Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Lowest Quality Mainstream Bassist

Discussion in 'Bassists [BG]' started by TappyT, Jul 28, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. TappyT

TappyT Guest

Jul 28, 2004
    Hello. I've recently registered here, and hope (yet doubt) that my stay will be long and enjoyable.

My question is: who is the least talented bassist in mainstream music? This question is not meant to discredit any bassist in particular, but rather give me insight into what constitutes average bass playing. We all know what a good bassist sounds like, but what about a bassist that barely cuts it, yet is never really critisized (either postively or negatively?)

2. Adam Barkley

Adam Barkley Mayday!

Aug 26, 2003
    Jackson, MS
    Just erase your post man, because it will be closed.

There is no best, never has been, never will be.

Also don't judge someone on their recordings, the bassist may be in a numetal band and play only root notes, but might enjoy playing classical cello solos on bass in his off time.

3. TappyT

TappyT Guest

Jul 28, 2004
    Just erase your post man, because it will be closed.

There is no best, never has been, never will be.

Also don't judge someone on their recordings, the bassist may be in a numetal band and play only root notes, but might enjoy playing classical cello solos on bass in his off time.

Probably, but i don't see why.

When we watch a movie, or a television show, many people can see a bad actor. They can pinpoint what is good acting, and what is bad acting. when reading an artice, we can tell if the author is a quality writer, or just a hack. And when looking at a painting, many can discern what is a good piece of art and what is just a hackjob.

What music, acting, writing, and painting all have in common is that they are creative arts. They take a certian amount of creatvity to produce. So why is it wrong to ask "please give me a bassist who is sub-par?" As noted, it isn't to discredit anybody. I also don't see what is so inherently wrong with being honest in critizing. We're free to say "Geddy lee is the greatest LOL" but we can't go the opposite route?

4. Fieldy :ninja: I suppose he IS criticized both + & -.
    There have been many threads on this, do a search. TB isnt a good place to ask that kind of question, seeing how there really is no correct answer. Oh well...good luck on you journey for the 'worst' bass player.

5. embellisher

embellisher Holy Ghost filled Bass Player Staff Member Supporting Member

These kinds of threads suck. IBTL

6. James Hart

James Hart

Feb 1, 2002
    toms_river.nj.us
    Endorsing Artist: see profile
    First off, Welcome to TalkBass I hope your stay is long and informative and enjoyable... I always look forward to what I can learn from other players.

Second, I understand your point fully... unfortunately, past experiences prove that this kind of thread ALWAYS turns into bitter attacks. Plus Music is art not a contest... there is no means of measure. One's most out of groove - out of tune root note flub can be another's most soulful sound... understand?

Third, please reread the head threads of every section before posting... this is covered in the one here in "Bassists"

Fourth, if you truely need a worst bassist.... I'll volenteer myself.

There you have it.

James Hart.... the worst bassist :smug: and It ain't no thing, cause I dig my stuff :p

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.