Luckiest unlucky guy in the world?

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by Strat, Aug 20, 2013.

1. PazzoBasso

PazzoBasso

Jan 21, 2011
    YYZ
    Congrats on the KL!

Ken is one of the world's finest builders & (from my experience) a great guy too!

I'd be temped to keep the single coil & make a new, slightly nicer pick guard - especially if you're happy with the sound...

2. Strat

Strat

Jan 30, 2008
    Thank your for doing this...it makes it ver plain to see the problem. I'll measure again tomorrow and maybe you could draw the mm pickup over the current whole. Ken said a black pick guard would be my quick fix. Locals that have seen it in person say to put in the humbucker in front and just be stocked and play this thing!

ImageUploadedByTalkBass1377141577.622434.jpg ImageUploadedByTalkBass1377141592.371346.jpg

3. Hopkins

Hopkins Supporting Member Commercial User

Nov 17, 2010
    Houston Tx
    Owner/Builder @Hopkins Guitars
    No problem at all man. I already had that picture on my photo bucket from a while back. You shouldn't have any problem finding a pickup that will completely cover that rout and still sound great. Even if it has to be a 5 string pickup.

A jazzbucker would have been the obvious choice if who ever the goon was that routed that didn't blow the rout out at the end of the pickup.

I would go for something like this, The Ernie Ball Size would look great.
    http://www.bestbassgear.com/mc-5-he-s-l.htm

4. Strat

Strat

Jan 30, 2008
    Hey all! I recently found this thread again, and wanted to post the results! Thanks for all the suggestions. I had the route made bigger, added two Delano's, and a thin thumb rest across the top to hide the router damage. I really appreciate all the advice given back then!

Attached Files:

gg22, duncmill and Joshua like this.
  5. Glad you posted the finished outcome. Great choice of choosing pickups with no exposed poles. The smooth and clean look suits this bass. I bet it sounds as good as it looks. Great job.

Last edited: Nov 28, 2020
    duncmill and Strat like this.
  6. JuanB

JuanB

Feb 20, 2010
    Cool! Looks killer. How are the Delano's?

7. Strat

Strat

Jan 30, 2008
    I am in love with this combination tbh. The thing that had me worried was that I'm buying due to fit rather than for sound (or so I thought). To buy pickups via mail order without hearing them was a gamble.

These ended up being very, very well made, and compared to the Nordstrands which seemed a little too boutique/homebrew in construction, seems like I can expect many years of rocking out.

The combo of fat front dual bucker (which two of the JC4HE/M2 in the bridge side by side) and the bridge growler is great. The Delano's seem to give me a touch more headroom with the Duncan pre, and I can get nice growl in the back and extended big bottom woof up front! I was just so relieved that it all worked out to be honest.

8. Strat

Strat

Jan 30, 2008
    Close up of the ebony thumbrest that covers the bad routing on top of the front PU.

Attached Files:

9. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Aug 4, 2021