1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Love is...

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by SundanceChile, Mar 20, 2006.

1. A group of professional people posed this question to a group of 4 to 8 year-olds, "What does love mean?"
    The answers they got were broader and deeper than anyone could have imagined. See what you think:

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    "When my grandmother got arthritis, she couldn't bend over and paint her toenails anymore.
    So my grandfather does it for her all the time, even when his hands got arthritis too. That's love."

Rebecca- age 8
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    "When someone loves you, the way they say your name is different.
    You just know that your name is safe in their mouth."

Billy - age 4
    "Love is when a girl puts on perfume and a boy puts on shaving cologne and they go out and smell each other."

Karl - age 5
    "Love is when you go out to eat and give somebody most of your French fries without making them give you any of theirs."

Chrissy - age 6
    "Love is what makes you smile when you're tired."

Terri - age 4
    "Love is when my mommy makes coffee for my daddy and she takes a sip before giving it to him, to make sure the taste is OK."

Danny - age 7
    "Love is when you kiss all the time. Then when you get tired of kissing, you still want to be together and you talk more.
    My Mommy and Daddy are like that. They look gross when they kiss"

Emily - age 8
    "Love is what's in the room with you at Christmas if you stop opening presents and listen."

Bobby - age 7 (Wow!)
    "If you want to learn to love better, you should start with a friend who you hate,"

Nikka - age 6
    (we need a few million more Nikka's on this planet)
    "Love is when you tell a guy you like his shirt, then he wears it everyday."

Noelle - age 7
    "Love is like a little old woman and a little old man who are still friends even after they know each other so well."

Tommy - age 6
    "During my piano recital, I was on a stage and I was scared. I looked at all the people watching me and saw my daddy waving and smiling.
    He was the only one doing that. I wasn't scared any more"

Cindy - age 8
    "My mommy loves me more than anybody
    You don't see anyone else kissing me to sleep at night."

Clare - age 6
    "Love is when Mommy gives Daddy the best piece of chicken."

Elaine-age 5
    "Love is when Mommy sees Daddy smelly and sweaty and still says he is handsomer than Robert Redford."

Chris - age 7
    "Love is when your puppy licks your face even after you left him alone all day.

Mary Ann - age 4
    "I know my older sister loves me because she gives me all her old clothes and has to go out and buy new ones."

Lauren - age 4
    "When you love somebody, your eyelashes go up and down and little stars come out of you." (what an image)

Karen - age 7
    "You really shouldn't say 'I love you' unless you mean it. But if you mean it, you should say it a lot. People forget."

Jessica - age 8
    And the final one -- Author and lecturer Leo Buscaglia once talked about a contest he was asked to judge.
    The purpose of the contest was to find the most caring child.
    The winner was a four year old child whose next door neighbor was an elderly gentleman who had recently lost his wife.
    Upon seeing the man cry, the little boy went into the old gentleman's yard, climbed onto his lap, and just sat there.
    When his Mother asked what he had said to the neighbor, the little boy said, "Nothing, I just helped him cry"

So fellow TB'rs, what is love to you?

2. Man, after what happened to me back in January, this is really hard to post to.

Love is, well, it just IS. You can't define it. It takes on so many forms and faces. It distorts how you see things, how you feel things. It changes the world, yet leaves no mark. It's something that can create incredible joy, or immense pain. It can make you do things you would never do. It can also keep you from doing things you would possibly do.

Or something like that. Now if you would excuse me, I need to go cry for a while.

Rock on
    Eric

3. ... comforting my daughter while she vomits all over me and not thinking twice about it...until my brother-in-law declares that this is probably one of the most disgusting things he has witnessed. There's a larger moral here somewhere.

Mike

4. kserg

kserg

Feb 20, 2004
    San Jose, CA
    What is love
    Oh baby, don't hurt me
    Don't hurt me no more
    Oh, baby don't hurt me
    Don't hurt me no more

What is love
    Yeah

Oh, I don't know why you're not there
    I give you my love, but you don't care
    So what is right and what is wrong
    Gimme a sign

What is love
    Oh baby, don't hurt me
    Don't hurt me no more
    What is love
    Oh baby, don't hurt me
    Don't hurt me no more

Whoa whoa whoa, oooh oooh

Oh, I don't know, what can I do
    What else can I say, it's up to you
    I know we're one, just me and you
    I can't go on

What is love
    Oh baby, don't hurt me
    Don't hurt me no more
    What is love
    Oh baby, don't hurt me
    Don't hurt me no more

What is love, oooh, oooh, oooh
    What is love, oooh, oooh, oooh

What is love
    Oh baby, don't hurt me
    Don't hurt me no more

Don't hurt me
    Don't hurt me

I want no other, no other lover
    This is your life, our time
    When we are together, I need you forever
    Is it love

What is love
    Oh baby, don't hurt me
    Don't hurt me no more
    What is love
    Oh baby, don't hurt me
    Don't hurt me no more (oooh, oooh)

What is love
    Oh baby, don't hurt me
    Don't hurt me no more
    What is love
    Oh baby, don't hurt me
    Don't hurt me no more (oooh, oooh)

What is love?

