1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Love that flatwound sound...

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by bassmasta76, Mar 17, 2010.

1. bassmasta76

bassmasta76

Mar 1, 2010
    So my counterpart in crime at work convinced me to try out flatwound strings. After much hemming and hawing about doing so, I decided to give them a whirl. I ordered some GHS flats... .45 - .105 and put them on over the weekend. As it turns out, I did this none too soon as when I tried to remove the E string, it snapped off at the tuning peg... so regardless of which type, I guess it needed doing.

Anyway, I've had the flats on for 4 days now and I love em. The fat, warm tone is awesome and they feel like butter. I've never used anything but roundwounds before but I really like them.

For anyone who hasnt tried them, I highly recommend them.

--b

2. JoZac21

JoZac21

Nov 30, 2009
    Brooklyn, NY
    Honestly. I'm one of a rare breed in that I keep trying to get into playing roundwounds, but I haven't found a set that "does it" for me like a set of flats does... weird... :eyebrow:

Anyways... welcome to the world of flats!

3. snyderz

snyderz

Aug 20, 2000
    AZ mountains
    Precisions or Brites?

4. bassmasta76

bassmasta76

Mar 1, 2010
    I got the Precision strings...catalog part M3050...

5. sublimestylee

sublimestylee

Aug 26, 2007
    Seattle, Wa
    I'm a firm supporter of flats. I got some on my jazz, and i just recently bought a p bass this weekend and strung it with flats last night! The tone is amazing when they are on a p bass :bassist:

6. Bassman822

Bassman822

Sep 1, 2007
    Bessemer, AL
    I've got Daddario chromes on my G&L L2K and mim pbass, TI jazzflats on my p/j fretless. Love 'em

7. king_biscuit

king_biscuit Supporting Member

May 21, 2006
    US
    GHS Precision flats are currently my favorite flats.

8. mongo2

mongo2

Feb 17, 2008
    Da Shaw
    I'm all flats, all the time.

9. BassEyeDoc

BassEyeDoc

Dec 25, 2009
    +1 on the flats.

JW

10. 60's Bluesman

60's Bluesman

Feb 7, 2010
    Michigan
    flats are the way to go man, glad you joined the world of flats arent ya lol

11. I use D'addairo "half rounds" on my P-bass. I have never tried Flats. I like the sustain and feel of the half round but have been thinking I might like to go over to flats. I read a review of some Infeld flatwounds and was thinking of starting with a set of those. I've been using D'addairo for many years and like their strings too. Any thoughts? Would I lose the sustain I currently have (and like)? I guess some are stainless vs. nickel. Any advice for a someone "on the fence"...

I play classic rock, surf and dead in a couple different bands. I use a G&K Fusion 550 or a 67 Fender Showman head. a 4X10 cab.

12. treekiller

treekiller

Mar 4, 2010
    Iowa
    Interesting, I'm using that combination except I have a 550 Fusion with a 4-12 NEO cab. How is your P equipped(neck, p-ups, etc.)?
    I just recently switched to the 1/2 rounds after trying different roundwounds and having trouble with string noise, etc.(I have short fingers). I wasn't quite ready to make the leap into the world of flats, let me know how it works out for you.

13. Just put Chromes on my Btb1005. Took off the rounds and man I'm sold on flats! I move around alot and love how they don't saw your fingers up like rounds.

14. Bassman316

Bassman316

May 27, 2008
    Longs, SC
    I had Chromes on my SX P-bass for about a year. About three months ago I took them off and put on D'Addario XL roundwounds. Although the rounds are nice, as soon as I get a chance, methinks I'm gonna slap another set of flats on it. The tone with the flats was ridiculous...

15. The D'addario Chromes are what you are looking for. They are a great "crossover" string without being too pricey.

16. rutty24

rutty24

May 20, 2007
    biggleswade
    flatwound strings - putting the bass in the bass. i'm currently playing rotosound 77's the higher tension took a short while to get used too. but now.... wow what a tone. my all my band have commented on how i've always had a good tone but i got asked at rehearsal what i'd changed to have such an awesome tone because they were mainly listening to me.... (not sure about that one lol the lead guitarist is defonately a ..... guitarist.) the drummer sure does love them though :) and at gigs get good comments about the bass in the songs. never really got that when i was playing roundwounds... coincidence? i think not :)

17. makkE

makkE

Jan 19, 2010
    Normandie, France
    Exactly!!! I think the reason why you get good comments by listeners is, that you actually sound like bass, and they can clearly make it out :D
    Flats put you in the sonic space below the guitars - where it has to be in my opinion - not battling with the guitars about sonic space anymore.. :)

I will probaly never go back to rounds, unless I get really obsessed with slapping sometime - wich I doubt will happen :p

18. markjazzbassist

markjazzbassist Supporting Member

Apr 19, 2005
    Lakewood, OH
    big flats lover here. labella 760FS for me.

19. J. Crawford

J. Crawford Supporting Member

Feb 15, 2008
    PA
    All flats, all the time. Im loving Chromes right now, but I havent explored much. I feel safe right now. :D

20. paganjack

paganjack

Dec 25, 2007
    Los Angeles, CA
    This is why I love flats as well. I still keep one bass with rounds around for slapping or just a bright tone in general. However, most of the time, I like my bass to sound like a BASS guitar, not a bass GUITAR. That's kind of the sonic difference to me, anyway.

21. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Nov 25, 2020