1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Looking to find (My Strings)

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by CaptainSir, May 19, 2011.

1. CaptainSir

CaptainSir

May 12, 2009
    Conyers, Ga
    i have played a few different types of strings on multiple different Basses
    currently i play at 3 different churchs and also with some jazz/blues/bluegrass bands
    when i am home i perfer to play crazy loop dubstep hard rock, just like to experiment have fun

i have settled in on the bass i am sticking with
    MusicMan Bongo HH 4 string
    great bass 4 string duel humbuckers 18Volt 4 band preamp

what strings should i try out?

what kind of bass do you play?
    what kind of strings do you use and why?

thanks
    Captain

2. warwick.hoy

warwick.hoy

Aug 20, 2006
    Spokane, WA.
    Beta Tester: Source Audio.
    Jazz/Blues/Bluegrass/Dubstep,...I'd go flats (I'd love to here how flats sound on a Bongo).

Hard Rock,...not so much but if you are rocking some fuzz you can likely get back some of your top end.

As I mentioned in the other thread. I think Flats will track better with Octavers and such (and may give you a great classic sound when pumping through Muffs and such).

3. - Stock Schecter 004 strung w/Ken Smith Metal Masters; ss rounds, 50-70-85-105. I LOVE these string on this bass, particularly as the strings age...there's this growl that just keeps getting better and better and better and...

- Modded Schecter Stiletto Extreme 4 strung w/Rotosound RS 77; monel flats, 45-65-85-105. I wanted a darker tone than the above setup, but not the classic warm flat thump of the generic flatwound; these have it...a nice mid-harmonic sitting on top of each note.

...what I want to play, gig-wise (as in; when I get one), is primarily blues w/some rock.

4. If you're going to look into flats, I'd vote for D'Addario Chromes. If you don't want flats, I'll suggest DR Lo-Riders- I had a set of Stainless Steel Lo-Riders on my P, and liked them. If I try Lo-Riders again, I'll probably go Nickel, because I prefer Nickel in general.

+1 to flats on that Bongo. I bet that would be cool!

5. REAPER52

REAPER52

Aug 17, 2008
    FL-Central
    Fender Jazz Std Fretless with T I flats. I think they are good for just about any style or type of music . EQ'ed through the head you can get alot of different sounds . and they last Forever.

6. CaptainSir

CaptainSir

May 12, 2009
    Conyers, Ga
    i have been looking into the Chromes i just didnt know all the sizes they had a lot of there strings seemed "light"

i have read a lot of people talking about TI what are they what is T I?

7. darkstorm

darkstorm

Oct 13, 2009
    You state youve tried several brands of strings but say nothing about what you did or didnt like about each. Nor do you list what strings youve allready tried. So, Id suggest you go buy: various offerings by: DR, Rotosound, GHS, Ernie Ball, Dean Markley, Fender, Daddario. And see which of these you like best and why.

Myself my fave strings are Rotosund swing66 and DR neons. Fave basses use soapbar pups and have 2-3 band active eq preamp with pups oriented to crunchy rather then smooth voice char.

8. tjh

tjh Supporting Member

Mar 22, 2006
    Minnesota
    i have read a lot of people talking about TI what are they what is T I?[/QUOTE]

Thomastik-Infield ... the brand name