1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Lurker Finally Gets an Account

Discussion in 'Welcome Forum - New Member Intros' started by Wanker_Joe, Sep 29, 2017.

1. Wanker_Joe

Wanker_Joe

Sep 26, 2017
    Technically not my first post, but I did just notice this side of the forum and decided to jot down an introduction.

I've been lurking here a while, probably years actually, never really felt I could contribute much so I never posted, but who knows, eh? I've been dedicated to the low end for almost 23 years now. Played in a variety of bands and other situations. Self taught, and a giant wanker. You know the guy that plays way too many notes and decides that despite being a bass player they are the damn star that will rock the stage? That's me. "To hell with 'playing what the song requires'", I often say, "I am what the song requires!"

(As you can imagine I tend to be involved in projects that can best be described as "niche".)

I LOVE the bass. Subtle-laid-back-grooves and in-your-face-million-notes-a-minute wank fests. I love it all. I spend an inordinate amount of my time playing alone, late at night while the family is tucked into bed just exploring the wonders of our sensual and incredible instrument. It's meditative. My way to unwind after a long day at the office. Though I do have a long running band (been around 10 years now), that plays what can best be described as excessive, self-indulgent jam music. I also do a solo act, just vocals and bass, mostly covers though I throw in some originals as well.

Most of my time is spent playing my 2011 Warwick Streamer Stage II 5, which honestly is the best bass I've ever touched by a long shot and writing this out now I'm fantasizing about getting home to have some more time gently caressing it's solid afzalia body and neck. Ever notice how it seems to warm up as you play it? What a bass!

I recently (as in on Monday) also picked up a 2008 Spector Rebop 4 as a spare, to replace an aging Yamaha BBG 5 string. Pretty nice instrument. Super easy to play, loads lighter than my SSII, has the body shape I like and a wonderfully aggressive tone. Very attractive flamed maple top to boot. Recorded it during band practice a few days back and quite satisfied with the results.

Well I've rambled enough. I'm here! I'm probably not very knowledgeable about anything! But I do worship at the alter of lows, so I'm hoping I'll fit in just fine...

2. FingerDub

FingerDub Inactive

Jan 8, 2016
    Welcome man! Get used to drooling over new gear here. Any videos of your stuff you can post?

3. Wanker_Joe

Wanker_Joe

Sep 26, 2017
    Thanks! Also, yeah, to be honest the reason I visit this site is more often than not to ogle the incredible instruments that everybody posts (for sale of otherwise).

I actually have one video with the band I can post, we have more but to be honest I'm not sure where they are. I don't have vids of my solo stuff though. Sound quality kind of sucks since it was taken on a cell phone, but it's not too bad.

One thing to note is that my band doesn't really have any "songs", we just kind of wing it. You'll see me communicating with the drummer and other guitarist so we can plan transitions and endings. Good times! If you enjoy the music you can hear other stuff on our Soundcloud. little_albert

But hey, I'm not here to plug my band, I'm here to drool over bass pics! Here's a pic of my newest acquisition!
    20170925_162531.jpg

(I don't have nice pics of my SSII on my current phone).

4. FingerDub

FingerDub Inactive

Jan 8, 2016
    I like it! You are grooving and I love how the drummer has only a snare. Looks like you are all having fun which is what it's all about.

5. Wanker_Joe

Wanker_Joe

Sep 26, 2017
    Hey thanks! I've always been of the mind that if I'm not into it then why do it. My drummer is actually playing an electro kit that he's put together - a trigger bank and some floor pedals. It's an odd looking setup for sure, but one that's capable of quite a bit.

What about you? Any cool stuff to share? I love discovering new stuff.

6. NigelD

NigelD Supporting Member

Aug 14, 2013
    Welcome aboard.

7. Wanker_Joe

Wanker_Joe

Sep 26, 2017
    Thanks!

8. FingerDub

FingerDub Inactive

Jan 8, 2016
    This is my band.

Wildphyr | Rock from Valley Village, CA

That last drummer is gone but me and the guitarist stayed together and no we have an election violonist, and a new rhythm guitarist and singer. So I'm not sure what we will be yet.

9. Wanker_Joe

Wanker_Joe

Sep 26, 2017
    Very cool stuff. Thanks for sharing it!

FingerDub likes this.