Looks like a good deal?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by chandman1004, Aug 20, 2018.

1. chandman1004

chandman1004

Jun 28, 2008
  2. Only a good deal if it will do the job it needs to do.
    If it won't be enough in the gigging situation then even free won't be much of a bargain.

You should evaluate, or have your Nephew evaluate his needs to see if this is what will work for him.

3. chandman1004

chandman1004

Jun 28, 2008
    Believe me, I know what he needs... at least 200 watts, 1 x 15 , or 2 x 10. The ad states this is a 220 watt 1 x 15, should be plenty with PA support. What I am asking is , has anyone had any experience with this model? Typically, something with 200 watts in a combo is more like 399$ or up. 249 $ seems maybe like a closeout price, or there is a flaw causing a discount. So , let me rephrase...
    Anyone have a Ashdown Big Boy 220 watt 1x 15 combo? Is there any reason that I should not consider this a good deal?

4. abarson

abarson

Nov 6, 2003
    Santa Cruz
    Ashdown website shows this combo and associated AAA line as discontinued. That would explain the discounted price. I don't see any online reviews of this combo, and don't have any personal experience. Good luck!

5. squarewave

squarewave Supporting Member

Jun 16, 2004
    Iowa City, Iowa USA
    It looks like good power and feature set for $250. A used Rumble 200 might also be a good choice.

jamro217 likes this.
  6. Bodeanly

Bodeanly

Mar 20, 2015
    Chicago
    In this day and age, anything with little to no online user reviews (on top of being discontinued) will receive no further attention from me or my pocketbook. If it were me, I would shop used.

7. Not me! Can't say.

8. I have a used Rumble 200. If someone were to ask about that I could comment all day long.

Makes me wonder though, just to myself...
    What's the difference between the new Ashdown and a used Rumble 200 which is pretty much the Ashdown equal in "rated power" and speaker size, that would cause the used Rumble to go for $100 more than the new Ash.
    Oh! Did I say that out loud?:smug:

squarewave likes this.
  9. squarewave

squarewave Supporting Member

Jun 16, 2004
    Iowa City, Iowa USA
    Careful what you say. @Linnin and the Rumble Buddies (tm) will be along soon to advocate for the Rumble. I suspect the Ashdown was a poor seller, and now it can be had for a low cost on close-out. I haven't used the Ashdown, so I'd probably take a used Rumble if I had to choose, because I know that would work well.

10. chandman1004

chandman1004

Jun 28, 2008
    More or less what I was thinking. I guess I was hoping for someone to pipe in " I have one, It's great" . A Rumble is also on the list, just hard to find a used one that someone is willing to ship at a decent price.

11. No problem. He and I throw rocks at each other from time to time.
    We both have the same amp, Rumble 200 combo.
    That makes him like a brother.
    And you know how it can be with brothers? ;)

"MOM! He's lookin' at me again."

12. Linnin

Linnin

Jul 19, 2012
    Linningrad, Earth
    Just buy a new one. In fact buy several. That's what we do over at the Fender Rumble Club.

Bodeanly, Steadfast and Bass Man Dan like this.
  13. Bass Man Dan

Bass Man Dan Endorsing Artist: Ned Flanders' Bass-a-Reeno

Oct 20, 2017
    Cincinnati
    I'm telling you, Craigslist is the place to look. Got a really nice GK MB115 for $250 not long ago. Got to play through it and not worry about it getting damaged in transit.

Funny side note, looks like MF and GC are posting the Ashdown combo at 7.5 kg, which is like 16 pounds...must be for the head version.

It actually weighs about 43 pounds. There is one on Reverb new for $249 or best offer with free 2 day shipping.

Last edited: Aug 20, 2018
  14. Unfortunately, shipping prices aren’t up to the seller.
    It seems to me also, the Rumble 200 C has been getting a prettier penny on the used market than it did a couple of years ago when I got mine. For as many of these things that are out there, you think it would have reached glut proportions and driven down the price. Must be a reason for all the love.
    (P.S. I just love to work the word, glut in whenever I can.) :smug:

mikewalker likes this.
  15. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jun 14, 2021