1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

looking for new strings

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by SiReZ, Oct 25, 2009.

1. SiReZ

SiReZ

Jun 21, 2009
    i wanna get a new set of strings for my fender jazz but kinda stuck as of what brand and type to go with. i usually use D'addario but i wanna try some new ones. im looking for something that has a nice treble as much as it has low end. i was looking at rotosounds but dont know many ppl that use them? anybody have any recommendations?

2. DR's. Hi-Beams are my favorite of all the strings I use.

3. MattAT

MattAT

Jun 24, 2008
    Wheeling, IL
    rotosound all the way for long scales

4. mmbongo

mmbongo Five Time World Champion Supporting Member

Aug 5, 2009
    Carolinas
    DUNLOP.

5. JLP

JLP

Mar 15, 2008
    I just switched to Hi-Beams and they sound great.

6. Sadowsky blue label stainless steel. So far the best strings I've ever played, and that includes DR High Beams. Just my opinion, mind you.

7. DougD

DougD Bassman7654

Sep 19, 2002
    North Las Vegas NV
    I've been a DR user for years and loves me so High Beams:) But I just tried a set of Ken Smith Taper Cores and I like em a lot. I also like MTD Nickels for my 6 string.

8. What is the difference between the black label and the blue label strings?

9. For the most part, feel. The blacks are a little stiffer and, IMO, feel more like your traditional SS strings. The blues seem to have a little less tension and are a little easier on the finger tips. Both are hexcore and both have great B strings. I know I can bend the blues easier than the blacks but it's been so long since I played a set of black label string that I'll probably go back to them if I do. I loved them until Roger came out with his blue labels. Then I fell in love all over again.

10. Meatrus

Meatrus

Apr 5, 2009
    England
    Geddy Lee
    John Paul Jones
    Steve Harris
    Entwistle
    Jaco

I like em too ;)

11. rob4001va

rob4001va Supporting Member

Apr 1, 2007
    Northern VA
    uh...and Chris Squire.
    (OK, so he doesn't play a Jazz).

12. Neither does Harris mate ;) anyway on that list Harris uses signature flatwounds and I imagine Jaco and John Paul Jones weren't using their uber aggressive sounding steel strings.

Steel Rotos do have quite a nice grindy top but with plenty of depth behind them too, for Stells they have really low tension it would seem too. Bought a set of 110 Roto steels a while back and they were really loose for high gauge steels, steels aren't really my kinda thing for anyone I play for at the moment but I was impressed about how good they sounded when you dug in, the high end wasn't really glassy and harsh like alot of steels seem to get when you pick them.

I'd also recommend looking at Dunlops too, they're nickles have quite a nice bright bite to them so they're steels probably have loads of presence.

13. SiReZ

SiReZ

Jun 21, 2009
    i think ill be going to DR strings or some rotosounds, seeing as alot of bass players tones that i enjoy use them

14. Rotosound Swing Bass 66 Stainless Steel

15. SiReZ

SiReZ

Jun 21, 2009
    hey eddie how do the rotosounds work on the frets??eats them down or no??

16. Meatrus

Meatrus

Apr 5, 2009
    England
    I was talking about the make of strings not a jazz bass, I saw the OP say seems like not many people use them, not seems like not many people use them on a Jazz :smug:. Apologies for missing Squire, it wasnt a complete list, that would have been too much effort :).

I have Rotos on my Jazz, and have used them for around 2 years now, and I have not noticed any fretwear at all yet, having said that they are quite rough. The Rotos being bad on frets thing was mainly on vintage basses as they used to have softer frets. Modern frets can cope with them easily.

17. i like DR hi beams a lot!!

18. Rotosounds are pretty hard on the frets, and your fingers. Roughest feeling strings I've ever felt.

19. Craig_S

Craig_S Banned

Oct 15, 2008
    Metro Detroit
    yep :) Great strings and less expensive than DR.

20. thedrummer

thedrummer

Aug 5, 2009
    I've tried DR, Ernie Ball, Elixir, Blue Steel, SIT, and Dunop strings...but I always go back to Carvin (or Fender, they have a similar tone) strings. The Carvins produce a huge tone, especially on the low B. I believe they are made by Labella.