1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

LP shaped bodies?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by RadioactiveGuy4, May 11, 2011.

1. RadioactiveGuy4

RadioactiveGuy4 Supporting Member

Feb 24, 2011
    New Orleans
    Im am a big fan of LP shaped bodies but they seem to be kinda rare in the bass world. I found a pic online the other day of the schecter Damien Solo and fell in love with it but there is a problem. It looks like schecter no longer makes them :( and i can not even find one on the online music stores

Does any one have one of these basses and if so how does it feel and sound? (there are no reviews for it on TB)

Or any other LP shaped basses out there worth looking at?

thx

2. Hi.

You are in the same boat as I am it seems, LP shape gets my juices flowing as well.

Unfortunately what works great and looks good as a 6 string guitar, pretty much fails as a bass.

They may look good on a wall, but as soon as You strap one on, it just looks funny.

My GAS for a LP shaped bass pretty much ended back in the late 90's when I bought this:

diamandbas.

Czheckoslovakian Jolana Diamand of an unknown vintage.

Fun to play, pretty vintage tone, but looks like a toy on a full grown man.

Regards
    Sam

3. Barkless Dog

Barkless Dog Barkless to a point

Jan 19, 2007
  4. Yep, I've got a LTD Model.
    I gassed for ages, looked at Epiphone, Ibanez, Warmoth and finally settled on the Esp.
    Looks great, however I don't think I could play a whole gig with it.
    Massive neck dive, and average sound (which could be remedied) but it looks so damn cool.
    Probably will be in my stable for years, mainly as a wall hanging....

5. garmenteros

garmenteros Bass Enthusiast Supporting Member

Aug 24, 2008
    Dominican Republic
    I had one made to my specifications.

• One piece mahogany neck and body (inspired by the one piece design of jens ritter)
    • 35 scale
    • bartolini passive electronics
    • Leds
    • hipshot hardware

Its currently being painted but I've played on it quite a few times. Great tone and mine at least doesn't have any neck dive like many complain of the LP shape on bass.

IMG_2122.
    IMG_2121.
    IMG_2120.
    IMG_2119.
    IMG_2114.
    IMG_2107.

6. birdman14

birdman14

Feb 7, 2011
    Boston
    If you feel like dishing out more money, there is a Gibson Les Paul bass, which was oversized and, to me, looks more appropriate as a bass with the large size.

7. RadioactiveGuy4

Feb 24, 2011
    New Orleans
    I looked up the Esp Les Paul and that does look pretty cool. I will have to look up the Gibson and epi Les pauls.

Does any one know why the Lp shape is not used for basses that often? Some one said neck dive earlier but that could be an easy fix. Is there a sonic reason?

8. RadioactiveGuy4

Feb 24, 2011
    New Orleans
    I checked out the Gibson and Epi les paul basses

Gibson is like 2500 dollars :(

the Epi is 500 but only comes in one color and is a flat top :(

so far if i had to pick it would be the Esp

I really wish Michael Kelly made electric basses. I have 2 of their Guitars and they are 2 of the best i have ever played

Oh well i guess i will just have to keep dreaming for now...

9. Dean also do one, called the "XM".
    Saw it on Sam Ash today for $199....

10. Turock

Turock

Apr 30, 2000
    Melnibone
    Check out the Epiphone Allen Woody.

11. Barkless Dog

Barkless Dog Barkless to a point

Jan 19, 2007
    Buy used and the Gibson would be $1200 or less. A flat top Gibson LP can be had for $400-$800. Epi LPs used can be had for $200 - $400- These would be near mint.

Buy used, save a lot & if you resell, you would get most or all of your money back.

12. RadioactiveGuy4

Feb 24, 2011
    New Orleans
    Even 1200 is out of my price range and even if i wasnt i have yet to find a place that has one in stock for me to try in a 50 mile radius.

This may sound picky but the flat tops do nothing for me. If im getting a Lp i want the curved top. so that rules out the epi that and it only comes in the faded black

i will have to check out the dean...

13. I remember in the mid 90's Gibson made the Les Paul Bass when it had Bartolini pick-ups in it.
    I played this flat out nasty baby-puke green one in Albany New York when I was on the road.
    The only reason I picked it up was it was so stinking ugly of a color. Not a sea-foam green or anything cool/retro color. Just plain fugly green.

Anyway, played like a million bucks and had tone for miles.
    It's slap sound was killin'.

I should have bought that ugly a$$ thing of a bass.

14. Then there's the Guild M-85, but if 1200USD is beyond you then it may be as well.. but people do get lucky on eBay.

15. Turock

Turock

Apr 30, 2000
    Melnibone
    The Allen Woody is not flat top.

16. RadioactiveGuy4

Feb 24, 2011
    New Orleans
    I looked at the Guild and it does look like a great bass but yes outta my price range.

im looking up the dean next...

17. RadioactiveGuy4

Feb 24, 2011
    New Orleans
    true the woody is not a flat top i was refering to the other epi Lp

This will sound picky as well but i do not like the hollow bodies so that rules the woody out.

18. OnederTone

OnederTone Aguilar Everywhere Gold Supporting Member

Aug 15, 2002
    Thornton, CO

That sir, is sex with strings.

And I can't imagine any paint making it look any mo' better. Well maybe a nice cherry burst...

19. RadioactiveGuy4

Feb 24, 2011
    New Orleans
    There are no reviews of the dean on tb... anyone have one? Im at work and have limited internet right so i cant check other places ... damn filter...

i for got to comment before. garmenteros, how much did that work of art cost you...