Love at First Sight

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by MikeyFingers, Dec 4, 2005.

1. Last night I was out with a few friends. We ended up at a bar where a bunch of other friends were hanging out. I started talking to a girl who was apparently a huge fan of classic rock and a friend of a friend of mine. So after a few drunken sing-alongs with Queen blasting out of the jukebox (Killer Queen, Somebody to Love, and of course, Bohemian Rhapsody) I found out that she not only had a beautiful singing voice, but also great pitch and awesome taste in music, AND she can hold her liquor!! More then that, we had a LOT in common on a more personal level. We kept talking and by the end of the night I felt like I'd known her for years.
    The night ended with us freezing our asses off in a parking lot with 4 other mutual friends, singing along with Pink Floyd blasting from my car.
    After getting her number and making plans for the weekend, in an almost perfect end to the night, it started snowing just as Wish You Were Here was starting up. First snow of the year, just when we're about to part ways, listening to WISH YOU WERE HERE. I suddenly wasn't cold anymore.
    This Saturday night, she'll be singing backup with a Billy Joel tribute band called Big Shot. I'll definately be there, and hopefully we'll be spending a lot more time together.
    Anyone else go completely stupid-crazy for a girl after only meeting them once or twice? Should I be more cautious? This seems too good to be true but I'm crazy about her. I don't wanna get my hopes up only to find out she's just a really friendly lesbian.
  2. Gard

Gard Commercial User

Mar 31, 2000
    Greensboro, NC, USA
    General Manager, Roscoe Guitars
    Mike it's entirely possible, but do be cautious.

I knew within 5 minutes of meeting her, that I'd be marrying my now ex-wife (we were together for over 13 years - and I still miss her terribly). I can still see her face, know EXACTLY what she was wearing, how her hair was styled, what day and time it was (this was in 1990!), that is a moment burned into my mind.

However, unless you take your time, it could all blow up in your face - and once you get there (if that happens at all), remember that it takes 150% of your effort every day, or you can lose the best thing that ever happened to you as easily as you found it.

...sorry, I do get a bit overly talkative on this subject, don't I?

3. dharma

dharma Srubby wubbly

Oct 14, 2005
    Monroe, Louisiana
    I fell for my girlfriend in one evening. And at the beginning of it, I told myself I didn't like her attitude... how she carried herself, so to speak.

Been with her for going on 2 years.
  4. cheezewiz

Mar 27, 2002
    Yeah, but you don't know for sure until you see her girlie-goodies. ;)
  5. Cheeze is right. Let Eddie Murphy be your guide on this one.

There is nothing worse than finding out your girlfriend has a bigger johnson than you do.

6. Yeah....I'm pretty sure she's not a guy. Nobody with a johnson can hit those high-notes in "Somebody to Love".
  7. Bard2dbone

Aug 4, 2002
    Arlington TX
    Is this the voice of experience speaking? :eyebrow:

I have had two 'love at first sight' experiences.

The first one was one of the all too many apparently insane women I have spent time with. She was gorgeous. She was very musically capable(keys and vocals) and she liked the same kinds of music that I did. The sex was incredible. She could even cook.
    But she was a rapid cycling manic depressive who didn't like to take her meds. I lasted four months before I started worrying she would knife me in my sleep.

The other is my wife. She picked me out of a crowd/ We've been together 13 years so far and I tell her repeatedly that she is stuck with me. She doesn't seem to mind. I'm a lucky guy.
  8. Don't_Fret

Don't_Fret Justin Schornstein

Dec 10, 2003
    East Coast, US
    Agreed 100%, Gard. :)

I'm in a similar situation right now, Mikeyfingers. It's important not to get too worked up. Take it easy, try to get your mind off of her.
  9. Bard2dbone

Aug 4, 2002
    Arlington TX
    And remember that in a few short months you could be wondering which night she was going to flip out and stab you while you're asleep.

A great clue to how wierd she was getting toward the end: We were in a restaurant. I had just ordered my entree. The waiter said "And will you be having soup, or salad?" I answered "Salad, please." At which time she shrieked "Bastard! You're all alike aren't you!" , got up and left.
  10. dharma

dharma Srubby wubbly

Oct 14, 2005
    Monroe, Louisiana
    Bard, are you quoting a comedian?