5. burgerme

burgerme

Mar 3, 2006
    ...not cheap...:bawl:

6. Jimbo

Jimbo

Dec 4, 2000
    Philadelphia, PA
    like candy on a shell

-jimbo

7. Once, when(I think)I had food poisoning, I crapped my at-the-time-girlfriend-now-wife's bed.:eek: Twice, actually.:eek: :eek: She cleaned me up both times & has never attempted to get even. If that's not love it's some serious tolerance...

8. Akami

Akami Four on the floor

Mar 6, 2005
    日本/Alyeska
    That's definitely above and beyond the call of duty!!:eek:

9. kserg

kserg

Feb 20, 2004
    San Jose, CA
    It's interesting to me that when people think "love" it’s usually "partner" relationship. Girlfriend/boyfriend, Wife/husband, Mom/Dad, and other ones I didn’t list. Not many talk about love between friends and family first. When ever someone asks “what does love mean to you” it’s first single relationship and only after someone might say “well I love my friends, family, my life or even Art (music)”. (PS I usually think of loved pets as family).

Really, to me love is simply someone or something that I care about. Someone could be anyone that you care about while something could be anything from art and how beauty makes you feel to loving making total strangers feel better with something as simple as a smile.

I think we use word “love” in so many cases and never realize how much we mean it.

In a way I really liked Mike’s explanation of "Love".

Cheers

10. That kid is four years old?!?!?

I think the kids said it way better than I ever could.

11. I think the best one was the one about the old man with arthritis painting his wifes toenails because she had arthritis. That one was like, bam, romantic and tough!

12. tplyons

tplyons

Apr 6, 2003
    Madison, NJ
    Love is like a box of chocolates: sometimes its sweet, other times it makes you choke.

13. Love is like a rock.

Oh, Donnie Iris, you've taught us so much.

14. Basshole

Basshole Banned

Jan 28, 2005
    Eric, I don't know what happened to you in January, but you're not alone. It made me cry too...and I'm a 160 lb 45 year old man who fancies himself quite the hardass. It just seems the older I get, the more I lose it...

:crying:

15. My long time girlfriend and fiancee broke up with me. We'd been dating several years. It hurts a LOT.

Rock on
    Eric

16. Joe Nerve

Joe Nerve Supporting Member

Oct 7, 2000
    New York City
    Endorsing artist: Musicman basses
    That was awesome, glad you posted it. If someone sent it to me as spam I'd have deleted it. :) My favorite is definitley:

Bobby - age 7 (Wow!)
    "If you want to learn to love better, you should start with a friend who you hate."

It's real easy to love the people you like, the people who are close to you. I think the real challenge is in loving the people you abhor. When people start practicing that is when I think the world is going to see a real shift in consciousness.

17. Kronos

Kronos

Dec 28, 2005
    Philadelphia, PA
    I'm with you, Eric. It's been a bit more than 2 years since my fiancee cheated on me and left me for more money.

We were together for 3 years, and I knew her for 6 more before we dated. I'm still going through some stuff. But, I've come out knowing that I'm better off, and I now have total control of my life.

If there's anything I can do to help, even if it's someone to talk to, I'm here, dude.

18. Fo' Shizzle

Fo' Shizzle

Aug 28, 2003
    You know what is great about this thread? As I sit here mulling over that question (What is love?), I'm thinking of all the people I've loved over the years. And those that have loved me.

One image popped into my head...... When I was a little kid Dad had an old Chevy pickup. I sat next to him. My little brother next to me. My Mom on the far right. One day, coming home from church, Dad stopped quickly. As he did, the threw his right arm across the entire family to keep us from hitting the dash (the old-timers in the group will remember this move. This was in the days before seatbelt use and airbags). In doing so, he whacked me in the nose. When I asked him why he did that, he just said," Because I love you and didn't want you to get hurt."

Great, great thread........... best I've seen in a long time.

Peace and love to you all,
    Fo

19. Well, I'm managing. It's not nice to know that other people have gone through what I have, but it's at least a comfort that I'm no alone.

But to be honest, I kinda thought things were going badly anyway. So in a way, it's a relief to have the worry and anxiety over. I wish we could have worked it out, but I guess you don't get everything you wish for.

There is another girl at school, however, that has been making eyes at me for some time. She's a very smart, attractive woman, and after the beginning of the term I might try and ask her out. Not anything serious, just a kinda casual date. Maybe something will come of it, maybe not.

Rock on
    Eric

20. "Love is when a girl puts on perfume and a boy puts on shaving cologne and they go out and smell each other."

That one made me laugh. But really though, those are some sweet and funny answers.