Low output E string on a fretless?

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by Moog1000, Jan 21, 2006.

1. Moog1000

Dec 8, 2005

I have recently acquired a musiman 20th anniversary stingray unlined fretless. When I got it, I strung it with D'Addario half wounds 45-100.

I'm loving the bass but finding that the low E has a lower output than the other strings. The notes from say the 5th fret down are audibly quieter and indistinct. I have tried adjusting the height of the pickup, but this only servers to increase the volume of the A string also. I have noticed that the pole-pieces for the A and D strings are noticeably higher than the E and G. Is this a standard stingray thing? Or perhaps this volume thing is a characteristic of fretless bass?

What do you guys think?

2. Kronos

Dec 28, 2005
    Philadelphia, PA
    How's the action on the E string? Maybe instead of raising the pickup, you could lower the action on the E string? Kind of "bring the mountain to Mohammed". That way you won't have to worry about the A string.
  3. Moog1000

Dec 8, 2005
    Thanks for the reply, I think the action on the E is as low as it will go before it starts rattling on the finger board. I'll try lowering it a bit and see what happens.