Low End True-Voice preamp ordered!

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by kringle77, Apr 4, 2005.

1. kringle77

kringle77 Supporting Member

Jul 30, 2004
    Massena NY
    Do any of you guys own one of these or have any experience with one? I just ordered one along with a second tube.(different gain characteristics) I was wondering if it had enough low end without an additional eq, to play with a band. Also, does it have enough treble to cut through a band. I plan on using it with my Billy sheehan attitude bass which is passive but very hot. My main rig is an Aguilar Ag500 with a pair of Avatar 2x10's and if I need it I have an Ampeg 8x10. I plan on just using the true voice at home as part of a second rig for practice and keep my aggie rig locked up in my vehicle for gigs. I hate loading and unloading when you play out twice a week! Any advice or opinions would be great.
  2. Joe Beets

Joe Beets Guest

Nov 21, 2004
    I wish I could afford one of those. I think I will have to go with the SIB Fatdrive. But the GAS won't go away. Please keep us updated on how it works out.
  3. bassmonkeee

bassmonkeee Supporting Member

Sep 13, 2000
    Decatur, GA
    Heh--aren't those the kinds of questions you ask BEFORE you order a new preamp? :D

I'm sure it'll sound great when you get it. I'm looking forward to a review.

As for advice: Don't leave gear locked up in your vehicle. It's a sure way to be relieved of said gear.
  4. jobu3

jobu3 Artist formerly known as Big Joe

Feb 17, 2002
    Mountain Top, PA
    You'll learn the importance of RH and LH technique and I'm sure you'll have enough bottom with the right cab(s)/power section (i.e. typically NOT Avatar 210's).

I'd love to try one out but I can't spare the dough or really have the need at the moment... :bawl: Brian, any free trials btw. friends? :p :help:
  5. jokerjkny

Jan 19, 2002
    NY / NJ / PA
    was right about to post something, and glad someone did. :)

quite interested in something with the 6SL7 tube. but the "second tube" version has two 6SL7 tubes?

any more info on your pre? and is the front strong enough to withstand my active basses?
  6. kringle77

kringle77 Supporting Member

Jul 30, 2004
    Massena NY
    1) Thanks for the advice about leaving my gear in the vehicle but, I have a hard tonneau cover that locks on my truck. The only way to get in is to tear the bed off the truck....or maybe a crow bar. Anyway, I live in a small town where luckily, that stuff doesn't really happen.
    2) Im a grindy rock guy and don't really use a huge bottom end like alot of you lowenders.
    3) I love the idea of just plugging in and playing. I would get more practice time in at home without my aggie and pedals sitting in front of me.....Im a twiddler. :smug:
    4) I've been playing alot of gigs and wanted a shinny new toy.
    5) The aggie and avatars are my workhorses and my ampeg 8x10 actually sits home because it's so heavy. I would be playing the true voice through a power amp, into the ampeg. For band practice.
    6) I love the fact that it has a headphone out on it.
    Oh yeah guys, I have my avatars at the front of the stage with the P.A. speakers and use the onstage monitors to hear myself! I know this is backwords but, I get a much better sound out to the crowd. Also, my guitarist uses a pod (yuck) and my amp was creating on stage volume problems. Try it sometime. It really works. That was kind of my little secret weapon up until now.
  7. Akito

Dec 1, 2003
    The true voice sounds great when I am at the Low End plugging all those Benaventes and Ritters and LEJs etc, etc into it. Maybe it's the company it keeps?
  8. It've been using the true voice preamp with an AI slave amp on numerous gigs now and am thrilled with its performance.
    I really prefer the "plug and play" simplicity and adjust any desired tone shaping through my on board preamp.

I am looking really forward getting the rack version :hyper: :
  9. natrab

Dec 9, 2003
    Bay Area, CA
    Jorg, is that the final version of the rack pre? Am I not seeing it right or is the tube sticking out the front of the unit?

I have one of these on order and I think having the tube exposed like that poses a bit of a risk.
  10. Yes, the tube is sticking out but that should be fine as long as you have an appropriate protective rack case. :)
  11. natrab

Dec 9, 2003
    Bay Area, CA
    Hm. It just seems like it would be safer if they put the tube inside the rackmount, since it's liable to get nudged or touch when on stage at a crowded gig. I guess if it sounds great, then I will be content.
  12. jokerjkny

Jan 19, 2002
    NY / NJ / PA

if its gonna be racked for gigging, might as well make the most of it, and protect that most beautiuous tube.
  13. jdombrow

jdombrow Supporting Member

Jan 16, 2002
    Colorado Springs, CO
    There is absolutely no reason for the tube to be sticking out of the chassis like that. Sure it loooks "unique", but it's a poor design. Especially on the front where there will all kinds of opportunities to bumo into it with something.
  14. bassmonkeee

bassmonkeee Supporting Member

Sep 13, 2000
    Decatur, GA
    I agree that it appears to be precarious. Perhaps a metal birdcage over the tube to help protect it could save the aesthetic appeal while acknowledging that most musicians are, well......dumb. :D Kidding, but I know I've backed into my rig more than once. Backing away from a falling drunk is a helluva way to knock an elbow into an exposed glowing tube. And, probably a buzzkill of the highest degree...
  15. natrab

Dec 9, 2003
    Bay Area, CA
    That's a good idea! I'd feel safer knowing there was something in-between the tube and the dangerous world of gigging :ninja:
  16. metron

metron Fluffy does not agree

Sep 12, 2003
    Lakewood Colorado
    I always wondered what was up with the two small bars on either side of the tube in the non rack version. Its like an attempt was made to protect the tube but it fell short by a few inches.
  17. Since the preamp is only ~ 8" deep, I'll have a recessed
    rack case made for it where I can lift up the front top
    for easier access to the instrument input; Brian informed me that the tube sticks ~ 1" out.
    Due to the fact that I've been ejoying the non rack unit for quite some time now I think I can live with that little modification. :)
  18. Fred Labbidie

Fred Labbidie Guest

Apr 22, 2004
    So.....I'd just like to know what the purpose of having the tube outside the chassis is? It's not hard figure out all the truly bad problems that can result from having the tube poking out of the chassis.

Is there a good reason for this?
  19. Mike Dimin

Mike Dimin

Dec 11, 1999
    Clinician: EA, Zon, Boomerang, TI. Author "The Art of Solo Bass"
    looks cool?

20. Fred Labbidie

Fred Labbidie Guest

Apr 22, 2004

Sure, I can see the visual appeal, and possible cooling benefits if the unit doesn't need to be moved. But....on a gig?