporting Member

Apr 30, 2009
    Grand Junction, CO
    I have an Eminence that I've been using for about 5 months now and am very happy with it. Took a while to get the setup dialed in, but using it exclusively for gigs now and sounds great. Went with a full circle pickup and a we'broken set of Spiro Weichs. Easy to carry, loud enough for home practice without amp.

13. Another vote for the Eminence removable neck version. Very portable, and very upright sounding.