If not, I feel your pain. My girlfriend is a bipolar II, meaning slow cycles, mostly deeper and deeper instead of high and then low.
  11. My ex had that too! ***? Everyone in here has had a crazy girlfriend. My ex was also a recovering bulemic (spelled that wrong). So on top of the random mood swings, I had to worry about her getting depressed and vomiting herself to death. I really hope this new girl isn't crazy.
  12. Alla

Sep 25, 2000
    Hey Mikey
    are you sure she doesn't already have a boyfriend?
    Good luck ... and remember the power of romanticism ..
    (i mean ... don't have sex the second night!)
  13. MJ5150

MJ5150 Terrific Twister

Apr 12, 2001
    Lacey, WA
    Don't blow it. This is typically where dudes screw up. She's probably thinking, "Wow, what a nice guy". You're thinking "I might be in love. Maybe we should get married". :D

If you come on too strong the next time you see her, game over. Yes, I speak from experience. :(

14. Hahaha, those last 2 made me laugh. But I know the importance of taking it slow. I prefer it that way actually. I don't want to rush into anything, I hate getting into a potentially serious relationship without REALLY knowing the girl first.
    I've only met her once. The first impression was GREAT, but I still know relatively little about her. That's what this next "date" is for. I wanna really get to know her and....(choke)...TALK with her:help:. Like I said, we only met for the first time yesterday, so I'm not gonna see her on Saturday and be all like "Hey baby, let's FU**!!". But it sucks, cause like you said MJ5150, me and her are probably thinking very different things about each other.
    All I can do is wait and see what happens, and try to gauge her feelings accurately enough so I don't make an ass of myself.
    I know I just met her yesterday, but it feels like it's been forever. I hate that feeling almost as much as I love it (if you know what I mean).
  15. kjones

kjones Supporting Member

Dec 4, 2004
    Everybody's right, you can't push it too fast, but I've also lost dating opportunities because I didn't let the woman know I was interested in her in that way. There is a too fast, but there's also a too slow. I would strongly suggest you consider calling her mid-week, keep it light, look forward to seeing your band this weekend kind of thing.

Also, a prize like this doesn't have a boyfriend? To quote John Mayer and Herbie Hancock, "Girls like that don't sleep alone."
  16. Class!
  17. Gard

Gard Commercial User

Mar 31, 2000
    Greensboro, NC, USA
    General Manager, Roscoe Guitars
    Well, as I've re-entered the dating "game", one of the things I've made a RULE is that I'm completely straight-forward with whoever I'm dating: If I'm interested, I don't beat around the bush, I tell her; same if I'm not. Any woman that can't deal with direct honesty isn't worth the 2nd date. It's not "fail-safe", but I think it's the sensible attitude.

Bottom line: I won't play "the game", and if they don't like it, they can take their marbles and find someone else to play it with.

I have had one recent "issue" with a woman that couldn't just tell me she wasn't interested. She continued to actually tell me she WAS for some STOOPID reason, and it really messed with me. In the end, I figured it out and just walked away. Anyone that doesn't have the spine to be honest isn't worth my time, or anyone else's.

There's another one: "No matter how hot or cool she is, if she's single, someone somewhere is tired of putting up with her $h!t!!"

18. Fo' Shizzle

Fo' Shizzle

Aug 28, 2003
    I fell for my wife in one night. 15 years and counting.....

MAJOR METAL HARVESTER OF SORROW Staff Member Supporting Member

Sounds like an awesome Saturday night , i am happy for you. :)
  20. Just remember that there are plenty of potential "soulmates" out there. It's easy to brain wash yourself into thinking that "this is the one" "the only person I could ever love".

It's great to have common intrests and knowlegde with someone, that leads to a feeling of conection. Keep in mind that one person could not possibly fulfill all of your needs, and sometimes getting caught up in the soulmate thing could cloud your mind.

That being said, I think its great that you found someone that you have a real connection with. Just take it slow and see were it leeds. If it really happens,wait awhile (about a year :D ) to tell her that you loved her from day one. If you pledge your undieing love to early, you run the risk that she will become bored, not find it challanging, get scared, or think you are psyco!!! Best to leave a little mystery.

Hey I knew I'd marry my wife about 5 seconds after I met her. We had nothing in common, don't like the same music or movies or books. She lived in Toronto, me in Fl. but we were very well suited for each other. I slowly let her know that I loved her, but didn't reveal the true depth of it untill I was ready to propose to her. Luckly she felt the same way, so I popped the question.

So good luck, don't get too over stimulated, and let things play out. She might be the love of your life, or you may want to go run and hide after the 1st date.