1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to post, make friends, earn reward points at our store, remove most ads and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Low output E string on a fretless?

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by Moog1000, Jan 21, 2006.

1. Moog1000

Moog1000

Dec 8, 2005
    UK
    Hi,

I have recently acquired a musiman 20th anniversary stingray unlined fretless. When I got it, I strung it with D'Addario half wounds 45-100.

I'm loving the bass but finding that the low E has a lower output than the other strings. The notes from say the 5th fret down are audibly quieter and indistinct. I have tried adjusting the height of the pickup, but this only servers to increase the volume of the A string also. I have noticed that the pole-pieces for the A and D strings are noticeably higher than the E and G. Is this a standard stingray thing? Or perhaps this volume thing is a characteristic of fretless bass?

What do you guys think?

Cheers

2. Kronos

Kronos

Dec 28, 2005
    Philadelphia, PA
    How's the action on the E string? Maybe instead of raising the pickup, you could lower the action on the E string? Kind of "bring the mountain to Mohammed". That way you won't have to worry about the A string.

3. Moog1000

Moog1000

Dec 8, 2005
    UK
    Thanks for the reply, I think the action on the E is as low as it will go before it starts rattling on the finger board. I'll try lowering it a bit and see what happens.