1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  
  2. Welcome Back!  Please see this thread for more info about the site outage.  Thank you for your patience as we work out bugs and tweak server configs.

Low output volume; dodgy pickups or dodgy wiring? HELP!

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by Thrashorfoff, Mar 18, 2016.

1. Thrashorfoff

Thrashorfoff

Mar 18, 2016
    So I bought a knock off Ricky (I know, silly idea to begin with... I'm poor and it's so beautiful, don't hate me!) and the volume is pitiful compared to my other basses. I don't know if it's to do with the (substandard I would imagine) pickups they installed or the (again substandard) wiring! I have no idea about electronics, basically I want to know if it's worth me buying a new pickup straight off the bat and getting it installed or if there's any possibility of it being fixed any cheaper!

It has stereo output, three pickups, tone, volume and a pickup selector. I hope to god someone can help me!

Cheers in advance!

2. JustForSport

JustForSport

Nov 17, 2011
    Raise the pickups- if they're too low, the output will be weak.

If that doesn't fix it, check the wiring, but usually if a wire is loose or something, it just won't work or will make crackling noises- usually not weak sound.

Good luck finding 'hotter' pickups for that- try to get them as close to the strings as you can w/o the strings hitting first, and try that.

3. sissy kathy

sissy kathy Back to Bass-ics Gold Supporting Member

Apr 21, 2014
    Arbutus, MD
    Probably the pickups. Others here have dissected them on occasion and You have nothing like they appear to be.

4. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Apr 13, 2021