Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

loose bass bar AND change in volume?!

Discussion in 'Setup & Repair [DB]' started by ackeim, Jun 27, 2004.

1. ackeim

ackeim

Nov 10, 2003
    Boulder, CO
    I play a 3 year old englehardt. last week i noticed an increase in the volume of the bass, especially in the low register. my wife and my band mates also noticed it. about the same time, i heard a buzzing on my open D string that signaled something was loose. i was convinced it was my pickup or tail piece, but last night we discovered it was my bass bar! i can reach in the F hole and stop the buzzing. it is vibrating so much that you can feel the air it pushes by putting your hand in fron t of the f-hole. here is the question. is it possible that a loose bass bar would cause this increase in volume? if so, should i bother fixing it? this bass really honks for the first time and i am enjoying it. can a luthier clamp a bass bar from the f hole or does the top have to come off? i plan on buying a new bass in the next year so i am not super excited about putting more money into this one.

2. The odds are highly against you being able to stop a loose bass bar rattling by putting you hand through the ff holes. Bass bars usually come loose at the ends which are far beyond you finger reach. IMO, a loose bar would not ceate an incease in sound - more likely a decrease. Unfortunately, buzzes and rattles in basses frequently can be stopped by pressing on places that have nothing to do with the real location of the problem. I would recommend a trip to your local bass luthier for a diagnosis and fix.