Looking for Graduate Programs

Discussion in 'Orchestral Auditions [DB]' started by CBFinet, Oct 8, 2005.

1. CBFinet

Nov 11, 2002
    Phoenix, AZ
    Hello everyone,
    I'm in the process of singling out schools I'll be auditioning at in the spring. Right now I'm finishing my senior year at Northern Arizona University where I've been a part of a classical performance program but have been very involved in teh jazz program and end up wroking five or six nights a week playing mostly jazz. I'm looking to find out more about schools that I would be able to get a master's degree in classical performance and still keep up with my jazz playing as well. So far I'm planning on auditionaing at Manhattan School of Music, SUNY Purchase, and New England Conservatory but I'm looking for some more suggestions and or feedback on these choices.

Also, I've looked at the audition requirements and I'll be playing the Bottesini concerto, Hindemith sonata, and the first three movements of the 2nd Bach suite plus three or four excerpts. If anyone has any feedback as far as choice of repertoire, it would be more than welcome.

Thanks in advance,
    Chris Finet
  2. Justin K-ski

Justin K-ski

May 13, 2005

A guide to grad schools with some good info (teachers, practice rooms etc) in the newest "double bassist" magazine. Check it out.
  3. Freddels

Freddels Musical Anarchist Supporting Member

Apr 7, 2005
    Sutton, MA
    There's also a lot of information about schools in the Oct 2005 issue of Downbeat.
  4. Jeremy Allen

Jeremy Allen Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Mar 18, 2002
    Bloomington, IN
    If you can get into Indiana University's graduate classical program, I promise you would have every opportunity to play as much jazz as you want on the side. There aren't nearly enough jazz bass majors here right now, and the classical program doesn't conflict with the jazz curriculum. In fact, if you were to audition here it might behoove you to mention the fact that you wanted to play jazz, and you could audition for the jazz department as well and possibly end up with some nice scholarship $$.

When I was a grad student at NEC (1999-2001), it seemed difficult to partake in both the classical and jazz programs at the same time; although I was trying to do it the other way around (majoring in jazz and hanging out in the classical program), I did know some classical percussionists who found some barriers to becoming active in the jazz ensembles (jazz majors getting the priority and such). However, the opportunities for gigging outside of school in Boston are pretty good (although the competition is stiff--a million student musicians low-balling each other to get gigs).

in New York, I was amazed at the number of great young jazz bassists running around who were actually pursuing classical degrees at Juilliard or MSM. I don't know that they were playing jazz in school, but they were certainly making the scene in the "real world."
  5. Pcocobass

Jun 16, 2005
    New York
    Hey man,

I agree with Johono. If you major classical, you'll have a lot less time to pursue jazz, at least academically.

I'm a jazz Master's student at Purchase right now, and it's a great program. We have Todd Coolman, Doug Weiss, and Kermit Driscoll teaching jazz bass, as well as guys like Jon Faddis, John Riley, Ralph Lalama, Steve Wilson, and many other great cats teaching here.

The problem is that if you're a classical major, I don't think you can get into an "official" jazz combo. But on the other hand, there's plenty of people to play with if you want to and it's not far from the City either. Also, I'm sure you can take jazz bass lessons on the side, even though it would be a lot of work. And don't forget the bread. For a New Yorker like me, you can't beat the price. The out of state tuition isn't bad either.

As far as the classical program, Tim Cobb if the head bass guy, and the overall program seems very strong to me as an outsider. The orchestra sounds great, as well as the classical bassists I've heard.

Hope this helps. Let me know if you want any more info about Purchase.

6. CBFinet

Nov 11, 2002
    Phoenix, AZ
    Thanks for the advice everyone. I'm going to go pick up the latest issues of double bassist and downbeat today. If anyone has any other advice or personal experiences with these schools or otheres for that matter, I'd really appreciate it.
  7. jazzbass72

Jun 26, 2003
    New York, NY
    Hey Chris,
    best of luck with the audition preparation! I am pretty sure they will offer you a full ride wherever you apply, and it will be fully deserved! ;)

Hope you've been doing well, I'll email you privately over the next few days.

take care,