1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Lowering Noise in DI Tracks

Discussion in 'Recording Gear and Equipment [BG]' started by MonsterBass101, Jun 4, 2011.

1. MonsterBass101

MonsterBass101

Mar 3, 2008
    SC
    Hey Everybody. I'm looking for a way to decrease the noise level in my tracks. I'm running a Direct box directly into my Tascam US-800 interface. However, when I bring the preamp gain up to a satisfactory level, I get a lot of noise in the signal. Is there any way to get good levels without extra noise?

2. DuraMorte

DuraMorte

Mar 3, 2011
    What is a 'satisfactory level'? Because your highest transients (peaks) should be hitting around -12dB, with the bulk of your note staying around -20.
    Also, you should be recording in 24 bit, not 16. Make sure your settings are correct.

3. What DI are you using? Are you boosting treble, presence or twisting any other noise prone knobs? Are you using a balanced output / input from your DI into the interface? Could also try gating your input to block out anything below a certain threshold.

4. Killspringer

Killspringer

Mar 24, 2011
    "noise" could mean anything. be more specific? post some samples? :meh:

use a denoise plugin with a "learn" function, find a part where there's only noise, no bass, hit "learn", and then push up the de-noise fader until you just barely take the noise out

5. buzz? hiss? clank?

different basses? different cables? ground lift?

6. Lulz

Lulz

Jun 5, 2009
    I think he means hiss.

7. kaputsport

kaputsport

Nov 14, 2007
    Carlisle, PA
    Atypical, not a typical...
    Get a hotter signal.

8. enricogaletta

enricogaletta

May 21, 2011
    Hey Probably it's just a issue due to grounds loops, you need to check it put with other device, anyway a professioanl D.I. will fix this issue ;-)
    Cheers.
    Enrico
    YouTube
    WebSite