Dismiss Notice

Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, get alerts, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Low, Loud, Light...and small?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Bard2dbone, May 24, 2012.

1. Bard2dbone

Bard2dbone

Aug 4, 2002
    Arlington TX
    I just thought I'd drop in here and stir things up a little. I mostly have a pretty awesome rig and shouldn't need to change it.

Having said that, isn't GAS the normal condition for all of us here on TB?

So I always want to think what would be the ultimate 'This is the one until you die.' rig?

Well let's see. The perfect rig that we always hypothesize is something that is able to carry a decent low B, also able to be heard unassisted on a reasonable sized gig, and then until recently trickiest of all, able to be carried in one trip (dolly optional).

But after the advent of Neo speakers, I'd add that I'd like the cabs to be small enough to take in a back seat, because I don't always think I'll have my micro-SUV.

So maybe something like a neo version of the Bag End stack that we see on here so often, but I've never seen one in real life? Or something like the Schroeder 1512L that I was picturing recently? Or...you tell me.

What's the ultimate cab nowadays? I'm not as old school as some. My rig is fairly modern sounding. But not full on hi fi. What would be the ultimate version of it? Something that will fit on one dolly all at once, weigh about as much as a load of groceries of the same size, maybe go down to a low G below B, and blast out a stage full of Marshalls.

Yes I know it doesn't exist. But that's not the point.

Ok...GO!

2. Oobly

Oobly

Jun 19, 2008
    fEARful 1212/6/1, QSC RMX1450 power amp (bridged) and a selection of preamps to suit your taste (DHA, Monique, Demeter, UA, ART, etc.)

Maybe a rack mount EQ and good compressor to finish it off.

3. Register_To_Disable

4. carlis

carlis

Dec 28, 2005
    Let's say Low-Loud-Light-Little and summarize it as the famous 4-L principle!

5. Crockettnj

Crockettnj

Sep 2, 2005
    North NJ
    small deep INEFFICIENT cabs can be driven to high SPL (loud) too.

6. Eckie

Eckie

Jan 14, 2004
    Edinburgh, UK
    Aguilar Tone Hammer plus SL 112 or cheaper alternative cab is Hartke Hydrive 112. Good for 300W and less than 35lbs. Easily handes low B too.

7. lomo

lomo passionate hack Supporting Member

Apr 15, 2006
    Montreal
    Yeah. fEarful or similar 12-6 cab based on the 3012LF woofer, either alone or in a pair, with a powerful micro head (GK MB800 my choice). Other cab options = LDS, Barefaced, Audiokinesis. 2 of these 12s will bury a 410 for volume and low end definition and can weigh as low as about 25-35lbs each depending on box materials. Forget the Schroeder, which will be light and efficient but will lack meaningful content below 100Hz at gig volume.

8. CL400Peavey

CL400Peavey Supporting Member

Nov 7, 2011
    Grand Rapids Michigan
    +1

Or for more modulariry a fEARful 12/6 and a 12sub.

9. jlepre

jlepre Supporting Member

Nov 12, 2007
    Parsippany, NJ
    The rig I am currently working toward is (2) Epi UL1-115 cabs that weigh about 35 pounds each, and can handle 1000 watts without breaking a sweat. Puching this rig will be my Genz Benz STM-900. The whole rig weighing in at well under 80 pounds.

EDIT: SHAMELESS PLUG: Now if someone would just buy my 1288T it would be a reality!

10. CL400Peavey

Nov 7, 2011
    Grand Rapids Michigan
    Two 12/6's Smoke just about everything else in their weight class for low end though.

11. Bard2dbone

Bard2dbone

Aug 4, 2002
    Arlington TX
    I like it!

Basically what leads to these threads is that I haven't got a clue about current cabs. The most modern thing I've actually played through that fits these criteria were a pair of Bag Ends. I think they were S15's. That was close to ten years ago. I don't have a guess what's come and gone since.

12. jlepre

jlepre Supporting Member

Nov 12, 2007
    Parsippany, NJ
    I didn't realize there was a wrong answer. The OP was looking for opinions, and that was mine. I've had (2) 12's as my main rig before, and felt it was a little brittle for my tastes. I'm old school tone I guess.

13. CL400Peavey

Nov 7, 2011
    Grand Rapids Michigan
    I didnt say you were wrong. Just pointing out that the OP wants a decent low end extension on a cab.

Also driver size has little to do with tone, its about the whole cabinet design.

14. lomo

lomo passionate hack Supporting Member

Apr 15, 2006
    Montreal
    I thought new UL115s were 45 lbs each, and the series 1 vintage were 42 lbs?

15. Chef

Chef Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

May 23, 2004
    Columbia MO
    Staff Reviewer; Bass Gear Magazine
    The three leading contenders for cabs:
    TC115AF, Ff 12/6/1, Baer ML112
    Three great, small, gig ready cabs, three distinct flavors.

The ultimate micro head, for me, would be the impending GK MBF800.

16. tombowlus

tombowlus If it sounds good, it is good Gold Supporting Member

Apr 3, 2003
    North central Ohio
    Editor-in-Chief, Bass Gear Magazine
  17. Chef

Chef Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

May 23, 2004
    Columbia MO
    Staff Reviewer; Bass Gear Magazine
    True Story.
    I have the citation to prove it;)

18. CL400Peavey

Nov 7, 2011
    Grand Rapids Michigan
    +1

My PF-500 might be on the chopping block for a MBF800 when they come out.

19. Just to be clear, you can't really 'break that rule'. The Thunderchild is relatively low efficiency (by definition, due to the 3L's). What Duke did was OEM a 4ohm driver with pretty good mechanical specs, so you can push the cab to optimal performance with the typical micro head that puts out about 400-600 watts at 4ohms.

The 'loud' part of the 3L's does not represent 'loud' in an absolute sense, but rather 'loud per watt'.

The end result is the same, but not for the reason you would think when talking about the 3L's.

20. tombowlus

Apr 3, 2003
    North central Ohio
    Whaddya know? There's the guy who did that review! :D

+1 about the 12/6 and Baer ML-112. I'd throw the Acme Full Range in that category, too, especially if you throw something like an MB800 at it.

21. tombowlus

Apr 3, 2003
    North central Ohio
    Yes, it's still somewhat inefficient (93.97 dBSPL average between 200-900Hz), but it's loud enough in practical terms for us to give it a tongue-in-cheek citation for "breaking" that rule. :D