Looking for Extremely Cheap Practice Amp

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Epidemik, Dec 28, 2007.

1. Epidemik

Epidemik

Dec 27, 2007
    For xmas, i got a Marshal MG10CD but thats for guitar. Im looking for a good cheap practice bass amp under 85 USD.

The ones i was considering:
    (In order of my liking, though im not very knowledgeable)
    http://www.zzounds.com/item--CRABT15
    http://www.zzounds.com/item--BEHBX108
    http://www.zzounds.com/item--BEHBT108
    http://www.zzounds.com/item--IBAIBZ10B
    http://www.zzounds.com/item--PEVMAX126

Is zzounds a good place for getting equipment?. Anyone have experience with them or can recommend a different good retailer?

2. i just ordered a 210 cab from zzounds, everything seems to be going well, ill let you know if they ship me some kind of dead animal instead of what i ordered

3. bluevoodoo

bluevoodoo

Dec 15, 2007
    minneapolis
    I have had alot of experience working with salesmen to get the right amp for the right price. If you go to gc or any other music store for that manner, find the guy that looks the most experienced in playing music while still young. Your goal is to make the salesmen fight for the sale (they will especially when on comission). Tell them what type of amp your looking for.. you want to act interested, but not to quite to the point where you would say im going to buy this. Tell them your situation. If your looking for something cheap, say I want to get the best amp I can.. but I dont know if I have the money. If you have your eye on what amp you want you can usually get the sales person to take a chunk off the retail price. I just purchased a SVT 410he listed for $599 and did the above techniques and got the sale down to $530. If your strapped for cash definately go used. Usually you find the small practice amps in pawn shops and ebay rather than gc. You have alot more options than you may think. Good Luck!

4. Hawaii Islander

Hawaii Islander Supporting Member

Aug 11, 2007
    Rio Rico, AZ
    I purchased over $5000.00 worth of gear from Zzounds.com over the past five years. I've never had a problem with them. The only hassle is their limited selection of bass gear.

They just started a new program where you can make 4 equal payments with zero interest. They simply bill your credit/debit card in four equal installments. I think the shipping charges come out of the initial credit card payment. At least thats how AMS does it.

I would go with the Crate. Or, I would use the Marshall guitar combo for bedroom practice until I could afford a bigger amp. None of the amps that you selected would do too much good in a band jam/practice setting.

5. Epidemik

Epidemik

Dec 27, 2007
    Thanks for all the info.
    Yeah this would be simply for practice in my room.
    Im not really worried about it being too loud because my parents complain about loud music n such.

6. Evan Ciambrone

Evan Ciambrone

Nov 22, 2006
    Hey, i have had some great experience with Zzounds, and yes they have a limited selection, but are much more professional and reliable than others like musicians friend or the dreaded guitar center.

7. music123.com however is a totally different story

I ordered a fender shirt or something from them.. payment went through.. something like 30 dollars, and everything seemed well. I did not receive a shirt... I received a 1300 dollar Cello hehehe..... I called them up and they seem to think that they successfully shipped me my shirt... I did not find it necessary to inform them of their shipping mistake... ;)

8. And you're proud of this? :rollno:

9. JimmyM

JimmyM

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Endorsing: Yamaha, Ampeg, Line 6, EMG
    Zzounds is a very good company. Easy to deal with, fulfills orders in a timely manner, etc.

Out of all those, the only one I would consider is the Crate. I notice how the other companies don't publish the signal-to-noise ratio or their frequency response, and the Crate does. Neither is especially great with the Crate, but I'd bet money that the other amps don't even come close to those specs, especially the Behringer stuff.

10. Crate seems to be the best of the bunch.

11. bifbugie56

bifbugie56

Feb 25, 2006
    I have the behringer bx108. Lightweight, has in/out rca jacks for cd or drum machine,
    and phones to go quiet. Great for practice/ or monitor. I've used mine for acoustic
    rehersals mostly. Retro style is pretty portable. I don't use it much right now, as I
    mostly use phones through pod/xt. Not powerful enough for band use unless you go
    unplugged.

12. I once ordered a cello there and all i got was this lousy t-shirt

13. levis76

levis76 Defender of the Low Ender

Apr 14, 2007
    Metro Detroit
    I have an SWR LA12 that I picked up used and cheap. It is
    60W and has a 12" woofer and a tweeter. It handles a low B pretty good, way better than a 10" would. It has an input for cd/drum machine and quiet phones out. I could let it go for $75 + shipping. If you want it, hit me with a PM and I'll get you my number so we can talk details.

Later

14. There you go. ^

15. JimmyM

JimmyM

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Endorsing: Yamaha, Ampeg, Line 6, EMG
    If he doesn't buy it, let me know and I might take it ;)

16. Jerry Ziarko

Jerry Ziarko Supporting Member

Feb 23, 2003
    Rochester, NY
    I would look for something used. Your dollar will go much farther. Find a used Peavey Basic 40 or something comparable, and you'll be glad you did.

17. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Aug 1, 2021